Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget boost

Budget boost

Ok, I'm Really wanting to boost my car in the very near future. But sadly with school and all, I am on a budget, so as much as I would like to drop $5-6k on a full race system it's just not going to happen.

So far, I've loomed at the greedy kit and it's still a little pricey. I was looking into the emusa kits and also the Godspeed kits ( since they are on the lower side on the price range).

I've also seen a few ads for Godspeed in modified mag but never heard of anyone using them. Anyone have experience with these?

I've checked out the emusa sticky on the forum and I'm very interersted in it as well. Experiences with that?

Right now I have a injen short ram intake, hondata IMG, skunk2 RH, DC sports exhaust for bolt ons and will be adding kpro before boosting obviously.

But my question is what would be my best buddy turbo kit?
    And also it ability to modified and upgraded down the road?

I'm really looking to get into the 350whp range, also I'm running a k20a3 right now. Thanks guys
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 09-09-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Reaper. Take a look at MY thread, just under yours. It'll answer your 350hp on an A3 quest.
    If you live in Charlotte, we are having a meet Oct. 1st is Statesville. You should come. Check it out in the Meet section.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Read through this ENTIRE thread. This will answer all your "Budget" Turbo build questions.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...693-EMUSA-info

P.S. - I formatted down your questions as I was having trouble following it all in a big paragraph. I hope that doesn't offend.
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 09-09-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Ok, thank you. And haha no i wasn't offended i was just like umm? When I checked it now, It was all bunched together because I was posting on my phone

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Reaper. Take a look at MY thread, just under yours. It'll answer your 350hp on an A3 quest.
    If you live in Charlotte, we are having a meet Oct. 1st is Statesville. You should come. Check it out in the Meet section.
    Yea man, I'll try to get up there and check it out. But I was reading your thread and the general conclusion that I came to was that it was damn near impossible to get 350whp out of a K20a3 engine? I'm not really wanting to do a swap right now mainly because I just don't have the real funds for it and also I don't have a spare vehicle for the time that the ep would be down. Any thoughts on this guys? Also, what about Godspeed? Anyone have and experience with them?

realisticly you it would take you more fund to get to 350 with the k20a3 then it would with a cheap k24a1 or 4. I know nothing of the godspeed one but like AK said he's had sucess with it. Also honestly with a k20a3 at 7-10lbs with kpro you will be lucky to be at 250hp
    But with that said if you want a kit I have one for sale :)
    Last edited by 03 inspire; 09-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.

What kind of kit, and how much?

::edit:: I found it. Too much for my blood, sorry.
    Last edited by Popeye; 09-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Cheap + Boost = kaboom... Get a k24 or a k20 then build or boost. Should be under 5k if you're lucky

People use the godspeed kits on D series motors with great success.

Quote Originally Posted by 02TWSI View Post
    People use the godspeed kits on D series motors with great success.
    Ok, I've just heard mixed reviews about them. Like it playing a gamble, they might last a month or 5 years, it just depends. That kinda what I was afraid of with the emusa kits but they seem to stand up and get decent reviews

You will only get 230-260 hp at the most, on an otherwise stock A3, and a cheap turbo kit. People, just let me say it...THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHEAP, POWERFUL, RELIABLE BOOST!!!

There.

Sorry for yelling.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Best quality inexpensive used turbo kit I've seen on the market is the Cybernation kit in the Classifieds section.

Yeah, I went through that whole EMUSA thread. It seems like the weak points are the wastegate and the turbo itself. The turbo is supposedly just a "decent" one, but can be rebuilt pretty cheap. Then of course you have to get stuff like KPro, injectors, fuel pump, and a few odds and ends. But, it allows someone to build up their kit vs. buying a crazy-expensive one right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Yeah, I went through that whole EMUSA thread. It seems like the weak points are the wastegate and the turbo itself. The turbo is supposedly just a "decent" one, but can be rebuilt pretty cheap. Then of course you have to get stuff like KPro, injectors, fuel pump, and a few odds and ends. But, it allows someone to build up their kit vs. buying a crazy-expensive one right off the bat.
    Thats what I was thinking about today and was going to ask. I was going through the thread and looking at all the componets and it looks to me like all you would have to do is either rebuild the emusa turbo or replace it with another higher end turbo and then swap out the wastegate and possibly the BOV cause from what I've read and seen on there the IC was pretty well built and holds up. Then it would comparable to one to the $4k kit and you would only pay maybe $1500 without adding Kpro. If this is wrong or I'm just reading this in the complete wrong way please let me know cause I'm thinking about getting the kit and installing it on the k20a3 and the later swapping it over to a k20a or k20a2 when I do a swap down the line (way down the line haha). I would be happy if I could hit a reliabe 250-275whp our of the a3 for now and hit the bigger numbers and do a swap when I'm out of school and all. It should bolt up right with little to no modification since the kit says it was made for the a3 and a2 engines.

Im feelin ya there. BUT, I think I am gonna go with my better judgement and listen to the guys on here. Even though I cant afford an engine swap, I AM going to throw in some forged rods and crank. Then I will find me a better-flowing head, and put on my kit. Not to mention this car is my DD right now. I know myself better than that. I know I could install the kit and have it be reliable right now. I'm not going to. Im a speed junky, and would start slooooowly cranking up the boost. Cant do that until I can get another vehicle. So, its just about saving money and buying the parts for now.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information