Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

My turbo build, from scratch. Two new prototype Kseries topmount manifold designs!!!

Hey Guys

Ive been fabricating a custom built high performance turbo setup specifically for the EP3 chassis and its getting close to completion so i thought it should have its own thread.

I'm sure all of us familiar with k series turbo setups know how much a pain run of the mill side mounts can be. First off you have to relocate everything and its mother away from the mass of hot pipes now running right behind the valve cover. Then you have to deal with heat issues from the down pipe that's usually running right by the brake master not to mention having a dump tube snake around everything. And last but not least is problems with the actual turbo location. Some companies even decide to angle the turbo past the recommended 15 degrees maximum for the center section. This can lead to excessive smoking out of the down pipe and possibly even lead to premature bearing failure.

I designed this manifold with complete consideration of all these issues and problems. The first one was built off of a TSX with the help of LoCash, however sadly enough his manifold never reached a fully completed stage. Fast forward to now and after tweaking the manifold a bit more and playing with gate locations its almost ready to breathe some k20a3 fire. One issue withTSXs/ Ep3's and I'm assuming Rsx's is the room or lack thereof to even install such a large piece of metal from the bottom without unbolting a bunch of stuff and dropping the subframe. I had to get a bit creative....

The CTD K series T3 Top mount was born, dubbed affectionately "The Special K"

Here is a pic of turbo placement on a K24 in a TSX. 35R T3 open, 3" downpipe. This engine bay is quite a bit cleaner than mine so I'll put these pix up first, haha.

57 Trim, nice little 400 hp setup

Not yet ported 100%, flange also needs to be machined

Little more progress on intercooling this beast.

So I like options, that's why I will be designing this kit with both a Water to Air Intercooler and a normal Air to Air front mount. I ordered a nice little 500HP core from Bell Intercoolers and started brainstorming.

After discussing with our in house engineer about end tank design we decided to go a bit more in depth so he CAD modeled the core with tanks and did a complete CFD Analysis. This is the start of the design process to fabricate the best end tanks possible to utilize the core to its fullest potential.

I hope to have a downpipe tacked together tonight, clearance looks to be the same as a TSX chassis, full 3" with room to spare. I have kpro and a walbro ready to be installed.

Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks for reading guys and this is my personal car so i plan on making the very best kit I can. This is also my first full K build so if you have any helpful tips please feel free to share.:up::up:

I am still currently working on the other top mount design. I will say that it is a fully divided long runner manifold designed only to work with a certain OEM true Twinscroll turbo. It is similar to some of the new bigger Borg Warner EFR turbos that are also divided yet internally waste gated. This lets the you have a true twinscroll setup yet not have to worry about the hassles of buying and installing two wastegates and dumptubes.

These manifolds will be dyno'd back to back

Hope it all works out for you..... I would like to see the fitment in an EP3 and not a TSX tho ....

ephatch member
    glad to see you posted over here. I can't wait to see what these manifolds do. Do you still have the a3 or have you swapped too?

The second car with the blue valve cover is my Ep3. I really should have pressure washed it before starting this project, haha.

Fitment is guaranteed on any K series in any chassis except the FA/FG

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    glad to see you posted over here. I can't wait to see what these manifolds do. Do you still have the a3 or have you swapped too?
    Ep3 love :) Been awhile since ive been on here, the backwards posting is kind of hard to get used to.

I still have the bone stock K20A3 and I hope to push it to around 350 on both setups. If anything happens to go wrong I also have a backup JDM K20A waiting. Everyone undervalues the A3, I want to see what it can do. N/A I have pushed the Ultra-Lean tuning envelope with over 25:1 afrs light cruising and 18.5:1 high speed cruising. Vtec-E FTW!

This is super cool

So who will sell this mani?

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    This is super cool
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    So who will sell this mani?
    Pm'd

More progress...

I fit the teardrop wastegate and I am very pleased with the location. Currently I'm using a TurboSmart Comp 40mm gate but a Tial 44 should fit also no probem. The dumptube is very simple, a 7 inch long straight! Less welds, no bends, less cost to the consumer and higher reliability. It also looks like offering a Recir dump tube will be a possibility. The mock up return line also worked out very well and has quite a bit of room to spare around the hot stuff. This will be taken to the local fitting supply store to be made all one piece. I have mocked up the return using a "No weld" banjo fitting but will also have an option for a weld/tap on bung. Who doesn't like options right???

Since my Ep is bone stock and has all the stock lines in place I would like to show you how this setup clears everything. One of my main goals in this project is to minimize relocation of anything.

So....the JDM Fairy showed up last night

I have always wanted an up-pipe car so I threw one together. I happen to have a large sack of pre-cut 3" 15 degree pie cuts left over from my "JDM Bender Bot" sculpture. My hood already had a dent in the front so I thought adding a hole in the top wouldn't be so bad. I do plan on making a regular 3" downpipe soon but you gotta have a little fun sometime right?

I should be starting her up by the end of the week!!!

Super
    Fucking
    Cool
    Last edited by DRP967; 01-21-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctd-fab View Post

PM'D
    Hurmmmmmmm.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a bit of progress lately.

Trying to split my time with my Ep and things that actually pay the bills, haha. Everything is just about cinched up, the up-pipe is bolted on and half-welded. The PO decided to strip a valve cover nut so Im waiting on a replacement stud from the dealer. I did throw on a little black paint because the blue definitely wasn't working for me. Off to get a bit of heat shielding wrap and she might be ready to fire up tonight.

Plans are to check for leaks and go for a little spin just to see how see sounds. Still needs mounts installed, injectors and fuel pump installed. I also might have picked up a little water/meth kit for an chemical intercooling setup Ive always wanted to try....Pre-turbo water/meth injection. In theory I should be able to nix an intercooler and might even be able to create lower than ambient temps.

I'm dying to hear the whistle though, been awhile since Ive had my own turbo car.

ephatch member
    this looks awesome keep up the good work (pm'd)

Sick McNasty..
    suscribed

Sounds a little wicked...not gonna lie.

I'll throw up a bunch of stuff tomorrow

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information