Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EP3SiBoi90 View Post
    My bad tread jacking just for a little xD I needed to see this. Gonna smog around dec and was hella worried that my reflash wouldn't allow me to pass smog. Now I feel reassured =D
    Don't worry, polorob smog his ep3 with the reflash and he passed. his mods were injen cai, stock cat, comptech shorty header and a customed exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by EP3SiBoi90 View Post
    My bad tread jacking just for a little xD I needed to see this. Gonna smog around dec and was hella worried that my reflash wouldn't allow me to pass smog. Now I feel reassured =D
    Yeah my buddy is a smog tech he says a reflashed ecu will pass ca smog fine because it keeps all emissions stuff there and doesnt mess with any of the setting. K-pro will not pass smog if you change any of the emissions settings
    Last edited by Kerby; 02-17-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma6 View Post
    If u plan to swap then just get kpro... u can always sell it, if u decide not to swap... id get a used one too
    I agree with getting kpro, but not buying used. You never know what's wrong with used stuff. I would not get a reflash, waste of money, more so if u plan on swapping. The difference with bolt on parts is minimal, but it allows for future flexibility. I really don't understand why people always want to cheap out when it comes to buying good parts. I'm not rich by any means, I had to save up for 4 months straight to buy the rev hard kit way back in the day, and a full year to do the swap I'm working on now. This cannot be stressed enough: BUY IT ONCE, AND BUY IT RIGHT.

Here's the thing.

I would not get a reflash, waste of money, more so if u plan on swapping. The difference with bolt on parts is minimal, but it allows for future flexibility.
    If the difference with bolt-ons is minimal, what's the point of springing for the whole cost now? Since either choice, the reflash or Kpro isn't going to do much with just bolt-ons, and I have priorities other than car right now, why not just spend the couple hundred and get a little more fun out of my DD for the time being? Furthermore, you know what also allows for future flexibility? Cash in my bank account.

I really don't understand why people always want to cheap out when it comes to buying good parts.
    This isn't about "cheaping out". It's about adding just a little something to my car for now, that will keep it interesting, but not break the bank. Maybe you didn't notice, but with a new baby around, my budgeting priorities are not in the automotive performance market at the moment. This is just a little something extra I can do while sticking to a tighter budget.

I'm not rich by any means, I had to save up for 4 months straight to buy the rev hard kit way back in the day, and a full year to do the swap I'm working on now. This cannot be stressed enough: BUY IT ONCE, AND BUY IT RIGHT.
    Hey, neither am I. But I don't know what your situation is, and you don't know what mine is. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me. Our bills/expenses/cost of living/et al could be miles apart. Furthermore, what about tuning? There are, generally, additional costs associated with tuning a vehicle once Kpro is installed, right? I mean, sure, you could just run one of the canned tunes, but then you're not getting the full potential out of it, right?
    Logic, son.

Listen, I started this thread to ask a specific question; will the alterations made by a reflash threaten my particularly high-mileage engine.
    You'll notice that I didn't ask "should I just go full Kpro?" Know why? Not interested right now.
    As I've said already, I look at a reflash as the down payment on full Kpro later on, when it's actually needed for the build I have planned in future. A reflash now is a way of spreading some of that cost, while still getting a little something new and fun to play with now.

I appreciate your input, but don't come in here and start chastising people that are, at least, staying on-topic, k?
    Thanks!

Look here son, there's no need to get all butthurt about it. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. Sorry if it wasn't the one you were wanting. If you want to spend $300-400 on a reflash that will give you 2 whp, wtf do I care? If cash in your bank account is so important, then leave your car stock, and leave the modding to the cool guys. Maybe there will be a used taillight or shiftknob thread, where you can buy parts to keep your car interesting. And as far as "will a reflash hurt my high mileage ep" are you for real? K thx bye. Lol, wow.
    Last edited by sleepy ep3; 08-30-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    Look here son, there's no need to get all butthurt about it. You asked for opinions, and I gave you mine. Sorry if it wasn't the one you were wanting. If you want to spend $300-400 on a reflash that will give you 2 whp, wtf do I care? If cash in your bank account is so important, then leave your car stock, and leave the modding to the cool guys. Maybe there will be a used taillight or shiftknob thread, where you can buy parts to keep your car interesting. And as far as "will a reflash hurt my high mileage ep" are you for real? K thx bye. Lol, wow.
    Sir, I think you belong over at the mazdaspeed forums lol. Everyone over there is like you, except no one gets whiney...lololol.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    Sir, I think you belong over at the mazdaspeed forums lol. Everyone over there is like you, except no one gets whiney...lololol.
    I'm just giving him shit, that's all. As far as whiney goes, im not sure i understand. Did you read his last post in which he tells me his life story, and how broke he is? But whatever, I'm glad beaterEp found a friend. Maybe you guys can meet up and suck each others stick shift while discussing how great reflashes are.
    Last edited by sleepy ep3; 08-31-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    I'm just giving him shit, that's all. As far as whiney goes, im not sure i understand. Did you read his last post in which he tells me his life story, and how broke he is? But whatever, I'm glad beaterEp found a friend. Maybe you guys can meet up and suck each others stick shift while discussing how great reflashes are.
    There is no need to go into insults. We are here to share a common interest, meet new friends, and enjoy our Ep3s.

Guys, let's not get into flame wars here.
    Sleepy, I thanked you for your opinion, let's just leave it at that. If you don't like my explanations for why I'm interested in a reflash as opposed to Kpro, that's your deal. There's no need to get into name-calling.
    If you want to explain why you think my original question is such a joke, feel free. Otherwise, thanks.

Movin' on.

If you have a fair amount of bolt-on mods, then the engine and ECU will be far happier when the calibration is far closer to what is needed, ESPECIALLY during open loop operation!

Sure going full Kpro is better, but the reflash is far better than doing nothing to correct the calibrations.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

As far as the high mileage question; am I just being paranoid? :D

EDIT:
    Oooor, did you just kinda answer that question, and I'm missing that point?
    lulz, reread your post talon and realized you were kind of addressing that, weren't you?
    Last edited by Code99Kid; 02-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.

I would think so..

In the event your engine did let go soon after, whos to say a better set of engine instructions is to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep View Post
    Yeah my buddy is a smog tech he says a reflashed ecu will pass ca smog fine because it keeps all emissions stuff there and doesnt mess with any of the setting. K-pro will not pass smog if you change any of the emissions settings
    NY state has emissions testing almost as stringent as Ca, without Kpro or a reflash the ECU's calibration is so far out of whack there are issues with passing because the test occurs in both open and closed loop. I NEVER had any issues passing a sniffer test and the state inspectors never had a clue that Kpro was installed.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 08-31-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Yeah WPB, hadn't really though of it that way.
    Makes absolute sense though; better maps should mean a happier engine.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    As far as the high mileage question; am I just being paranoid? :D

EDIT:
    Oooor, did you just kinda answer that question, and I'm missing that point?
    lulz, reread your post talon and realized you were kind of addressing that, weren't you?
    No you're taking proper precautions....

1) Check your valve lash
    2) Swap out your plugs if needed
    3) Swap your timing chain unless you know it's 100% OKAY
    4) Have your fuel injectors cleaned or buy some low mileage used 310cc injectors

I'm only mentioning those for 100% positive trouble free maintenance with the reflash. You probably don't need to do all of them, but if you did, there would be no issues running it at your mileage and your engine would be good and fresh for another 100k-120k.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information