Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A3, A4, A2, cams, heads, what to do

Yeah so whenever I post anything its super long and no one reads it, so I'll be to the point.

2002 k20a3 142 k, severe cam galling, insane valve tick, oil burning,

No kpro YET

(k20a3)

A friend of mine has a k24a4, 100 k on it, head is apart and its immaculate. He wants $250 for the motor.

Do I buy it and swap out my exhaust cam?

Do I buy it and swap out the a3 head?

Do I swap in the entire a4?

Do I swap in the a4, and do a vtec killer?

Boost the a4?

Too many miles, a4 sucks, fuck it?

Is my a3 toast?

What to look for further on the k24 to ensure it'll be healthy?

I want this to be a discussion with lots of helpful insight and opinion, please.
    Last edited by ep3jd; 07-26-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Swap in the a4. Do you have KPro?

You could leakdown test it.

I'm sure you can find an ex camshaft from someone who put aftermarket cams in their a3. If you already have KPro that a4 is too cheap to pass up tho...

Swap the K24a4..... you can still run your stock Ep3 ECU.... just so you can still drive the car.

No kpro yet

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Hey dude,

I have a spare set of cams in another Ephatchers hands. If you need a set of FREE a3 cams, provided you use them and don't sell them, I'll contact him and get him to send them to you if you need. Just let me know.

i would go this route, but i dont think you have this in mind. sell a bunch of parts or something, cop the block, then cop a k20a2 head, and kpro drop it in and do the damn thing! and go from there. just because with the k24a4 i dont think you'll be satisfied with just that. plus i know you have a beater car to drive around in the meanwhile. that's just my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Hey dude,

I have a spare set of cams in another Ephatchers hands. If you need a set of FREE a3 cams, provided you use them and don't sell them, I'll contact him and get him to send them to you if you need. Just let me know.
    Wow man.. Thank you, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    i would go this route, but i dont think you have this in mind. sell a bunch of parts or something, cop the block, then cop a k20a2 head, and kpro drop it in and do the damn thing! and go from there. just because with the k24a4 i dont think you'll be satisfied with just that. plus i know you have a beater car to drive around in the meanwhile. that's just my 2 cents!
    Its an a4, have to do pistons as well if you want to run an a2 head..

Get the head. Use the cams and valvetrain however you wish. Tear your a3 down. Check bearings and piston/cylinder wear. If its all in spec, and your bearings have no metal imbedded in them from the cam galling, reassemble it. Buy a ringset for your a3 pistons. Reassemble. You could have your engine on the road for less than $300 with a new lease on life.

Boost it and be done.

Honestly k24a1 ftw.

The motor was flooded with water twice.

I think its a decent idea, given the potential price. But how long do you think it'll take?

I guess I'll replace the cam and go from there

Just want it secure for the MDBBQ, then the building takes place lol
    Last edited by ep3jd; 07-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Also why not preform this on the a4, + boost? Just curious why you opt to resurrect a motor that does in fact have issues, that I'm sure go deeper then some cam galling, instead of revamping the k24, especially since its not in the car
    Last edited by Princess; 02-08-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    Also why not preform this on the a4, + boost? Just curious why you opt to resurrect a motor that does in fact have issues, that I'm sure go deeper then some cam galling, instead of revamping the k24, especially since its not in the car
    Pesonally, I would buy the motor just because it's dirt cheap for a longblock, even if it is "water damaged".

You don't have to swap it or build it immediately but you will have it as your project sitting aside so when you're ready you can do your K24 gig.

Yes for oem to oem it is the least compatible, but it needs a good rebuild regardless so you're going to have to replace the pistons and rework the engine.

Structural integrity wise these is no difference between all the K24 blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    Wow man.. Thank you, I'll let you know.

Its an a4, have to do pistons as well if you want to run an a2 head..
    If you want to do an a2 head. I have stock k24a1 pistons/rods I'll sell you for 40 bux plus shipping. This will get you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    Pesonally, I would buy the motor just because it's dirt cheap for a longblock, even if it is "water damaged".

You don't have to swap it or build it immediately but you will have it as your project sitting aside so when you're ready you can do your K24 gig.

Yes for oem to oem it is the least compatible, but it needs a good rebuild regardless so you're going to have to replace the pistons and rework the engine.

Structural integrity wise these is no difference between all the K24 blocks.

The k24a4 is supposedly in prefect working condition, the k20a3 in my ep3 is the one with the completely fucked cam lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    If you want to do an a2 head. I have stock k24a1 pistons/rods I'll sell you for 40 bux plus shipping. This will get you in the right direction.
    I will be in touch with you on that my friend. Thank you for the offer as well
    Last edited by ep3jd; 07-26-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Oh, lol. Maybe I misread the thread incorrectly? I thought you mentioned he was selling it so cheap because it was flooded with water?

Anyways, hell yea buy that motor, even if it is "blown" it's still a hell of a deal for just the head and block. Shit, I spent 500 on a K24A1 bare block and crank alone, albeit that was shipping included, you're still getting a great deal for an assembled longblock.

Forevapmp is right, if you have your stock exhaust manifold and exhaust piping, you'll be good to go on your stock ECU until you buy KPro. You can get away with using an aftermarket intake but you should use the stock intake box just to be safe.

Buy the K24, I would do it without even thinking about it. Do the leakdown and compression test and bam, you got yourself a great platform.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information