Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

k20a2 cams in k24a2

I have pretty much teh complete internals of a k20a2 head and wanna install in my k24a2. ive been searching the threads and can only find stuff on this setup into an a3. I know how to perform the work, i just wanna know if all im gonna have to work about is making sure that the cams are aligned at TDC with the crank. If so i wanna make sure that i wont run into a problem of valve clash. and how hard is it going to be to tune the new setup.

Well there is absolutely no difference between the heads internals really, other than camshaft profiles, no need to swap anything but the camshafts. Depending on if it is a 06+ K24A2, the K20A2 camshaft swap would be a serious downgrade prior to VTEC engagement with only very minor gains up top. The combo that seems to work very well is a 06+ TSX intake camshaft with a 05+ typeS exhaust cam.

Make sure to follow the K24 manual as far as camshaft timing and not the K20A2.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I have a 04 k24, i was told that the valve springs are not as strong on this motor and that the k20 ones are slightly better. Also i got all the stuff for 90 dollars, he had a 04 type s, blew the bottom end of his motor and went and bought a 06 k24(bastard) and sold me the cams and whatever else i wanted to grab for 90 bucks, so i took it all lol, but if the springs are the same, ill leave my stock ones, less work anyway. The bottom of the head had minor damage though so i left that and the valves.

what k24 manual are you talking about? do i buy it somewhere or can i look it up online and download. I do most of my work just from general knowledge, this is my first time swapping something internal that isnt originally there though.

figured for the price i paid for the cams it was worth the upgrade. im hoping to actually beable to get 40 degree instead of 25 like i do. also i wanted to get higher lift.

talon is right its a down grade. Get 06+ tsx cams and call it a day. Be carefully where you get your info. Dont be the noob that wants to buy everything dc5 cause they think its better cause its from a dc5

Quote Originally Posted by VIZHUNZ02SI View Post
    talon is right its a down grade. Get 06+ tsx cams and call it a day. Be carefully where you get your info. Dont be the noob that wants to buy everything dc5 cause they think its better cause its from a dc5
    I thought it was a upgrade for 04 k24a2 and downgrade for 06 k24a2. maybe the springs are the same, but my cams just wont turn to the 40 degree command. is there a problem with my motor then?

Get the intake cam gear modified like it says on the hondata site and you will be able to turn 40* no problem.

http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html
    Last edited by japarossa; 05-11-2011 at 10:27 AM.

I have an 02 dc5 vtc gear but not sure if I want to put it in or not what are the chances of v2p contact ?

Iwas just reading that page, and from what im getting, putting in the the vtc machanism will give me my lift just how i need, but its better to leave the intake cam alone, because i will lose a lot of low end torque? so should i replace the vtc mechanism and just put the exhaust cam on?

Quote Originally Posted by i11 b3havior View Post
    I have an 02 dc5 vtc gear but not sure if I want to put it in or not what are the chances of v2p contact ?
    on the hondata site, it said you can run 45* safely, but because the clearance is smaller than k20 its risky running the full 50*

yea I know that 45 is the highest safe but there is settings for it I think i'm just going to wait and get mine machined and just not run the risk !!! where in palm beach are you ? i am in west palm

I wouldn't run the full 50* vtc on a k24a2, any chance of v2p contact is to much for me.

I just wanted to run the 40* that the kpro cam command says instead of 25*, im not gonna waste money on getting my cam machined, i have all the k20a2 stuff, so i should beable to get the lift with out that. i live in boynton, you ever go to any meets anywhere?

yea I hear ya it is pretty expensive for that little bit of a machining I just moved out of boynton 2 weeks ago I'm surprised I haven't seen you around before ? nah no meets do you know of any ?

Quote Originally Posted by japarossa View Post
    I wouldn't run the full 50* vtc on a k24a2, any chance of v2p contact is to much for me.
    thats exactly how I feel !!! but it is also just sitting there and have heard of people using it with no issues at all

Quote Originally Posted by i11 b3havior View Post
    yea I hear ya it is pretty expensive for that little bit of a machining I just moved out of boynton 2 weeks ago I'm surprised I haven't seen you around before ? nah no meets do you know of any ?
    you probably have, my car dont look like my avatar anymore, its champ white/matte black 2-tone now. but its alsonot my daily so she sits at home alot.
    the only meet i actually go to is in boca, and sometime theres one over on lantana and 441

im doing more reading on this hondata site and really just trying to decide... i think i may just swap the vtc mechanism and leave my cams, it says the our lower cams are all larger, just the higher one isnt, but then the power im gonna gain up top to the power im gonna lose down low isnt worth it, so it would be best just to change the vtc mech.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information