Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY: Cheapy Air intake

First off im in no way reasonable for anything you do
    Needed
    1. 3'' cone air filter -
    2. small breather

remove the air box top as you would to change the OEM filter.
    Then there are two bolts on the left. there might be more on your car, but two for me cause the previous owner or i could be wrong
    put the cone filter in the stock elbow and tightening it. Then put you breather on the valve cover.
    Done.
    Not the best DIY iv ever written because i wasn't going to make one. But i did anyway dont hate no me.

Picture and Video.

Holla at me
    Last edited by McTaggart34; 07-12-2011 at 07:15 PM.

K a may be wrong but last i knew, a breather filter is actually harmful for your car if its naturally aspirated. It creates moisture into your engine creating problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DPhine524 View Post
    K a may be wrong but last i knew, a breather filter is actually harmful for your car if its naturally aspirated. It creates moisture into your engine creating problems. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Never heard of that be for . But any little moisture that would get in there would burn up when you start the engine. Someone else wanna chime in here.

Sent from my IPhone 4 not using taptalk.

And I quote

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    This thread will probably cause a nice discussion.

IF YOU ARE NATURALLY ASPIRATED, DO NOT install a filter on the VC like below.

It sure does look alot nicer than stock, but it will INTRODUCE moisture into the engine. The heater element that is placed there heats the air up removing the moisture as the air travels back and forth from engine pulses. This moisture can be seen as RUST on the cam shafts and a milkie deposit in the intake mani(from PCV) After a long time the moisture will settle in the engine oil as well.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

I didn't remove the heater element i just added the breather. So i should be good ?
    Last edited by weltall; 02-06-2009 at 02:41 PM.

I thought that was a emission control called crankcase venting that recirculates the HC built in the cylinder head into the intake to lower hydrocarbon emissions. Doing what McTaggart did simply vents the HC's to atmosphere. Ontario Drive Clean won't like seeing that when it comes time to emission testing. CARB vehicles in CA state will not pass smog testing if they see that. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by DA9_GSR View Post
    I thought that was a emission control called crankcase venting that recirculates the HC built in the cylinder head into the intake to lower hydrocarbon emissions. Doing what McTaggart did simply vents the HC's to atmosphere. Ontario Drive Clean won't like seeing that when it comes time to emission testing. CARB vehicles in CA state will not pass smog testing if they see that. Just a heads up.
    Just had mine done.. will put the stock back on when the time comes

Nice diy.. Very tempting.. but after reading on decided that its not worth jeopardizing the engine.. Just to understand a little more, what is the purpose of the breather?.. Is it for exhausting or intaking? Im a little confused...

Lmfao!! I did this for a year wit my car and its still on there. I did a lil breather tube thingy too. Lookin for a actually intake now tho cuz its looks really cheap when other people sees it lol

As in for gains, I felt it accelerate a lil faster and the trottle response was better

Its sounds really good too lol

Quote Originally Posted by yorzawx View Post
    Nice diy.. Very tempting.. but after reading on decided that its not worth jeopardizing the engine.. Just to understand a little more, what is the purpose of the breather?.. Is it for exhausting or intaking? Im a little confused...
    The VC port is an INLET for air during the majority of operation, in some instances it will outflow slightly. The air mass goes in 1", out 1/2", in 1", out 1/2" due to internal pumping, the PCV is a constant draw applied to the crankcase through intake vacuum. The system used by the Kseries is very different than other engines due to the VTC's EGR affect, and no EGR system. If you live in a very humid enviroment the heater section of the VC breather acts as a dryer to remove the additional moisture before it finds it's way into the engine(add a oil vapor catch can on the PCV line and it will be milky if there is no heater)

When boost is added it changes the entire operation of the PCV/engine breather system.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 07-15-2011 at 05:32 AM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

sounds good, but nice and illegal. I hope you dont get stopped or have MTO look at your car. Its about a $450 fine for having a crank case breather. Your better option would be gettin a small peice of aluminium piping (can get it from Performance Improvements on Dunlop st.) get a small plastic nipple or weld on a metal nipple and plumb it up properly again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    sounds good, but nice and illegal. I hope you dont get stopped or have MTO look at your car. Its about a $450 fine for having a crank case breather. Your better option would be gettin a small peice of aluminium piping (can get it from Performance Improvements on Dunlop st.) get a small plastic nipple or weld on a metal nipple and plumb it up properly again.
    You stocking me ? lol

I don't really understand what you mean, but i do.

Quote Originally Posted by yorzawx View Post
    Jeopardizing the engine?! Lolz. I bet your car stays bone stock. There's a lot worse you can do then putting on a breather.

I could make a cheaper intake. Toilet paper tubes and duct tape. In these tough economic times, one can never be too thrifty.
    Last edited by k3rry; 02-07-2009 at 03:29 AM. Reason: added

Sooooooo basicallyyyyy a breather is noooot that bad lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information