Close

Grind In 3rd Gear :(

Hey all,

Recently developed a grind in 3rd gear. But here's the strange bit. It only happens when I go from 2nd to 3rd when I'm wide open on the throttle past 4000rpm. If I downshift from 4th to 3rd and the revs go past 4000, no grind.

What gives? It's driving me nuts, and I need to fix this.

Any insight is appreciated. I figured I could change the transmission fluid, but to my understanding that'll only help to a point.

Thanks,

Don't slam your gears and time your shifts with the rpms between gear ratios and it wont grind...most people have excessive grinds with these transmissions because they don't time their shifts...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Your 2-3 synchros are shot from improper shifting or a weak/damaged clutch more than likely. I would change the trans MTF (use Honda MTF) and see if that helped, a pedal adjustment could also be needed.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Your 2-3 synchros are shot from improper shifting or a weak/damaged clutch more than likely. I would change the trans MTF (use Honda MTF) and see if that helped, a pedal adjustment could also be needed.
    Ya that too...also if its hard to get into gear from a stop then the clutch may have puked a spring. if its not doing that, its just improper shifting
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    Don't slam your gears and time your shifts with the rpms between gear ratios and it wont grind...most people have excessive grinds with these transmissions because they don't time their shifts...
    fblKDEFLAjdfJDMghlASaKJfuckSDHVLKGHALf!!!!!!!! when should I shift ?

Quote Originally Posted by McTaggart34 View Post
    fblKDEFLAjdfJDMghlASaKJfuckSDHVLKGHALf!!!!!!!! when should I shift ?
    Wondering if you're really being serious or not. If you are, then the basis of it is each gear has a certain RPM at certain speeds, for example, lets say you're at 3500 in 2nd going 40, and 2500 in third at 40. That's your upshift/downshift point i guess. So its best if you shift between the two at that point, so if you're in third going 40, you want to clutch->neutral->rev to 3500->clutch->shift to 2nd to properly down shift. So basically, ANYTIME you shift, whether it be shifting up or down, you want to shift at the point where the gear you're shifting to matches up with the speed you're going and the RPM. hopefully that helped a bit D:

Jonathan come pick me up and take me for a rip so I can see what your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Supaduck View Post
    Wondering if you're really being serious or not. If you are, then the basis of it is each gear has a certain RPM at certain speeds, for example, lets say you're at 3500 in 2nd going 40, and 2500 in third at 40. That's your upshift/downshift point i guess. So its best if you shift between the two at that point, so if you're in third going 40, you want to clutch->neutral->rev to 3500->clutch->shift to 2nd to properly down shift. So basically, ANYTIME you shift, whether it be shifting up or down, you want to shift at the point where the gear you're shifting to matches up with the speed you're going and the RPM. hopefully that helped a bit D:
    That...
    my ep is white...

Mines use to do that but after I changed the Honda oem trans fuild in, it went away

Thread Information