Close

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Budget boost

Right, they emulate the jumps in technology in their own unique product. They don't outright copy them. The key is the secondary company puts their own spin on things while improving the end product. In cars the technology may be similar, but the components and mechanisms that make up the technology are inherently different.

Well, unless we are talking about these companies lol.
    http://theage.drive.com.au/photogall...0422-teui.html

My point is the ebay turbos, blowoff valves, and wastegates are just outright copies. That may or may not be a problem to some people, as their quality has improved since they came on the market a few years ago.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

Wow, haha this thread has gone in a completely different direction than I intended.

The EMUSA turbo is no more a "garrett" clone than it is a Turbonetics or Comp clone, a turbo is a turbo and you can only do so much to design a new one. Sure there are oil-less ones in the works from a few companies but overall no matter what turbo you get they are all just pretty much copies of the first ones made. Companies like Blaast performance rebuild turbos to garrett "specs", not necessarily using garrett parts. Alot of turbo companies use garrett parts to rebuild because garrett makes a wide range of rebuild parts, you could use garrett parts to rebuild almost any automotive turbo and vice versa.

As a turbomachinery engineer, I wholeheartedly disagree. There is A TON of design work done on turbos from non-replica companies. The amount of work Honeywell (owner of Garrett) puts into their turbine design alone would make you shit bricks. Reputable turbo companies DO NOT use direct replicas of the bladed components. The shafts, compressors, and turbines units are all VERY unique.

Most companies make their support parts (bearings & seals) interchangeable with Garret units to keep costs down. That is creating an economic design, not copying.

Here is an interesting video detailing the amount of exhaustive design work entailed in a clean sheet turbo design. This design by BorgWarner is a true game changer and exemplifies the greatness that can be achieved when quality and innovative design meld together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuE6xiij9g

Anyway, I've made my point.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:

idk about anyone at this point but after all these points and arguments are made .... $700 > $3500... when the results are the same

Quote Originally Posted by blueandgoldep3 View Post
    idk about anyone at this point but after all these points and arguments are made .... $700 > $3500... when the results are the same
    Don't forget injectors and engine management. You won't be boosting out the box for 700.

The Evolution:

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    Don't forget injectors and engine management. You won't be boosting out the box for 700.
    lol thats was an unspoken understanding for sure... and i just want to say that understand you and agree with your argument to an extent for sure... but you're looking at it from a producers point of view and we are looking at it from a consumers point of view... if i can get something for a fraction of the price of a name brand company and expect the same results from it then we would be fools to buy the name brand company... for what to say hey i looky what i got!!!... i do agree you pay for what you get but the plus is that for a lower price turbo it it leaves me the ability to upgrade at my will instead of saving for months to buy it the first place.. you see what we getting at... perhaps if a greddy kit was $1500 and not $3500 i could understand buying the name and guarenteed quality but its cost effective to buy the cheaper version and fix it as it breaks lol

I feel ya, but you can get a name brand kit for 1500 all day.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=789529
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=788703

brand new HKS kit
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=788973

brand new greddy kit
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=782232

It just takes a bit of patience and timing to score the right kit at the right price. Either way works though, as illustrated by some of the other posters.

The Evolution:

Quote Originally Posted by blueandgoldep3 View Post
    lol thats was an unspoken understanding for sure... and i just want to say that understand you and agree with your argument to an extent for sure... but you're looking at it from a producers point of view and we are looking at it from a consumers point of view... if i can get something for a fraction of the price of a name brand company and expect the same results from it then we would be fools to buy the name brand company... for what to say hey i looky what i got!!!... i do agree you pay for what you get but the plus is that for a lower price turbo it it leaves me the ability to upgrade at my will instead of saving for months to buy it the first place.. you see what we getting at... perhaps if a greddy kit was $1500 and not $3500 i could understand buying the name and guarenteed quality but its cost effective to buy the cheaper version and fix it as it breaks lol
    I've been on both sides of that fence. Always better to spend more in the beginning and do it right. Otherwise you spend two to three times as much upgrading when it's all said and done. That said, buying a used kit isn't always a good idea. You just never know what problems you'll inherit. Some ppl are honest and take care of their stuff but it's a gamble.

Yep, it can be hit or miss for sure with either route. I always try to search out people's old threads and posts whenever I am interested in buying anything that is wear-sensitive.

The Evolution:

Well i was lookin at the EMUSA kit myself... only because i didnt want to *invest* in turbo. If i didnt like it, i wasnt out a lot when i went back to SC.

Keep in mind this kit would be in a k-swapped EJ (not EP), but that shouldnt affect too much other than maybe the DP. Lookin at the HKS kit up above had me liking that setup... till i saw the pricetag. The snail is more up my alley (im really only lookin for 300whp) and i want minimal lag. It doesnt look like it has an intercooler in the kit... but i could always add one... or will that turbo NOT do well with an IC? The log mani doesnt bother me at all... but is this one also suspect to cracking?

I guess im asking someone to "sell me" on a kit like this. Tell me something other than "quality and longevity"? Tell me why dropping $4k is going to make me happy for reasons other than having all HKS parts under the hood...

Boost by gear. You can control what rpm the boost hits, helps tremendously with putting power to the ground. Higher power is easy to make.

With the right tuning, thats possible with ANY kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Well i was lookin at the EMUSA kit myself... only because i didnt want to *invest* in turbo. If i didnt like it, i wasnt out a lot when i went back to SC.

Keep in mind this kit would be in a k-swapped EJ (not EP), but that shouldnt affect too much other than maybe the DP. Lookin at the HKS kit up above had me liking that setup... till i saw the pricetag. The snail is more up my alley (im really only lookin for 300whp) and i want minimal lag. It doesnt look like it has an intercooler in the kit... but i could always add one... or will that turbo NOT do well with an IC? The log mani doesnt bother me at all... but is this one also suspect to cracking?

I guess im asking someone to "sell me" on a kit like this. Tell me something other than "quality and longevity"? Tell me why dropping $4k is going to make me happy for reasons other than having all HKS parts under the hood...
    The guy is selling it for 1900 shipped, not 4k. The turbocharger on that kit is pretty sweet, perfect for ~300 hp.

HKS's LIST price is 4k. Retailers usually sell it for much less, although out of all the kits out right now it is easily the most overpriced IMO.
    http://showstoppersusa.com/hks-gt283...up-rsx-type-s/

The Evolution:

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    The guy is selling it for 1900 shipped, not 4k. The turbocharger on that kit is pretty sweet, perfect for ~300 hp.

HKS's LIST price is 4k. Retailers usually sell it for much less, although out of all the kits out right now it is easily the most overpriced IMO.
    http://showstoppersusa.com/hks-gt283...up-rsx-type-s/
    Thats my fault i didnt specify that list was $4k. The one on the HKS site LOOKS like it comes with an IC. The one the guy was selling on CRSX doesnt have an IC and is selling for $1900.

It looks like the BO is $300 by itself, the snail is almost $1800 (i think im looking at the right one), the mani is $350. I see the mani limits me if i wanna upgrade snails later... but i kinda like the wastegate on the gt28. Any pros and cons there?

As far as boost by gear... that was one of the big selling points of SC... it builds boost with RPM. I have to spend more $ to have that feature with turbo (solenoid/tuning/etc).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information