Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY: HID kit (low Beam) into Depo projectors / 2003 ep3

I'm not sure if this has been covered in the past but if it has I could not find a DIY for this. I hope this helps ppl out that are looking for installing an HID kit into Depo's.
    Refer to pictures if you are stuck on any step. I hope I didn't miss any steps

Here go's:

2003 ep3
    Depo projectors (SSR) for an 02-03 ep3
    HID kit -55w 5000k (H1 bulb replacement) they were ordered though a friend so not sure where he got them.

Step one: Remove front bumper

Step two: remove headlight (I suggest removing one at a time if you have never removed the headlights before, good to compare both when installing them back in) Headlights don't have to be fully removed from all wiring. Just place the headlight face down on the headlight housing (just make sure to have a towel in had so you don't scratch the plastic exterior lenses)

Step three: Remove rubber cover to low beam's along with bulb. My low bulb is H1.

Step four: I removed both red and black wire's from the HID rubber housing because I didn't want the two wire's to be fished out through the rubber housing from the Depo's. I pulled both wire's through the hole's from which they were in the HID rubber housing. Be careful pulling them through the rubber holes as the rubber may tare.

It should look like this (below)

Step five: remove HID from plastic cover (DO NOT TOUCH HID BULB)

Step six: Find a placement for the HID ballast. I ended up using double sided tape behind ballast to adhere to it's location. Make sure if you're using this method (double sided tape) to properly clean the area. I just used water and a rag as that's all I had with me during the install.

Step seven: Place HID ballast to it's determined location and have all proper plugs "plugged" into ballast (It's easier to have the plug into the Ballast before mounting it onto its determined location. I learned this the hard way because the location I choose for the Ballast there was a piece of metal from the frame of the car which was right in the way of the plug that plugs into the Ballast.

Step eight: Insert HID bulb into low beam housing. My kit didn't come with X-clips so the HID bulb was loose in the housing. I didn't want to order X-clips so I manufactured my own. I used the plastic "C" shaped plastic ring that was inside of the HID bulb cover. "Please refer to the picture to see what where I cut the plastic ring for proper fitment inside the low beam housing".
    Since the HID bulb get's really hot I decided to wrap the plastic "C" ring with electrical tape as electrical tape can withstand allot of heat. I used only "one" plastic "C" ring per housing.
    This mod will hold the HID bulb like a charm. Good tight fit so the bulbs aren't moving around and no chance of escaping the Depo housing.

"c" ring had to be cut like so for proper fitment inside Depo housing

After electrical tape applied

"c" ring inserted on top of HID bulb

Step nine: There will be "two" holes on the rubber piece where the HID bulbs are attached too. I used this product above to properly seal both holes. This has to be done as water will get into the housing and will ruin your lights.

I used this product to seal both holes

After

Step ten: Feed the HID wires through the Depo rubber cap. On the center of the HID's there is a rubber cover which there is "two" parts to it. One wider then the other. I pulled the thinner part through the rubber Depo cap and left the wider part inside of the rubber cap for proper seal. Refer to pictures to see what it looks like.

Step eleven: Now comes the wiring. On the HID's there is a "red" and a "Black" wire. The "red" wire from the HID's will be going into the "positive" side of the Depo low beam plug. The "black wire from the HID's will go into the "negative" side on the Depo low beam plug.
    I'm not sure if this go's for every Depos but on mine the positive wire on the Depo plug was a "Yellow" wire and the negative was a "Black wire. On both driver and passenger side low beam plugs, the "positive" wire was on the right side of the plug (not sure if this goes for every Depo so make sure to check first).

Step twelve: You will need to electrical tape both "red" and "Black" HID wire into the Depo plug. Easy to do, just make sure to apply the electrical tape in a way that it pulls the wire's into the plug so it will be a snug fit without any play (this will make it so there will not be any chance of the wire's loosing up therefore cutting electricity to your low beams. Electrical tape it really good as you "DO NOT" want any water penetration into the plug. After you have taped the wire's turn on the headlight to make sure they are working (I had to re tape the wire's twice before I had it snug enough).
    After electrical tape applied

Step thirteen: Tuck the wire's away, Tape what ever you need to for a clean look. Reinstall light and you're done .

Comparison test (day time)

Passenger side "After" HID install

Driver side with Halogen bulb

If you're doing this outside without any protection from the weather please check your local weather before install or you'll have to deal with this as I did

THANK YOU> JUST WHAT I NEEDED..
    gonna get my depo install today but using back the original jdm hid that came with the headlight.. is it possible?

Thanks for the post, I remember your post trying to help me with my halogens for my depos.

I got encouraged by this thread and slapped on a HID kit.

I also ghetto fabbed the "x-clip" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Type_R_Nammer View Post
    I also ghetto fabbed the "x-clip" LOL
    lol. I didnt want to wait to buy x-clips so this was the best option . Glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by jubaque View Post
    THANK YOU> JUST WHAT I NEEDED..
    gonna get my depo install today but using back the original jdm hid that came with the headlight.. is it possible?
    :thumbs: I'm not sure if they'll fit. I know when i ordered my HID kit i had to specify that my low beam bulb on my depose were H1 so the HID was a direct replacement bulb.

I need to get depos.

Dumb question: What are depos? Something to do with the housing?

Looking to do HID's soon, this thread will definitely come in handy

how about a night pic to see how it looks

Quote Originally Posted by StimulisRK View Post
    Dumb question: What are depos? Something to do with the housing?

Looking to do HID's soon, this thread will definitely come in handy
    Depo refers to the company name that makes the projectors.

When a member refers to depos, they're referring to the projectors.

Great DIY, might need it when i get me headlight soon.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    You can use the "center" port of that connector (the one you didn't plug anything into) to run a standard high beam to round this out--though you may never need it with some legit HIDS. Just run the negative to a ground.

Good thread. You can also use a regular wrap and a heat gun to weatherproof your wires and connections, and I might suggest using something other than double sided tape to apply your ballasts to a fairly water-free location of the engine bay. From experience the second your ballasts start hanging out with rain, you're going to be buying new ones.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Good write up
    But I have 1 question.

If you order a H1 HID bulb, why would you need to mod the headlight assembly to fit them?
    The Depo's were designed to take an H1 bulb, but you need to mod them to fit an H1?
    Last edited by ecsahs3; 03-02-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJamesYu View Post
    Good write up
    But I have 1 question.

If you order a H1 HID bulb, why would you need to mod the headlight assembly to fit them?
    The Depo's were designed to take an H1 bulb, but you need to mod them to fit an H1?
    Bump for answer .. I wanna know too

Quote Originally Posted by cvicep3 View Post
    I bought those thinking it would work, but the bulbs were still loose. I had to modify the x-clips and add a modified plastic c-ring that i got from the new hid bulb. holds it in very snug. sorry for crappy cell pics. And the lamps do take h1 bulbs, but the h1 hid bulbs needs something on the back of it to hold it in. or else the bulb would just be moving around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information