Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget boost

Quote Originally Posted by blueandgoldep3 View Post
    y even buy the kit if youre just going to replace all the major parts of it lol what else does the kit come with other than the turbo (which youre rebuilding) waste gate and bov (which youre replacing)? does it come with fuel management? injectors a pump? oil return lines and tap kit for the pan? and if you upgrade the turbo youre gonna wanna upgrade the ic too ... so what does this kit come with that youre actually going to use out of it? lol
    Because even with buying the turbo and having it rebuilt it would still be cheaper than buy a name brand turbo, as for the wastegate and BOV I would just be replacing thme but at least with buying the kit I would have the major base parts such as piping.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    I believe what AKEP is TRYING to say here is that even though the EMUSA kit is a "cheap" kit, someone can still have fairly reliable fun with it. If someone wants to buy parts individually and have a "bling bling" set-up, then great. But not everyone can afford the expensive stuff. Like he stated, he has seen plenty of people with Ebay kits/parts on their vehicle, and they served their purpose.
    Not everyone has the money to spend a lot of it to build a killer turbo set-up. For me, as much as I LOVE this car, it would be hard to spend more money than its worth to make it go faster. Not saying I wouldnt, but it would be hard. lol
    I feel like if someone wants to buy a cheap kit and learn from it, so be it. Maybe it will benefit them and work well. Even AKEP has the kit in his car, makes good numbers, and hasnt broken down yet. Honestly, what more do you want from a turbo kit?
    Exactly, and this is why I'm so interested in this kit. I would love to be able to buy the kick ass turbo and do a full engine swap and rebuild but that would probably will be impossible for a long time to come so in the vast meantime I can pick one of these up to have fun with and it would meet my needs and be a failry reliable kit. Plus I will learn a lot in the process haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper27 View Post
    AKEP, how long have you been running the kit?
    only since may/june. dd it. the other guys have had it way longer than me. still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by blueandgoldep3 View Post
    y even buy the kit if youre just going to replace all the major parts of it lol what else does the kit come with other than the turbo (which youre rebuilding) waste gate and bov (which youre replacing)? does it come with fuel management? injectors a pump? oil return lines and tap kit for the pan? and if you upgrade the turbo youre gonna wanna upgrade the ic too ... so what does this kit come with that youre actually going to use out of it? lol
    the wg and bov is nothing, the ic piping and down pipe alone are well worth it because it comes matching the car. theres no bringing the ic pipe in for welding, the bov is in the right place so it doesn't rub against anything, downpipe avoids anything in the rear, no bending or welding or anything. it comes with an oil line and AN fittings (i also changed those lol) this kit just needs a little polishing. thats all.

I believe what AKEP is TRYING to say here is that even though the EMUSA kit is a "cheap" kit, someone can still have fairly reliable fun with it. If someone wants to buy parts individually and have a "bling bling" set-up, then great. But not everyone can afford the expensive stuff. Like he stated, he has seen plenty of people with Ebay kits/parts on their vehicle, and they served their purpose.
    Not everyone has the money to spend a lot of it to build a killer turbo set-up. For me, as much as I LOVE this car, it would be hard to spend more money than its worth to make it go faster. Not saying I wouldnt, but it would be hard. lol
    I feel like if someone wants to buy a cheap kit and learn from it, so be it. Maybe it will benefit them and work well. Even AKEP has the kit in his car, makes good numbers, and hasnt broken down yet. Honestly, what more do you want from a turbo kit?
    pretty much.

if anything just get the IC piping and intercooler/ its a knock off of one of the intercooler companies. i think its a $300 piece too. you get prefabbed pipes and an intercooler for $120 shipped....

and i think i spent no more than $30 on new hardware(not including an fittings, which probably work fine. i had some laying around) which isnt a whole lot considering insurance.

they told me they do offer a fuel system but one of the guys i always talked to didn't recommend it. just buy yourself some deitchswerks injectors or whatever and get kpro. at least they leave that as an option instead of throwing in garbage injectors and raising the price.

Shameless plug: If you buy my CN kit for $1500 shipped you can have 260whp@7lbs or at least 280@10psi

AKEP, did you replace the BOV and the wastegate or just the wastegate?

Quote Originally Posted by WPB EP3 View Post
    Shameless plug: If you buy my CN kit for $1500 shipped you can have 260whp@7lbs or at least 280@10psi
    Haha, the only thing is I don't have $1500 right now

I feel ya man, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by WPB EP3 View Post
    good deal too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper27 View Post
    AKEP, did you replace the BOV and the wastegate or just the wastegate?
    just the BOV, i'm using the wastegate and all its glory. minus cap screws. i changed those too, and got aluminum crush washers for the vacuum banjos.

bottom line is you pay for what you get... and the part of turbo's never running properly I never had that problem and I been turbo'ed since 03... as far as higher HP and Dyno numbers FI is addiciting after starting with a smaller kit (greddy) then to where I am at now maybe for some Show Queens its comparing cock sizes but for me its about we can do on the track rest is bullcrap

yup. i think i would place this firmly right about the greddy kit, right next to or below a revhard kit.

Greddy Kits may be somewhat underpowered compared to the larger turbo on these Emusa kits, but you are getting legit components. Rev Hard/CN gives you a higher ceiling than these kits. No way you can put these Ebay kits at the same level. As great a value as they may be, they are still replica parts. They are much closer than they used be, I'll give you that though.

It's all up to the buyer. Are you willing to sacrifice some quality to boost for a couple hundred cheaper? If so, then the Emusa kits are not a bad choice. For me, the choice is easy to go with something more mainstream, even if it means going used. I don't see the massive savings in going this route anyway. You can get a nice used kit for 1500-2000 all day.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

i guess im a hipster then.

but thats what it comes down to. what the end user is willing to sacrafice. if they get what they want and it makes them happy, thats it.

how much is this emusa kit going for because ive seen it on ebay for like 700 free shipping

i think thats the latest price. demand has gone up, i imagine since the emusa thread has over 20k views now.

I believe they are $680 shipped on Speedy.
    The way I see it is every good company had to start somewhere. (I am by no means defending EMUSA! I dont even have a turbo, from ANYONE.) Hell, when I was in the military, I had a '94 Accord. I found a REALLY good deal on a full exhaust, header back, from some no name company named "Megan" for less than $300. Best $300 I ever spent on the car. (Besides the suspension.)
    Not everyone has the money to spend $1000 on a new motor to swap into their car, then $4000 on a new kit (with KPro), then $300 on a tune. And Im sure there are still several things that will need to go with it. I think a $700 kit allows the average guy with barely any money to be able to boost his car to have some fun. Sure, maybe some parts will have to be replaced over time. But thats over time. That way he has been boosted until then and has had fun with his car. I think a lot of people miss the first point when it comes to doing ANYTHING to their cars...we all do it to have fun. We love our cars, and take pride in them. After that, "the details are in the pudding."
    Again, this isnt to talk bad about anyone, or any part in/on anyone's car...for ME, if I have a $700 kit in my car, and can make the same or close to the same power, for what the next guy that paid $4000, it's a win in my book.

I believe they are $680 shipped on Speedy.
    The way I see it is every good company had to start somewhere. (I am by no means defending EMUSA! I dont even have a turbo, from ANYONE.) Hell, when I was in the military, I had a '94 Accord. I found a REALLY good deal on a full exhaust, header back, from some no name company named "Megan" for less than $300. Best $300 I ever spent on the car. (Besides the suspension.)
    Not everyone has the money to spend $1000 on a new motor to swap into their car, then $4000 on a new kit (with KPro), then $300 on a tune. And Im sure there are still several things that will need to go with it. I think a $700 kit allows the average guy with barely any money to be able to boost his car to have some fun. Sure, maybe some parts will have to be replaced over time. But thats over time. That way he has been boosted until then and has had fun with his car. I think a lot of people miss the first point when it comes to doing ANYTHING to their cars...we all do it to have fun. We love our cars, and take pride in them. After that, "the details are in the pudding."
    Again, this isnt to talk bad about anyone, or any part in/on anyone's car...for ME, if I have a $700 kit in my car, and can make the same or close to the same power, for what the next guy that paid $4000, it's a win in my book.
    well said

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information