Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbl-Htch View Post
    Thanks, I did download the manual already a few weeks back when I saw it posted, figured it would be a good thing to have anyway. I read your thread on how to reset the e-brake pins, it sounds pretty straightforward so I should be fine with that. Hopefully there'll be a few "success stories" to report on this by the end of the weekend!
    Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by kaotic; 01-21-2009 at 11:44 AM.

-Rob

*many moons later*

I took the calipers off and inspected all the pin boots, they were fine.. Also, cleaned up the pins because the previous owner used antisieze to "lube" them..

Then I cleaned them up with a brush and regreased them and put them back in. It helped, but not enough.. I think I just need new calipers all around, but until I get another car to drive in the winter i'm not going to waste my time. My brakes definitely work but they could definitely be better.. No sense in spending money on a second set of used calipers and getting them all cleaned up and rebuilt just to drive it in shit OH weather.. Grrr..

Also, on the rears, the front is getting full contact but when I took the calipers off to clean up the pins I noticed that the backside pad was only contacting the rotor halfway on the top part of the pad.

It rained last night so that's what the spotting is, it would come off as soon as I used the brakes.
    Last edited by iDom; 05-23-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Sometimes it could also be the pads themselves. If the backing on them is not built properly this is a very good chance of happening. I just find it odd that these new pads all of the sudden grab only half way. Just something to think about.

-Rob

Another thing to look into is the steel spring pad retainers/sliders, they will get dirty, corrosion can form under them and they get worn themselves. Make sure they are in decent shape. They should be replaced when you do a brake job, but are seldom included with the pads.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 05-23-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Yes I think the best thing to do is just get a second set and just rebuild them.

Question:
    Would the the RSX-S calipers in front or back bolt right up or is it not that easy?
    Also, if not the RSX-S calipers, will the 04-05 front ep3 calipers bolt right up to mine?

They bolt right up!!! The rears are all the same with the exception of 4 and 5 lug differences. If you are 4 lug now, the RSX-s wont work because that means you would have to also get the RSX-s rotors which are 5 lug. If you are 5 lug everything will work.

-Rob

Poo
    :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information