Close

What if... K20a3/a2

hi guys, i have search about it but i haven't find anything, yes, i read in every place that its a bad combination because the compression is too low and the rods are weak, its not worth it, blah blah blah... i got a fully built a2 head, skunk2 cams stage 3, supertech valves, springs, ti retainers, seats, guides, and i was thinking if i buy eagle rods and 12.5:1 compression pistons will it be as good or even better than a k20a2... other thing, do i have to buy rsx-s rods? im thinking to go with k pro, cai, race header, exhaust, 70 mm throttle, ect... how much can i expect (whp) and the tranny, if i put some ACT clutch and flywheel... that should do it?

I WILL APPRECIATE THE HELP GUYS

#1: Buy Kpro
    #2: Spend $$ on k24a2
    #3: wind up much happier.

Just my suggestion. This has been covered a lot. Check the swaps section out and search around. There's people who have done it and others who will tell you not to waste time.

There is a lot of reading you have yet to do. It seems like you think building a k engine is like building the best cheeseburger a man could ever eat. You cant just throw parts that seem like good stuff at it and think it will perform, much less be reliable. Your ingredient list above is sure to give you heart burn if assembled/tuned incorrectly...

A k20a2 head on a k20a3 is not a bad thing, it just doesnt mean you get the same performance as a k20a2.

Forged rods are great, but did you know the k20a2 rods are forged?

Did you know the k20a2 crank is forged?

Did you know you could swap in pistons with a higher CR and use k20a2 rods with a k20a2 crank in a k20a3 block?

The k20a3 has potential, dont think you have to toss tons of $$$ into it to get some HP. But if your goal is a fire breathing, moon revving 2 liter, the k20a3 prolly isnt the best place for you to start.

Nicely put

Beautifully put ba82ep3...people don't seem to understand engines are a carefully crafted, engineered number game...baller parts don't always work with bad ass parts HAHA
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

If you are going with 2.0L w/forged pistons and a A2 crank then the BEST block to start with is an A3! No oil squirters to deal with!

But as mentioned above there is the issue of the crank/rod bearing size, the A3 uses a smaller dia rod end journal. This greatly reduces the rpm and power potential before failure starts to occur, but should be able to handle a NA setup, so make sure to get a set of A3 forged rods, I would consider something other than the Eagles, Crower comes to mind.

stage3 Junk2 cams are a tad on the large side for a DD, I wouldnt go any further than a stage2 camshaft myself.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Bump. I'm getting an a2 head (supertec duel valve springs, ti retainers, type s cams) with rbc and wondering if I can run it with my stock ecu?

I thinkin not because our a3 only uses the intake cam for vtc and the a2 uses both cams.

I kno, I kno... Get kpro.... I'm gonna get it when tax money comes(:

Nvm I found my answer..

you know i was thinking the same as you....did you finish the setup or still in the proccess. i have a ep3 too, yea yea yea we dont have a true vtec. but on the other hand i have a extra motor which is a k20a2 from my bro rsx-s, he spung a bearing due to lack or oil buring. The head is good, and is a plus too cause is a completed motor with everything. my goal was to swap out my head a3 with his head which is a a2. i been researching alot but never find anything or any video that ppl actually competed this swap. i know our a3 compression is not as high as the a2, but what im planned is keep the a3 block, through in some je rods and high compression pistons, slap the head on with kpro...my planed was not to rev this thing 8k everyday or take it to the track, i just want the vtec to scream like my bro a2. let me know if you finish this set up.

Thread Information