Close

Thread: K24A8 Oil

K24A8 Oil

I know this isn't an EP specific question but you all are very knowledgable with these motors so I thought I'd try here. My brother got a 2008 Element which has a K24A8 which calls for 5w20 oil. I don't know if these have the same issues like K20a3/k24a4s with cam galling. Should he put 5w30 in there to be safe? It has a warranty and I don't want him to get boned on "putting the wrong oil in" or get boned later down the road for the cams falling apart.
    Last edited by bizzle; 09-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.

im sure they cant tell whether its 5w20 or 5w30 unless they see u put it in. 5w20 is what they suggest. i thnk ppl will say that 5w30 is what you should really run. im still a lil fuzzy on the oil situation. someone smart will chime in
    Last edited by Dbl-Htch; 02-18-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: pm'd ??'s

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    yeah from what i can tell 5w-20 is not your friend. i'm pretty sure that's what talon would tell you, and obviously he really knows his ish

I figured that. Curious to what talon has to say about this specific motor.

5w-20 is used to meet LEV (low emissions vehicle) standards and is suitable for DD'ing. The advantage of using 5w-30 would provide you with better protection during summer months, or if you are heavier on the gas pedal, since it will not burn off as easily.

Personally it's better to be on the safe side to have the right viscosity to protect you when you need it the most (at higher rpms)

In addition to weight, certain brands of oil will burn-off at a faster rate than others.

The cam galling issue was inherent to the 02-03 model k20a3's, some rare occasions on the 04-05. I am unfamiliar with the k24 having any issues.

A k24 Will produce more heat, which will take it's toll on the oil at a greater rate than any k20 if they are both under the same load/environment conditions.

I would recommend 5W-30 for your friend for his engine.
    Last edited by Nitrofaint; 09-10-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrofaint View Post
    5w-20 is used to meet LEV (low emissions vehicle) standards and is suitable for DD'ing. The advantage of using 5w-30 would provide you with better protection during summer months, or if you are heavier on the gas pedal, since it will not burn off as easily.

Personally it's better to be on the safe side to have the right viscosity to protect you when you need it the most (at higher rpms)

In addition to weight, certain brands of oil will burn-off at a faster rate than others.

The cam galling issue was inherent to the 02-03 model k20a3's, some rare occasions on the 04-05. I am unfamiliar with the k24 having any issues.

A k24 Will produce more heat, which will take it's toll on the oil at a greater rate than any k20 if they are both under the same load/environment conditions.

I would recommend 5W-30 for your friend for his engine.
    My 05 is galling :( Having the cams replaced tomorrow. I'll tell him to stick with 5w30 to be on the safe side because both him and his girlfriend have a lead foot.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
    My 05 is galling :( Having the cams replaced tomorrow. I'll tell him to stick with 5w30 to be on the safe side because both him and his girlfriend have a lead foot.
    Sorry to hear about the galling issue. I believe you can get it fixed through Honda since it is a manufacturers defect. There have been threads put on the issue if you search around.
    Last edited by Royal; 02-19-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrofaint View Post
    Sorry to hear about the galling issue. I believe you can get it fixed through Honda since it is a manufacturers defect. There have been threads put on the issue if you search around.
    I know this reply is way late, but it wasn't worth the hassle and wait to deal with Honda. I had a member here offer to do it for $75 and I gave him $100 anyway because it was well worth at least that much. The cams cost me $75 and the gasket and hondabond another $25. For $200 it was worth it to just get it over with and move on. Hopefully these last me to 200k. I am at 135k now.

It's no E30 :shifty

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
    I know this reply is way late, but it wasn't worth the hassle and wait to deal with Honda. I had a member here offer to do it for $75 and I gave him $100 anyway because it was well worth at least that much. The cams cost me $75 and the gasket and hondabond another $25. For $200 it was worth it to just get it over with and move on. Hopefully these last me to 200k. I am at 135k now.
    Glad you got it done before anymore damage could be done. Can't believe the galling happened on an 05.

Best of luck to you.

I just passed 100k and my baby is running great so far. Knock on wood! lol

Again, way late, but if I were you I'd pull your valve cover off and check them if you haven't already.

Thread Information