Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

But my dad says...

Well i really need to change me ep3's oil.I got 5k on syn.My dad has a 95 nsx and tunes and reads alot about hondas and told me to use pennzoil ultra.He saw tests where it cleans your engine yadda yadda and how ferrari uses it in there us models.Should i grab a 5 quart of the stuff ya think?He uses in on his honda and raves all about it.

get redline 5w30 and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by hothatch View Post
    Well i really need to change me ep3's oil.I got 5k on syn.My dad has a 95 nsx and tunes and reads alot about hondas and told me to use pennzoil ultra.He saw tests where it cleans your engine yadda yadda and how ferrari uses it in there us models.Should i grab a 5 quart of the stuff ya think?He uses in on his honda and raves all about it.
    Your dad is correct; Pennzoil Ultra is an excellent product. However, so is Pennzoil Platinium, and if you are planning to change motor oil every 5K, they are comparable. You can compare Pennzoil's Product Data Sheets (PDS) on their website. I'd go with 5W-30.

I have used the Pennzoil ultra and platinum, decent oils and a good stand in for amsoil.

As long as you stay away from the 0wXX's and xw20 oils you should be fine.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I concur with all above statements...I drive on redline 5w30 and its been great
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

I've been reading up on bobistheoilguy.com forums - lots of people with k-series engines have posted up their oil analysis and all of the PP ones look really good. I may end up using it after I'm done breaking in my build.

Ya and i heard from dad that they ran the penn ultra in some dirty engine then opened it up and the engine was sqeaky clean after one run.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    I have used the Pennzoil ultra and platinum, decent oils and a good stand in for amsoil.

As long as you stay away from the 0wXX's and xw20 oils you should be fine.
    I use amsoil sig series 0w-30. Do you recommend against this? It still has a kinematic viscosity of 10.5 at operating temp which is desirable for our motors. I'm just curious about your stand on 0w oils.

crap ,you guys are saying you should go 5w30?I put in PP 5w20 is that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by hothatch View Post
    crap ,you guys are saying you should go 5w30?I put in PP 5w20 is that bad?
    Yeah honda had a re-call on ep3's and other engines when they were running 5w20. Be easy on the engine till your next change and everything should be fine, switch to 5w30 then.

Your dad has an NSX? Pics or I'm gonna have to say
    In for pics!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKone View Post
    I'm just curious about your stand on 0w oils.
    Too thin for a Kseries DD in the lower 48, other than a few locations during the winter months.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Too thin for a Kseries DD in the lower 48, other than a few locations during the winter months.
    whats really interesting is on the way back from the bar with my father the other night, we got on the topic of my friend obtaining a redline sponsorship or become a dealer, for my friends motorsports company hes building (im his builder). partially because i love redline and would like him to get hooked on it over that royal purple junk, and also because i want a way to get it for cheap. ANYWAY, back to my anecdote, my father started telling me that back in the 70s, when he was building the formula 2 and 3 cars in europe, they were all hooked on redline because of its film strength, so they were all able to run WAY lighter oils than what was available. Then when he got bask to the states and started racing in formula ford, ralph loining built him his trick motor, my father said no one east of the rockies was running redline and wondered if he could run a lighter weight oil, and loining said he should definitely do it. also because of the oil, he should stop running his oil cooler because of the properties of the oil, and the film strength at higher temps, he wouldnt loose lubrication. PLUS he could drop 20lbs off the car, and on a 800lb formula car, 20lbs is a lot of weight...

anyway, doug, your mention of lower weight oils reminded me of this and i thought i would share the neat old racers story i picked up thursday.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    whats really interesting is on the way back from the bar with my father the other night, we got on the topic of my friend obtaining a redline sponsorship or become a dealer, for my friends motorsports company hes building (im his builder). partially because i love redline and would like him to get hooked on it over that royal purple junk, and also because i want a way to get it for cheap. ANYWAY, back to my anecdote, my father started telling me that back in the 70s, when he was building the formula 2 and 3 cars in europe, they were all hooked on redline because of its film strength, so they were all able to run WAY lighter oils than what was available. Then when he got bask to the states and started racing in formula ford, ralph loining built him his trick motor, my father said no one east of the rockies was running redline and wondered if he could run a lighter weight oil, and loining said he should definitely do it. also because of the oil, he should stop running his oil cooler because of the properties of the oil, and the film strength at higher temps, he wouldnt loose lubrication. PLUS he could drop 20lbs off the car, and on a 800lb formula car, 20lbs is a lot of weight...

anyway, doug, your mention of lower weight oils reminded me of this and i thought i would share the neat old racers story i picked up thursday.
    I've always loved redline products, especially in 2-stroke stuff growing up. I'll have to get some once I'm out of this amsoil. Twat about lucas oil? lol

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    I've always loved redline products, especially in 2-stroke stuff growing up. I'll have to get some once I'm out of this amsoil. Twat about lucas oil? lol

in my dd ef, i had put some 5w-30 whatever in it. had some minor leaks and whatnot. i put lucas in it and no more lost oil. and noises stopped. motor ran great. changed the oil and im back at square one.

I've ran Honda's 5w20 for 7.5 years.

I've never had any problems and I don't baby my motor at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information