Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    i'd toss the a4 head on the a3 and rebuild the bottom end with oem. a cylinder hone is cheap and so are rings and bearings. would net you a lot of experience and satisfaction with a rebuild. then i'd take the block and get the a1 rods and pistons, or some forged pieces and put it together for later. slap an a2 head on it and kpro. done. 2 builds in one.
    Can't use an a4 head on a k20 due to the a4's dome shaped pistons if it were an a1 this idea would be solid

i got my cams for 250! from skunk2 garage

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    Can't use an a4 head on a k20 due to the a4's dome shaped pistons if it were an a1 this idea would be solid
    I think you misread his post.. a4 head on a3 block. New a2 head with New a1 rod and piston in the a4 block..

No.. The k24a4 head only accepts dome shaped pistons.. How would you propose I run that on a k20a3 block with regular flat pistons?

I understand the whole k24/k20 build he proposed but I can't run that head on my current a3, it would have to be a k24a1 head

You COULD modify the combustion chamber of the a4 head if one were so inclined. Its just cast aluminum. Aint nothin some time and elbow grease couldnt solve. I guess it just depends on how bad you wanna save some coin...?

From what i remember you could run the 10.5cr TSX pistons with the a4 head. They are a flat profile piston with valve reliefs that dip into the piston. Ill have to double check that though...

How difficult would you say it is to replace the head on the a3? I'm no novice but it seems more in depth then I've give this far in my automotive career

Also I only have the weekends to do work now.. Sold the volkswagen because it was costing me more then it was worth in repairs and grief, so the ep3 is back daily status

ephatch member
    with the motor in the car, a headswap is a bitch. If you take the motor out, then it should be a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    with the motor in the car, a headswap is a bitch. If you take the motor out, then it should be a breeze.

I just assume pull the engine to be sure i clean/seal everything up properly...

Well if you think a head swap is a breeze then I know who to call when I need to get my timing cover off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information