Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

4 lug brake upgrade options, AEM big brake kit, RSX calipers?

Hey guys, I have a question regarding brake upgrades for a 4 lug '02.

I am researching brake upgrades for the 02 civic and have done some searching for different options but wanted to lay them out here and get all your advice on it.

- pads SS lines, rotors. this is the most basic upgrade as i understand,but i was hoping for something that would give a bit more stopping power and pedal feel.

- RSX calipers / rotors,: how much of an improvement is this really? and is this even possible without going to 5 lug setup on my car?

- AEM big brake kit: i seem to find references to the AEM brake kits that use a larger rotor, and a spacer to move the caliper out so that it works with the new rotor. are these still available? and if so how much do they cost? How is brake pedal feel with these?

-OEM replcements:are there larger calipers / rotors from other honda cars that can be fited to the ep3 (with mild modifications) to our cars?
    Last edited by cyllarus; 07-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Rsx-s is a great upgrade. However you have to go 5 lug, but that's a good thing. More wheel options....

First i'm going to ask why are you looking at a brake upgrade? Are you experiencing brake fade?
    Last edited by liquid cooled; 02-04-2009 at 09:30 PM.

-Rob

Hey rocks,
    you're the exact person i was hoping would reply, all your advice seems knowledgeable, and experienced.

the car is a DD, and big brake upgrades like wild wood are too $$ for me right now. overall my feelings are that the pedal feel is crap, and that under hevy breaking, i simply dont have confidence in the stock setup.

RXS brakes are a no go b/c i would have to swap to 5 lug, which means i would have to buy new rims.

I was hoping someone would have some info on the AEM big rotor kits, since i think thats the kind of performance im after. hower the change in front / back brake balance concerns me.

It always seemed that 4x100 had way more wheel options?
    http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/WIL-1...-220-6860.html

Hell these seem good too
    http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/STP-979-40003.html

Seems pretty cheap to me? about the same price as a decent 5 lug swap. Don't forget you'll need to sell your rims and buy a new set as well

Quote Originally Posted by cyllarus View Post
    Hey rocks,
    you're the exact person i was hoping would reply, all your advice seems knowledgeable, and experienced.

the car is a DD, and big brake upgrades like wild wood are too $$ for me right now. overall my feelings are that the pedal feel is crap, and that under hevy breaking, i simply dont have confidence in the stock setup.

RXS brakes are a no go b/c i would have to swap to 5 lug, which means i would have to buy new rims.

I was hoping someone would have some info on the AEM big rotor kits, since i think thats the kind of performance im after. hower the change in front / back brake balance concerns me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    It always seemed that 4x100 had way more wheel options?
    http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/WIL-1...-220-6860.html

Hell these seem good too
    http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/STP-979-40003.html

Seems pretty cheap to me? about the same price as a decent 5 lug swap. Don't forget you'll need to sell your rims and buy a new set as well
    Ok here's my advise. Since you're on a budget and want to keep your current wheels you only have one good option. But before we get to that i want to throw some things out there...

As far as the Willwood kit goes i would pass on it (don't really need them). The only thing that's appealing about it is the fact you get 4 piston calipers and that's it. The rotors are still small in comparison to stock. If you buy a BBK you buy it because you are having heat issues under hard braking so you want something with more material to dissipate that heat and cool faster. Well you cant really do that with something pretty much the same size if you are already having issues to begin with on the stock set.
    The second option which i think is by far the best not only for performance but also for the amount of $$. New good aggressive pads, ss lines and top notch fluid will up the temps on your brakes before they start getting to hot and give you good solid bite. I would also skip on drilled or slotted rotors. We're on a budget here and that's one thing you honestly don't need and can save a pretty penny on. Cheap blanks will be plenty good and they will work pretty much identically as any other name brand slotted/drilled rotor out there.

Now if you still run into temp issues at the end of long straights i would honestly look into making some kind of ventilation to the front brakes. All you need is two brake ducts from the front bumper which should keep the temps way down.

-Rob

I had ebc slotted rotors, ss lines and motul fluid and barely noticed any difference. I'm running the 4 lug stop tech BBK and I absolutely love it! Much better braking now!

Quote Originally Posted by lbk02si View Post
    I had ebc slotted rotors, ss lines and motul fluid and barely noticed any difference. I'm running the 4 lug stop tech BBK and I absolutely love it! Much better braking now!
    You forgot to add the pads that's why lol.

-Rob

Allot of ep owners take the splash shield off in the wheel well so it ventilates allot better. Plus its a free mod

Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    Allot of ep owners take the splash shield off in the wheel well so it ventilates allot better. Plus its a free mod
    True!! But its such a PITA to take it off if you don't have the entire knuckle off of the car. Bending it back as much as possible is an easier way to go about it then putting the vent tubing right in front of it should work well.
    I remember taking mine off and it was a bitch even when i had nothing but the knuckle in front of me lol. You basically have to cut it off once you unscrew the 3 little screws between the hub and knuckle.

-Rob

that stop tech kit looks promising. not a bad price either. with ss lines on my bike i can feel the motul600 expand. i know its not ep but yeah, all new lines rotors pads and fluid, should be pretty sweet.
    Last edited by powdbyrice; 02-06-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    that stop tech kit looks promising. not a bad price either. with ss lines on my bike i can feel the motul600 expand. i know its not ep but yeah, all new lines rotors pads and fluid, should be pretty sweet.
    It does but way over priced.
    Same performance with:
    Front + Rear blank rotors $66
    http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/200.../Brake-Rotors/
    If you want Axxis pads Front's $80 Rears $60
    http://www.buybrakes.com/store/45-04650U
    http://www.buybrakes.com/store/45-05370U
    Russlle SS brake lines $90 (BTW is that Gaurdians car at the top??)
    http://www.clubrsx.com/clubep3/RUS-684890.html
    And i use ATE brake fluid which runs around $15

Total = ~ $315 give or take
    Last edited by 27rocks; 07-04-2011 at 09:43 AM.

-Rob

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    For the amount of money you are talking for an upgrade, you can get a Wilwood brake kit from Corsport for about $608 shipped with lines, less rotating mass and easy replacement rings. If you actually plan on tracking it, this is the best low buck setup for 4 lugs. Lucid Moments tracks his Ep3 with this exact setup.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...4d2849f1cb12b0

A DIY oem big brake kit would be redrilled to 4x100 RSX-S rotors (there are guys who've done it on here), CRV/DC2 ITR calipers (much bigger piston for more clamping force), CRV Hawk HPS pads and SS lines.

redrill RSX-S rotor like so...

Last option would be HPS pads, SS lines, and some DOT 4 fluid(which should be standard on all of these upgrades if you brake alot).
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 07-04-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    For the amount of money you are talking for an upgrade, you can get a Wilwood brake kit from Corsport for about $608 shipped with lines, less rotating mass and easy replacement rings. If you actually plan on tracking it, this is the best low buck setup for 4 lugs. Lucid Moments tracks his Ep3 with this exact setup.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...4d2849f1cb12b0

A DIY oem big brake kit would be redrilled to 4x100 RSX-S rotors (there are guys who've done it on here), CRV/DC2 ITR calipers (much bigger piston for more clamping force), CRV Hawk HPS pads and SS lines.

redrill RSX-S rotor like so...

Last option would be HPS pads, SS lines, and some DOT 4 fluid(which should be standard on all of these upgrades if you brake alot).
    I was thinking of this exact thing but he will need at least some 16's to fit over the calipers. Or will they clear the 15's?

-Rob

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Yea, he'd definitely need at least 16's...

crv>type-s calipers?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information