Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High Mileage A3 and Reflash; Bad Idea?

Hey, just figured I'd post up and see what folks thought.
    My baby is running pretty strong after all these years, but I've been looking for a little extra fun until it's swap time down the line.
    I'd been considering a reflash. I'm not tracking, and whether or not the rev limit is higher, I don't like to bang on it that hard anyway. :D So is there any reason to think a reflash would be bad?
    Here's the current setup:
    2003 K20A3 - 215,000+ miles
    Comptech Icebox intake
    2005 RSX-s exhaust (header/cat/midpipe) w/eBay loop muffler (can't remember the brand, it's the $80 Mugen knock-off :D)

So, what do the gurus think?

good to kno that ur ep has 215k miles and still running..props to u big homie..hope mine reaches that high

idk id say fuck it..get kpro...haha if shes healthy why not. anybody else to chime in?

If u plan to swap then just get kpro... u can always sell it, if u decide not to swap... id get a used one too

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    Hey, just figured I'd post up and see what folks thought.
    My baby is running pretty strong after all these years, but I've been looking for a little extra fun until it's swap time down the line.
    I'd been considering a reflash. I'm not tracking, and whether or not the rev limit is higher, I don't like to bang on it that hard anyway. :D So is there any reason to think a reflash would be bad?
    Here's the current setup:
    2003 K20A3 - 215,000+ miles
    Comptech Icebox intake
    2005 RSX-s exhaust (header/cat/midpipe) w/eBay loop muffler (can't remember the brand, it's the $80 Mugen knock-off :D)

So, what do the gurus think?
    I think you have the twinloop axelback. I'm considering it as well, do you have any sound clips?

As far as flashing . . . I'll let someone else chime in.

:D

Yeah, the brand popped into my head later on, it's the OBX.
    Doesn't sound bad with the setup I'm running, honestly. Pretty decent throaty sound, not raspy like I was thinking it would be.

As for Kpro: new baby means the budget is fairly tight. This would be a down payment of sorts on full Kpro later on when it's time for the swap :D

Hey I say go for it! I've just about reach the 170k mark with mine, and I reflashed at around 10-15k miles ago (I traveled quite a bit over the years when I got it). Just think of it as a step up with reflash; and not like a big ass jump with kpro. You'll benefit from it either way.

That's kinda the direction I was leaning in, just figured I'd post up, see if anyone thought it was potentially a bad idea, ya know?
    Like, maybe I'm not considering something, or maybe someone has insight on why the switch to 91octane would be bad for a high-mileage engine...stuff like that.

But honestly, I don't think it should matter much; just a little extra fun under the hood until it's time for big boy pance and a swap down the road. :D

I have the reflash and i am almost at 100k miles i have had reflash for maybe 8k miles and everything is good. I am also running a comptech icebox but with a dcrh and a t1r mid. Ypu will get pretty good gains and the extra revs is nice. I say go for it. Compared to kpro running a base kpro map the reflash is much better. However when i did smog my car with reflash running a stock header/cat the full benifits of reflash arnt there. If your gonna get reflash i recommend getting a race header

Yeah, that's also part of the short-term daddy budget plans, a RH.
    Thanks for the input man!

I had the reflash for a while too, it was a nice ending to all the bolt on's I did. Back when I did the reflash it cost $600 so upgraded to kpro didn't seem like it was putting that much a dent in my wallet, after reflash came kpro with stage 3 cams than motor blew and now I'm k24a2 swapped so it all ended up working out in the end lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep View Post
    However when i did smog my car with reflash running a stock header/cat the full benifits of reflash arnt there. If your gonna get reflash i recommend getting a race header

My bad tread jacking just for a little xD I needed to see this. Gonna smog around dec and was hella worried that my reflash wouldn't allow me to pass smog. Now I feel reassured =D

Yeah RHCP, that's sorta the idea: reflash/RH short-term just to keep things interesting for a while, then once funds and parts are in place, see about a swap/SC.
    Then we have the REAL fun.

not gonna lie, i was under the impression that the reflash for kmotor was bullshit and fairly expensive , i read a few reviews about them and people seemed disappointed with the results and felt though they should have just waited and saved for kpro, personally i think $1000 dollars for a kpro is ridiculous more or less any piggy back computer system its just highway robbery, but if your plans are to eventually go kpro i wouldnt waste my money on the reflash thats ($350 or so ive seen) towards getting the kpro wasted

it's not wasting money if your saving for kpro down the road because when you want to upgrade they discount the price you already paid for the reflash

Yeah exactly. Like I said earlier, it's a "down payment" on the full Kpro later. :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information