Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skunk 2 Cams or k20a2 Head

Hey, This is my first post here coming from honda swap and just wanted to introduce myself here and say ive heard great things about this forum. I have searched but came from nothing i guess because its to specific but heres my question:

Since the k20a3 is not a "real" vtec but more of a "econo" vtec I would like to switch the head for a k20a2 head. My other option was same a few benjamins and just get new skunk 2 stage 3 cams and adjust the vtec engagment.

So that was it and all input is accepted and wanted. If this is in a old thread just please give me a link you dont have to flame me please.

Thanks, Rob

Depends on your long term plans. NA, boosted? IMHO OEM is the way to go. I wouldn't bother swapping heads, swap motors. Longevity is big with me, OEM Honda has longevity. Some people like the Skunk products, I do not. There are way better cams than Skunk, though they cost more. Save your bones, swap the motor for an a2 or k24. Then decide where to go from there. My .02c

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by HondaFreak View Post
    Depends on your long term plans. NA, boosted? IMHO OEM is the way to go. I wouldn't bother swapping heads, swap motors. Longevity is big with me, OEM Honda has longevity. Some people like the Skunk products, I do not. There are way better cams than Skunk, though they cost more. Save your bones, swap the motor for an a2 or k24. Then decide where to go from there. My .02c

Christian
    It would be N/A but would cams and a new vtec engagement point act as a k20a2 head? Im not 2 big on swapping engines because its a daily and need my car everyday so the time in and out of the shop isnt worth it.
    Last edited by j0000stin; 02-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scruffythewild View Post
    It would be N/A but would cams and a new vtec engagement point act as a k20a2 head? Im not 2 big on swapping engines because its a daily and need my car everyday so the time in and out of the shop isnt worth it.
    I mean if my motors fine now im not gonna mess with it but when the tranny or engine goes im swapping both for a 6 sped rsx trans and whole k20a2. Thanks for the tips tho

People DO daily drive a2 swaps in ep3's. I daily drove a ITR K20a swap in my ep3. And I can honestly say your reasoning about having your car in the shop makes no sense. An a2 swap is about 6-10 hours of work for a competent mechanic. And would NOT require an in and out of the shop multiple times. Are you doing the head swap? Or going to a shop? Have you done a head swap? Do you know how to check the head your recieving to see if its warped? Do you know how to "deck a block"? K-Pro will change your engagement point have you thought of that? If you've made your mind up, you don't need us to cheer you on, just go do it. Don't be hasty to just DO something to your car. Your going to gain little hp and ruin (IMHO) a perfectly good short block. And when it blows something, your right back at spending 2-3k for an a2 or k24. If your gonna do it, make sure you know and understand WHAT your doing. I'm not bagging on you for your choices. It's your money. Your choice.

Christian

Ps. Btw. You can't do the head swap without a new K-Pro ecu. So your car is gonna be down a week while Hondata works on your ecu. Or you'll have buy a second ecu so your not down.
    Last edited by HondaFreak; 07-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaFreak View Post
    People DO daily drive a2 swaps in ep3's. I daily drove a ITR K20a swap in my ep3. And I can honestly say your reasoning about having your car in the shop makes no sense. An a2 swap is about 6-10 hours of work for a competent mechanic. And would NOT require an in and out of the shop multiple times. Are you doing the head swap? Or going to a shop? Have you done a head swap? Do you know how to check the head your recieving to see if its warped? Do you know how to "deck a block"? K-Pro will change your engagement point have you thought of that? If you've made your mind up, you don't need us to cheer you on, just go do it. Don't be hasty to just DO something to your car. Your going to gain little hp and ruin (IMHO) a perfectly good short block. And when it blows something, your right back at spending 2-3k for an a2 or k24. If your gonna do it, make sure you know and understand WHAT your doing. I'm not bagging on you for your choices. It's your money. Your choice.

Christian

Ps. Btw. You can't do the head swap without a new K-Pro ecu. So your car is gonna be down a week while Hondata works on your ecu. Or you'll have buy a second ecu so your not down.
    Ok thanks so what ill probably do is run this motor till its dead then get a k20a2 with trans. This is what itll be.
    http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30015
    I cant tell does this come with a tranny? Again thans for the help , Rob

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    If you want instant satisfaction and a little more power that MAY or MAY NOT make you happy for a bit, just get some Skunk2 Stage I cams and throw them into your K20a3 head. It doesn't require Kpro and will bump you a few whp, or better yet a JRSC "Street Kit".

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    If you want instant satisfaction and a little more power that MAY or MAY NOT make you happy for a bit, just get some Skunk2 Stage I cams and throw them into your K20a3 head. It doesn't require Kpro and will bump you a few whp, or better yet a JRSC "Street Kit".
    If i didnt do the swap at all going back to my original question could i swap out the cams for stage 3 cams and a new vtec engagaement point?

If i didnt do the swap at all going back to my original question could i swap out the cams for stage 3 cams and a new vtec engagaement point?
    You can not simply swap in the stage 3 cams, they will require new valve spring seats, valve springs and retainers, and best of all, Kpro!

And it still will NEVER operate like a 3 lobe vtec engine, the stage3 cams still retain a 2 lobe system and will usually require a LOWER engagement point, around 22-2400rpm's, BTW the stage 3 cams are still only slightly bigger than the small cam lobe on the stock K20A2 camshaft.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 07-06-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Wait.... You can run skunk2 stg 1 cams without kpro tuning??

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    You can not simply swap in the stage 3 cams, they will require new valve spring seats, valve springs and retainers, and best of all, Kpro!

And it still will NEVER operate like a 3 lobe vtec engine, the stage3 cams still retain a 2 lobe system and will usually require a LOWER engagement point, around 22-2400rpm's, BTW the stage 3 cams are still only slightly bigger than the small cam lobe on the stock K20A2 camshaft.
    Ok so now i am back to what i said b4... Just swap the whole engine for a k20a2 do you think the trans is necessary or can i keep the 5 speed and do the six speed later?

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    Wait.... You can run skunk2 stg 1 cams without kpro tuning??
    yep

Ok so now i am back to what i said b4... Just swap the whole engine for a k20a2 do you think the trans is necessary or can i keep the 5 speed and do the six speed later?
    it all depends on your overall goals like someone said below. But i believe i saw you said in the end you would want to go N/A. If thats the case then go with the 6 speed tranny

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    it all depends on your overall goals like someone said below. But i believe i saw you said in the end you would want to go N/A. If thats the case then go with the 6 speed tranny
    Ok thanks anybody know any sites to get the trans besides ebay bcuz i can only find engines unless this comes with it i cant tell:
    http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30015

Craigslist.org

Car-part.com

Call junk yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information