Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

mr-alternative, germany, tracktool Type R rebuilded

So hatchers, after a long time i have been nearly inactive here except reading some PMs i want to show you the reason for being away:

I bought a crashed and part-outed chassis which was a 2003 Civic Type R 30th anniversary edition.

Had come as following pictures show in late april this year:

Everyone says: "This a piece for the junk yard." or "You re really thinking that would drive again..."

But i got the plan in my brain and this must work, so i started and first i started removing the subframe and repairing the front end.

A few days after i got the car the front looked like this (11th of may):

At the same time i searched at ebay.co.uk for different parts and found a K20A2 engine with 51220 miles, starting at 1 pound.

Havent a expect, that i would be the highest bidder, because my maximum bid was only the half as the engines are sold from breakers in germany, but some day i come home from work a big pallet was in front of the car.
    So i called my neighbour and a co-worker to build the engine in the chassis.

The great day comes it was the 21th of may:

100_2756.jpg

Previously i tooked some PRA Ecu, all keys, drivers fuse box and ignition lock with my daily driver Ep3R to the dealership where i get all parts and have done there a programming of the immobilizer.

so then the moment comes, and yes its on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRNHeIaqYqc

in June i was working on getting parts for the car, the tranny was still missing so i pushed everything a bit, but my daily Ep3R needed new timing chain and tensioner and it tooked 2 weeks until i got the parts, so this time i could do just waiting for parts.

in July i started test-assembling the front, so everything will fit together later.

After removing the parts i get a right front fender and painted it. The interieur get done with a working SRS and seat belt system, so then it was ending july:

100_2764.jpg
    100_2763.jpg
    100_2765.jpg

So you see that the subframe and engine were not fixed anymore with the chassis. Parts come in and so everything was prepared for august:

100_2767.jpg

tranny comes and so everything could be bolt on...

after checking everything twice and getting number plates for short-time use i have done some trips with the car in septembre:

After the test drives i said....no way..the tranny is way too long. Not good for track-car use.

So now the car is back in the garage and waits for final drive and the racing seat belts, brakes and suspension.

To be continued soon...

nice build Andre. Wtf happened to that climate control section? It looks like a toasted marshmallow. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    nice build Andre. Wtf happened to that climate control section? It looks like a toasted marshmallow. lol
    the console is just a place holder and its painted in matt black to reduce light reflections, the one thing which is used is the blower fan switch which sets 4 speeds to the heater blower motor for blowing the windscreen with COLD air.

The rest of heater is removed.

Simply the car should be stripped down to the minimum which is needed. Radio, speakers, hifi surround things fom previous owner is removed.

rear seats and footwell removed by the guy who parted out, so less work for me.

Checked the current weight on my test drive too and now its a 1127 kilogramms. (1270kgs stock by honda documents, which my daily has got).

rest of interieur panels get removed when cage comes up, also the recaro seats which i use at the moment get changed into fibre glass bucket seats (Recaro Pole Position).

also the normal door panels get removed by carbon or very thin polycarbonate.

Some weight also get lost by using lighter rims and tyres.

I want to strip the car to a weight of less than 1100kgs.

Finally: forgot some picture, my ephatch duo

Last edited by mr-alternative; 10-03-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Found some solution for removing the stock suspension. Got some KW adjustable suspension. I will bring it to service for changing damper oil, seals and bearings.

Have to strip it down to just have the coilovers and then send them to KW.
    Some front strut brace has also come.

As you can see in the pic the mat between dashboard and fire wall panel has been removed.

Daamn good stuff Andre, what cage are you gonna go with, bolt in or welded? For your tranny you should do some Mtec race shifter springs. I put them in mine and wow the shifting is sooo much nicer! Here's a link if you want to look.
    http://www.mtecind.com/

@ Bill i choosed a bolted roll cage, which is manufactured by "wiechers sport" when i order it. My tracktool gets a street legal setup. So there only and final one for fitting a cage without any problems at the technical inspection called "Tuv" because they have got data sheets and inspicition documents which will help at the inspection.

Also i heard a bolted roll cage by Wiechers will cost about 1000 Euro here, some welted in cage by Cardiff costs about 3000 Euro.

Because the cheaper is version is safe as the more expensive one and easier to handle at the inspection i choosed the bolted version.
    Will order the cage when the car is back to road, because some motorsport team orders the cages and i need to drive to them for fitment etc.

my final car should have following specs:

- EDM K20A2 w/ RBC intake, Schrick or JDM camshafts, skunk2 timing chain tensioner plus oem or skunk2 timing chain
    - injen /aem cold air intake

- 5 speed tranny with shorter final drive ratio (now have 4,388), want to do 4,764 or 5,07 plus LSD 25 % OR JDM 6 speed tranny
    - Sachs 4 pad racing clutch

- drilled Front brake discs (tarox) with Tarox F114 or F115 brake pads OR 330mm brake
    - rear brake stock

- kw adjustable suspension later may change to adjustable H&R Cup suspension
    - H&R anti-roll bar
    - reinforced engine mounts front and rear (inserts may ok)

- Recaro Pole Position Seats
    - Momo Nardi steering wheel w/o airbag
    - Wiechers roll cage
    - Schroth 4 point 3" race seat belts

Buddy club 4-2-1 exhaust manifold, HJS 200 cell cat, custom catback exhaust

wheels should changed later to ultralight OZ wheels with Semislick Tyres (Toyo R 888 for example).

At the moment my list is following:

- get some seats
    - get some nice final drive
    - get some rear spoiler
    - go to technician inspection in spring 2012 for getting a new street licence for this car
    - having fun and get the rest of the list by time.

nice type R dude

update:

some friend which got some type r too changed his tranny to jdm standard so i could get his old EUDM CTR set-up.

I use it with my existing NRF5 tranny to built up some JDM spec 6 speed tranny.

Someone in his area got some NHBP pearl rear spoiler for sale, i get it too.

Remembering now: my friend is also hee on ephatch: Thanks to nikker!

Switched to a 6speed gearbox, upgraded and changed FD, counterhshaft, gears. Its now a EUDM 6speed ctr tranny with a 4,7 FD instead of the 4.3 FD.

Dont need the 4.3 FD longer and if anyone needs it, then let me know (you could get of course the matching countershaft too)

Now i'm installing the tranny but the rear mount will not fit ( engine and gearbox moved forward). Will work on this and installing all together so the car runs this weekend.

Car is coming together nicely. Nice pick on the type R!

Tranny and all which was removed are now back on their positions , car is put together.

I had to change also the second oxygen sensor and have done some progress.

suspension is at the manufacturer for servicing it.

These days i become a set of 3" Schroth Racing harnesses.

Have done some late night shoots with the cam:
    100_2844.jpg100_2847.jpg
    Last edited by mr-alternative; 11-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Received these days my new Schroth Profi III FE asm harnesses and installed them today.

I really like the combination, but may going to upgrade to some Pole Position seats.

What do you guys think?

Let the Dc5 Recaro SR type seats or change to Recaro Pole Position?

After a very cold january the car is now finished for 1st use. Last week i get temorary licence plates for bring the car to the technical inspection and get valid emissions test for getting regular plates.

This civic has now following specs:

engine: K20A2 @ 52000miles bought in UK

tranny: NRF5 , uprated to following: NRF5 mainshaft with 3. 4., 5. and 6th gear from the NPQ3 6speed gearbox, countershaft and final drive also NPQ3 spec.

exhaust: JDM Integra Dc5 header and cat (4-2-1 piping), OEM CTR catback, later changing to Invidia or custom catback

suspensions: KW Var. 2 full adjustable coilover set, H&R reinforced anti-roll bars front and rear

brake: Goodridge brake lines, Factory brake rotors, oem pads on rear, ferodo ds3000 on front

Wheels/tyres: ASA JH57 7,5x17 offset 40, Hankook R-S2 tyres 215/40R17 87Y

seats/belts: Integra Dc5 red Recaro seats, Schroth Profi III 4point seat harnesses

interior: minimized to stuff which is needed, shift knob extension

Looks really good, love the optimism!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information