Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hard suspension over bumps

Not sure if I got that tittle right but here go's.
    Ever since I bought this car the ride has been quite harsh over bumps. It could be a Small pot whole to a speed bump doesn't matter. It feels like there's no shocks or they are shot or something. Not smooth AT ALL.
    Recently I had some work done on my car and asked the mechanic to check my shocks to see if they were shot and he says there's nothing wrong with them . So my question is, why is this happening and what could I do to fix this problem?
    Wish I had friends to check this out for me but I don't. I know nothing about cars so I have no clue what could be causing this .

Thanks

shocks, ball joints, tie rods, lower control arm bushings could cause it.

i heard a short wheelbase may also be at fault

Stock suspension?
    What kind of car's are you used to driving?
    It could simply be a matter of preference.
    But if you describe it as "no shocks" I doubt that's the case
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

Need more info.

Wheels? Tires? Tire size? Stock or modified suspension?

it's an 03 with stock shocks and suspension, rims are 16's w/ 255/65 r16 all season tires. The car has about 75k miles on it.
    I have driven an ep3 in the past and it drove like a dream (as far as suspension go's).Driving that car is what made me get an Ep.
    There's definitely something wrong with the suspension part of this car I just don't know what it could be. It's crazy annoying driving it cause I feel every little bump as if it has no shocks.

Another strange thing is my exhaust hits the fuel tank over bumps which is also annoying. I checked underneath the car car and it's being held up by 2 rubber arms that are loose. Is there some kinda fix for that ?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_FOLLOWER2 View Post
    shocks, ball joints, tie rods, lower control arm bushings could cause it.
    How do I go about finding out if it's any of the above mentioned ? Would it have to be checked by a mechanic or is there a way for me to do a diagnostic test on my own ?
    Remember that I'm a noob to modification and might not have the necessary tools.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by si03 View Post
    it's an 03 with stock shocks and suspension, rims are 16's w/ 255/65 r16 all season tires. The car has about 75k miles on it.
    I have driven an ep3 in the past and it drove like a dream (as far as suspension go's).Driving that car is what made me get an Ep.
    There's definitely something wrong with the suspension part of this car I just don't know what it could be. It's crazy annoying driving it cause I feel every little bump as if it has no shocks.

Another strange thing is my exhaust hits the fuel tank over bumps which is also annoying. I checked underneath the car car and it's being held up by 2 rubber arms that are loose. Is there some kinda fix for that ?

Thanks,
    To me it sounds like your struts are blown. What you are feeling is basically the strut bottoming out on bumps. Does the car feel or seem unusually bouncy by any chance? One way to quickly check if your struts are blown is to just raise the tire off the ground, and then try lifting the wheel up by hand. If its rather easy to lift it then they are blown. There should be some resistance... as far as the exhaust goes i would actually replace the two rear muffler ones with something a bit stiffer. Those actually do a better job of keeping the mid pipe or the "2 rubber" arm flange away from that area. All that one does is basically keep the joint from sagging.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 27rocks View Post
    To me it sounds like your struts are blown. What you are feeling is basically the strut bottoming out on bumps. Does the car feel or seem unusually bouncy by any chance? One way to quickly check if your struts are blown is to just raise the tire off the ground, and then try lifting the wheel up by hand. If its rather easy to lift it then they are blown. There should be some resistance... as far as the exhaust goes i would actually replace the two rear muffler ones with something a bit stiffer. Those actually do a better job of keeping the mid pipe or the "2 rubber" arm flange away from that area. All that one does is basically keep the joint from sagging.
    Car is not bouncy. If the struts are blown, Do you have any recommendations on new struts ? this is my DD and not looking to autocross. I'm not looking to spend allot of $$ on it as I'll also be forking out cash to have them replaced by a shop.

Oh, I'm also looking (possibly) on replacing my springs to like a 1" to 1.5" drop. Would it be a good idea to wait and buy everything together or could I get the shocks now and later on the springs.
    thanks

I've been searching all day and came up with these http://www.discountautoshocks.com/sh...t=kyb%20struts .

On my research I found these to be good for DD. Any thoughts ? On springs I'm thinking about Eibach Springs Pro-Kit with the 1'' drop.

255/65/16? that has got to be hugee!
    haha

The KYB's I personally believe will be perfectly fine for DD.
    Shoot for just DD I'd even consider Monroe's if I didn't care.

But since you're considering a drop
    Tokico Blue's are popular for DD replacement w/ drops. (the budget strut/shock that a lot of people drop on.)
    Tokico D-spec is an upgrade with adjustable dampening
    Koni Yellow's is an upgrade with adjustable dampening
    Bilsteins, non adjustable(i think) but is big upgrade.
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

COILOVERS .. PERIOD :D

but thats just IMO

not looking for coilovers, overkill for a DD in my opinion.
    I might go with Eibach springs 1'' drop and possible tokico blue's. Anyone with some feed back that are currently running this set up ?

I just wish I could do the install myself and save some cash.

What springs are you running? Are you sure they are stock? between the front tire and the fender, how big is the gap?

If you're drop, its prolly cuz you spring rate is too low. Basically the strut is holding most of your car weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information