Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Difference between sound quality

Today I noticed the huge difference between an auxiliary port (blitzsafe) with ipod touch and a CD in our completely stock stereo. All of a sudden I have nice full sounding bass no hiss and I can damn near crank my radio almost all the way up.

Is it like this with all ipod adapters ? Why such the huge change in sound quality?

my cd player doesn't even play cds anymore lol. but i do have an adapter for my iphone, and it just sounds way better then the radio. we dont get any kind of hd signal on our radios so we always here crap radio sound. when my deck does play cds, it does sound better than the radio itself.

i think thats what you mean anyways. anything>radio.

i hate to be that guy but...
    get an aftermarket deck

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037N7R58

i got this one
    it still looks like it belongs because of the silver on the deck..it matches the silver on the stock ep dash perfectly as well as the amber color light at night

you'll notice much better sound overall =]]

Wurd.
    ^Yah, this, lol! Then speakers, amps etc. and sound gets better. Then you lose your hearing and can't tell anyway...

Back on topic... your ipod is using a compressed form of music, so data is lost. I THINK but am not sure that most mp3's are about 128kbps, and cd quality is about 320kbps. Perhaps an audio guru will step in and explain a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTechEP3 View Post
    Canada has the Eh?3 Know what I'm talking aboot?

Mp3's cut out alot of the body of the music detail, averaging and compressing. This muddies the sound compared to CD quality, some head units and adaptors have a expander that creates and fills in the areas between averages and boosting peaks, it sounds better, but is far from being true to the original music.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Thanks for the replies

Mp3's come in a bazillion different compression ratios, with 128kbps being the norm. The more compression there is, the more high frequency sound gets lost. This leads to "tinny" sounding music, especially higher pitched stuff (CD's are actually closer to 1500kbps in quality).
    This whole situation gets worse if you use the type of Ipod adapter that broadcast's a radio signal that you pick up with your stock head units radio.

The best format I've found so far is called "flac" for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Mp3 players that play .flac files start at about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    Mp3's come in a bazillion different compression ratios, with 128kbps being the norm. The more compression there is, the more high frequency sound gets lost. This leads to "tinny" sounding music, especially higher pitched stuff (CD's are actually closer to 1500kbps in quality).
    This whole situation gets worse if you use the type of Ipod adapter that broadcast's a radio signal that you pick up with your stock head units radio.

The best format I've found so far is called "flac" for Free Lossless Audio Codec. Mp3 players that play .flac files start at about $30.
    o.O i always try to rip/ download as high kbps files as i can

does that help?

im using blutooth to play my music from my phone and it sounds as good as cd

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    Truth, I've got a Bob Marley discography of .flac files, it blows away quality of any other music in my library.

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2 View Post
    o.O i always try to rip/ download as high kbps files as i can

does that help?
    Yes, the higher amnt of data(kilobytes)/time(seconds) means that the sound is LESS compressed. CD's>MP3 players>Radio
    Last edited by whatsvtec; 04-15-2011 at 09:54 PM.

The sat services also use a massive compression scheme, I have all reference series equipment and the higher the grade electronics the crappier the MP3 format sound's even with all the MP3 boost gimmicketry. MP3 was a huge step backwards for the music industry and proves the point that quality is no longer a asset for a product.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    MP3 was a huge step backwards for the music industry and proves the point that quality is no longer a asset for a product.
    Exactly... All the industry cares about is LOUDNESS.

The sat services also use a massive compression scheme, I have all reference series equipment and the higher the grade electronics the crappier the MP3 format sound's even with all the MP3 boost gimmicketry. MP3 was a huge step backwards for the music industry and proves the point that quality is no longer a asset for a product.
    well you have to admit...
    having an mp3 player/ipod/phone whatever device that has all your music
    is a helluva lot more convenient than having a bunch of cd's

im sure compression and bitrates and all that mumbo techno jumbo that makes sound quality better will catch up with time as does all technology
    and im also sure as long as you're not a audiophile...
    you won't hear the difference between 320kbp/s mp3 file and cd quality

The difference is very easy to hear, and my hearing is shot all to hell and back from jet engines.

I have a MP3 player, it hasnt had the power turned on in well over 4 years and I have never owned a ipod because the sound is so sub-standard, and I no longer have a XM subscription for that reason and the fact I only listened to 2-3 channels and just wasnt worth it. I never owned a phone that was anything more than a phone.

Simple convenience does not make a product good if quality suffers, that is what is wrong with society today, quantity and convenience over quality and substance.

Now if you want an awesome listening experience try a virgin mastered LP through a modern design vacuum tube amp, simply amazing. But it is not very practical for a mobil setup....LOL

I will probably end up with some sort of ipod type storage device for the off road truck, simply because there is no moving parts to break when off road. Do they make a cheap head unit that has a USB port and internal memory? Now there is where the technologies shortcomings are overcome by their being resistance to shock, vibration and movement while offroad.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 04-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.

man i cant wait to school some one on music sound quality today lol

T
    Now if you want an awesome listening experience try a virgin mastered LP through a modern design vacuum tube amp, simply amazing. But it is not very practical for a mobil setup....LOL
    yeusssss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information