Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Official Lug Nut Picture & Discussion Thread (H-T inspired)

Figured we had enough wheel threads, lets have a thread for the often overlooked but very vital part to the car's wheel/tire/suspension area. Inspired by the official lug nut thread on Honda-Tech, thought id make this thread for everyone to show off their lug nuts. When you post a close up of your nuts, please include what brand/model they are, the material they are made of, cost, durability, etc. Ill be posting my nuts soon. Now for the discussion part, for those in the know...I have a set of Blox Street Series forged aluminum lug nuts (extended open end)...my main concern with these nuts were the material they were made of, aluminum. Granted they are forged, anyone have experience with their nuts made of aluminum stripping? Now I know one shouldnt use an impact gun on these things but often the impact gun is used by lazy techs at the shop who wont take the time to tighten/loosen them by hand. Ive always tipped off the dude working on my car to insure he would do the deed by hand. Anyways post up your pics and discuss.
    Last edited by DRP967; 04-21-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Also anyone have experience with Muteki lug nuts? I wanna swap out my Blox lug for these. I just have better peace of mind with steel lug nuts vs. aluminum. Now I heard good things about Muteki lugs, but not so much positive about the key. Supposedly the key is easily stripped? Maybe its cause its a thin wall socket? Anyways those with Muteki lug nuts please tell me your experience with em, good or bad. Thanks

Only lugs nuts I've used on my cars have been either Gorilla (cuz im cheap and they work), McGaurd(for lock nuts) or Skunk2. The skunks were nice, very light, only downside to them was 1. no lock, 2.since they were forged, they got scuffed up pretty easily. Still good lug nuts either way.

Right now with my summers I'm runnign just a set of black gorilla spline drives and black mcgaurd lock nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Only lugs nuts I've used on my cars have been either Gorilla (cuz im cheap and they work), McGaurd(for lock nuts) or Skunk2. The skunks were nice, very light, only downside to them was 1. no lock, 2.since they were forged, they got scuffed up pretty easily. Still good lug nuts either way.

Right now with my summers I'm runnign just a set of black gorilla spline drives and black mcgaurd lock nuts.
    You know I have read a lot about the Gorilla/McGard brand and the critical reception on em has always been 50/50....I dont know what to think. Half of the people say they are bad, strip, etc. The other half swear by em and say they are built tough and can wistand the worst of the worst condition...im like well which is it? Are these lug nuts bad or good. You had a good experience with em and thats good, but for every positive I read about em I read a negative. I am also thinking about running the Gorilla brand of lug nuts. Im over the pricy blinging nuts...well with the exception of Project Kics. All i need is a durable, strong, steel, black lug nut like the Muteki/McGard/Gorilla...if only I could know for sure since as I mentioned some say they are solid while others say they are weak.

my old car (S14). Kic's R40's.

^
    Nice lug nuts, wheel, brakes, everything.

So do you still have the lug nuts? How did they hold up? Is the finish still good? (neochro color still true)?\

Did you use impact/power tool on em? Or was it hand tighten/loosen?

the finish never wore off, but they dented easy. lol, you could see little impressions on them. i got lazy and used an impact.
    sold it last summer to help fund school.

^ lovely ride man.

Dented? Damn lol
    Last edited by Princess; 01-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.

i have muteki lugnuts. havent had any problems with my key tho. but finish does come off. mine were blue and now semi chrome. so quality of paint is cheap. but overall least there all lockng lug nuts. props to your neo chrome ones tho. stand out but look really good.

My sister just got me a set of muteki sr48 open ended neochrome lugs. I really like the looks of them and they feel very solid. They were only 115 bucks too which isnt bad compared to the price of all other neochrome nuts. I havent put them on my car yet because its in the middle of a swap but if i ever finish it ill post them up. Also id stay away from aluminum lugs. My buddy bought a cheap set from the local speedshop for his mugen nr's i think theyre called. But they all ended up stripping and one of his wheels almost came off while he was driving.

Quote Originally Posted by JaydmEp3 View Post
    i have muteki lugnuts. havent had any problems with my key tho. but finish does come off. mine were blue and now semi chrome. so quality of paint is cheap. but overall least there all lockng lug nuts. props to your neo chrome ones tho. stand out but look really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    My sister just got me a set of muteki sr48 open ended neochrome lugs. I really like the looks of them and they feel very solid. They were only 115 bucks too which isnt bad compared to the price of all other neochrome nuts. I havent put them on my car yet because its in the middle of a swap but if i ever finish it ill post them up. Also id stay away from aluminum lugs. My buddy bought a cheap set from the local speedshop for his mugen nr's i think theyre called. But they all ended up stripping and one of his wheels almost came off while he was driving.
    1. I just picked some short/close end black Muteki lug nuts yesterday. Put em on and no chippage...for some reason the black is durable as hell finish wise. I know this cause my my friend picked up the blue ones yesterday and as soon as he put a socket to em...the blue color started to chip. (We put our lugs on at the same time at his house). I even took the socket/key and rubbed it back and forth one of my black lugs...the finish just did not chip lol. We tried the same on his blue lug and it chipped like a mofo.

2. Hmmm yeah I think id rather think to steel lugs or titanium (but titanium lugs is $$$).

However I did run Blox street series forged aluminum lug nuts for the longest time with no issues...maybe its cause we never used an impact gun on em so thats why they didnt strip.

*Taken from Blox's website*

BLOX Racing offers forged AL7075 magnesium alloy lug nuts. Each lug nut is forged, then CNC-machined to specifications.

Forged AL7075 lug nuts are perfect for both performance and show enthusiasts. Each feature knurled ends for better grip and are anodized for durability and show quality appeal. For maximum results, use with BLOX Racing Extended Wheels Studs.

Available in 12x1.5 and 12x1.25 thread pitch patterns.

So I guess they are not 100% aluminum, but forged AL7075 magnesium alloy so that means they are stronger than full aluminum nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by DRP967 View Post

Also anyone have experience with Muteki lug nuts? I wanna swap out my Blox lug for these. I just have better peace of mind with steel lug nuts vs. aluminum. Now I heard good things about Muteki lugs, but not so much positive about the key. Supposedly the key is easily stripped? Maybe its cause its a thin wall socket? Anyways those with Muteki lug nuts please tell me your experience with em, good or bad. Thanks
    i"m been running those since 2007, sold the old car with them, and bought a new set... no complaints whatsoever... i have the chrome ones, 3 years and no rust.

mitchell_ep3, thats great to hear. I just had em for a day lol but so far but so good.

Now you didnt have any issues with the key socket in terms of breaking/stripping? Also when you had em, was an impact gun used on em for tightening/loosening or was everything done by hand?

i had a set of Muteki SR48s, then bought some Buddy Club P1 Racing lug nuts from SHG..lightest lug nuts ive ever held.

gonna buy some soon..might go with either S2k CR lugs or Spoon
    PSN: theehuggybear

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEP3 View Post
    i had a set of Muteki SR48s, then bought some Buddy Club P1 Racing lug nuts from SHG..lightest lug nuts ive ever held.

gonna buy some soon..might go with either S2k CR lugs or Spoon
    Any issues with the Muteki SR48s? Strip/break the key? Did you use impact gun/powertool or hand tighten/loosen? How about the Buddy Club?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information