Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6.5 spks cutting door up for install?

i installed 6.5inch speakers into my ep a while ago

i cut my drivers side door to make it fit like im suppose to but it cut messy and took wayy to long(few hours)
    so i didnt cut my passenger side door i decided to install the small spacers that came with it...

the spacers helped it fit without cutting but it still hits the metal on the door a little

but i noticed that theres a rattle-ish noise coming from that speaker

so my question is what did you guys use to cut the door?
    show me a picture of it also because...i have a hand dremel but idk if its exactly what you guys used

i used a metal hand saw... took foooorrreeevvverrr! but it works no rattle since i have the bass in the back so i only use them for mid and the tweeters take care of the highs since they are components
    what do you mean it hits the metal? like the back of the speaker? or where you mounted it to?

uhhh, my speakers fit fine with the mounting ring and no cutting required...pics please
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    uhhh, my speakers fit fine with the mounting ring and no cutting required...pics please
    yeah mine fit fine too, but i was in a rush to put them in so i completely forgot about the spacer and started cutting, now when i install my rears soon im gonna do it right this time around :)

ah....i'd have to take apart the door again to take pics

it doesnt go all the way on perfectly flush and the sides hit the metal on the door(not the back; so yes the mount)

the sides are what is stopping it from sitting flush(hole needs like an extra 1.5-2 inches)

dunno if that description made sense?

like i said i dremel the hole on the drivers side door and it fits; screwed on flush; no rattle noise
    just don't wanna sit around cutting a friggin hole for 3 hrs again
    i feel like there's an easier way/tool so i can do it within an hour

i have the db651 in the front
    http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5...4404121&sr=8-1
    Last edited by NEO_FOLLOWER2; 05-02-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2 View Post

i cut my drivers side door to make it fit like im suppose to

No cutting here, just spacers.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

http://www.k-series.com/content.php?...n-EP3-Civic-Si
    http://hondaswap.com/car-audio-secur...peakers-83291/
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1213545

i'm not the only one who has cut the door panel...its not uncommon
    i did it on an em2 to fit speakers in but the metal was thin-ish and cut fairly easy so it didnt take too long

let me add that the spacers my speakers came with are only like... .25inch thick...maybe not even that much
    i bought big spacers and the door panel wouldnt go back on right. so i'm pretty sure im not doing anything strange by cutting it

just trying to find help so i can save time when i go back and cut the other door...

idk man, i swear those would fit without cutting. i was going to pick those up too, the sound amazing when they are amplified.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    idk man, i swear those would fit without cutting. i was going to pick those up too, the sound amazing when they are amplified.
    yeah man they do sound amazing and theyre super cheap on amazon
    bestbuy has them for twice as much

i guess im gonna try to use longer screws maybe....

if any has an easy way to cut the door feel free to post still.

I didn't use the trim/adapters my speakers came with, I bought some adapters off ebay or a website or something back in 06...

Is this a clearance issue on the magnet? I know that's a common problem

If you need to space it, why not get some sort of material and cut and drill to make your own spacers, or buy the ones off ebay
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    I didn't use the trim/adapters my speakers came with, I bought some adapters off ebay or a website or something back in 06...

Is this a clearance issue on the magnet? I know that's a common problem

If you need to space it, why not get some sort of material and cut and drill to make your own spacers, or buy the ones off ebay

it's currently colliding where i have it circled in green
    i have 3 bolts on it but the 4th bolt wont go on because it doesnt sit flush

i've already cut one side lol might as well do the other side for uniformity...?

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2 View Post
    http://www.k-series.com/content.php?...n-EP3-Civic-Si
    http://hondaswap.com/car-audio-secur...peakers-83291/
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1213545

i'm not the only one who has cut the door panel...its not uncommon
    i did it on an em2 to fit speakers in but the metal was thin-ish and cut fairly easy so it didnt take too long

let me add that the spacers my speakers came with are only like... .25inch thick...maybe not even that much
    i bought big spacers and the door panel wouldnt go back on right. so i'm pretty sure im not doing anything strange by cutting it

just trying to find help so i can save time when i go back and cut the other door...
    The first link they didn't even attempt a spacer, and the other two are just forum bozo's going on hearsay.

I'm using one of the biggest magnet 6 1/2"'s available, and all I used was this from any car audio supplier...

I'm telling you man, it can work. You might have to modify the inside of the door panel speaker guard area, I can't remember. But its better than hacking your door to pieces.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Quote Originally Posted by POOPTOOTH View Post
    The first link they didn't even attempt a spacer, and the other two are just forum bozo's going on hearsay.

I'm using one of the biggest magnet 6 1/2"'s available, and all I used was this from any car audio supplier...
    I'm telling you man, it can work. You might have to modify the inside of the door panel speaker guard area, I can't remember. But its better than hacking your door to pieces.

i had those from a previous install but didnt fit with the door panel...so i started hacking my door -_-. i didnt think to mod the door panel

like i said i alrdy did one
    i just want to find something thatll cut the other one easy

be weird to only run one spacer on one side

Plasma cutter.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

I cut my doors for speakers to, I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade.It worked good, the cut is clean and it only took me minutes each door. You can pick a cheap one up for $20. After cutting the hole I put tape around the new hole both for the sharp edge and to avoid rattling since there isn't any metal to metal contact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information