Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    where and when is it in boca ? I work in pompano

There is a chance of uncommanded full 50 degree cam advance occuring. This can happen when the ECU is doing readiness checks. I would have the stock TSX VTC mech machined for 45 degrees, it is not that bad cost wise really, especially compared to having to rebuild or replace the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulieep3 View Post
    I just wanted to run the 40* that the kpro cam command says instead of 25*, im not gonna waste money on getting my cam machined, i have all the k20a2 stuff, so i should beable to get the lift with out that.
    It is not the cam that gets machined, it is just the inner chamber within the VTC mech.

VTC does not generate any additional lift, it just adjusts where and when the lift occurs.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 05-11-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

im sitting in an uncomfortable chair so i kinda skimmed through here. if you have the vtc gear from the dc5 then you're good, just swap it out with the k24a2 one. just make sure your tune doesn't go past 45*.

sell all 4 of those cams, and get rbb2 cams (05-06 tsx).

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    im sitting in an uncomfortable chair so i kinda skimmed through here. if you have the vtc gear from the dc5 then you're good, just swap it out with the k24a2 one. just make sure your tune doesn't go past 45*.

sell all 4 of those cams, and get rbb2 cams (05-06 tsx).
    Like said before, even if you tune the dc5 vtc to 45* it can still go past that right to 50* and you will probably be rebuilding the motor. The reason to machine the vtc mechanism is to stop it from being able to go to 50* ever whether its during readiness checks or a misshift.

when is the readiness set? after start up?

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61319

there was a point made, do they have issues running a k20 head (im guessing also with k20 50* vtc) on a k24 block.

i mean, i have my ep3 vtc gear on my k24a2, and i've started it and let it warm up just fine. but i dont know for sure whats going on cause i haven't driven more than 30 ft.
    Last edited by AKEP; 05-11-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulieep3 View Post
    I thought it was a upgrade for 04 k24a2 and downgrade for 06 k24a2. maybe the springs are the same, but my cams just wont turn to the 40 degree command. is there a problem with my motor then?
    04 k24a2 is not as powerful as the 06+. so if you took a 04 head and placed k20a2 cam you're gonna lose mid range just to make very little hp up top. now it you got 06 k24a2 cams thats and upgrade from the 04 cam profile. as far as the vtc gear not hitting 40 degrees is simple. you need to A:modify the stock 25 degree vtc gear its self like how hondata has theirs to 45 degree vtc gear. or B: get a 50 degree vtc gear from k20a2 and slap it on. i will warn you. take it to a good turner that can bring out max power when dealing with a 50 degree vtc gear. most people avoid it due to v2p

The issue is with piston valve pocket design on the TSX pistons, not with the head, the heads are virtually identicle in the combustion chamber shape, displacement and valve/rocker/cam position.

Readiness is checked when certain parameters are met, not just starting, or mileage etc, but a whole slew of factors. Readiness is also not simply checked one time and all is good, but continuesly as the parameters are met.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 05-11-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Ok, im convinced, im sure i can sell all this A2 head stuff for a profit anyway and just get the mechanism machined, will probably do that, and just use that for a while until i get some extra money together for newer cams, i will probly try the combo that talon suggested with the intake/exhaust from different motors.
    now next question is with the amount of money im gonna spend getting 06 tsx cams and z1 cams would it be more beneficial to just buy aftermarket cams?
    and if i buy aftermarket cams, or use those cams am i gonna have to buy new springs and retainers to avoid any valve float?

Quote Originally Posted by i11 b3havior View Post
    where and when is it in boca ? I work in pompano

Monday nights at like 9:30 at the five guys, that meet gets pretty thick.

machining

Oh yea, also, who on the site machines the mechanism for a good price? or what company can i send it too to get it done? and what is the average price i should be looking to pay?

The typeS springs and retainers will fit the TSX head and provide protection against valve float seeing the K24 CAN not rev reliably to the typeS's rev limit.

Do not let those rockers go cheaply, a NIB rocker costs 180$ and a Kseries uses 8 rockers. The internal locking pins and springs parts of the rockers are not sold individually and can and will launch across the garage if you are not carefull !!!

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    The typeS springs and retainers will fit the TSX head and provide protection against valve float seeing the K24 CAN not rev reliably to the typeS's rev limit.

Do not let those rockers go cheaply, a NIB rocker costs 180$ and a Kseries uses 8 rockers. The internal locking pins and springs parts of the rockers are not sold individually and can and will launch across the garage if you are not carefull !!!
    Noted.... so it would actually be a good idea to change out the springs and retainers after i get the mechanism done since ill have it all apart anyway. just fro some added protection.

It sure wouldnt hurt to install the typeS springs and retainers. It also wouldnt hurt to change out the valve stem seals, very cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    It sure wouldnt hurt to install the typeS springs and retainers. It also wouldnt hurt to change out the valve stem seals, very cheap insurance.
    Very good call, will deff do that, any idea best place to get the mechanism machined? I want to send it to someone who knows wtf they are doing.

Any local machine shop will be able to machine the VTC, just take them a print out of the hondata page so they can see the measurements and what part needs to be machined.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information