Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

k20a3 upgrade path for DD

Long time lurker/reader.. first time poster.

So I have a EP3 with a K20a3 which after much research am disappointed that it is the econo engine. Now I'm looking to make this DD sort of a project car over the next year or so. It has 70k miles on it now. What I've been trying to establish is what to do with the engine.

I could swap it with another engine like the K20z3 or maybe a k24a2 or k20a2. That's a bit of work for my limited experience and would be costly. Yes I know that you have to pay to play.

I could also go the route of FI with either a JRSC or a Turbo kit.

Next I bet you guys would like to know my target performance. I'd like to get the K20a3 up to the 200hp range. So it's not anything too crazy, just more of a powerband than what it has stock for the DD I have.

After more reading, it sounds like installing a turbo is a bit more involved than installing a JRSC. And either one would get me close to the target of 200hp with I/H/E boltons. I'm leaning more toward the JRSC street kit at this point.

I'm looking for some guidance here as to the next step for this stock k20a3.

Do I get all the boltons first and then go after a JRSC? Can I install a JRSC without the boltons and do the boltons afterwards to get further gains from the JRSC?

What do you think?

If you feel that the JRSC is not the best to reach my target, let me know and include maybe a guess for cost in the route you suggest.

Thanks EP hatchers and be easy on me. It's my first post.

its exactly what im going with if i can ever find a nice jrsc cheap lol at least 250hp would be my range dd

Kpro would be the first on your list! I would at least pick up an intake and race header before or during the install of the supercharger, so you only have to get it tuned once. You should easily hit 210-220 on that. Are you on a tight budget? You can always get a k24a1 with vtec killer setup (k20a2 cams locked into big lobe (vtec)) that will put you over 200 whp with tons of torque, and you would be all motor with room to boosted in the future. So many choices in the k series world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah1219 View Post
    Kpro would be the first on your list! I would at least pick up an intake and race header before or during the install of the supercharger, so you only have to get it tuned once. You should easily hit 210-220 on that. Are you on a tight budget? You can always get a k24a1 with vtec killer setup (k20a2 cams locked into big lobe (vtec)) that will put you over 200 whp with tons of torque, and you would be all motor with room to boosted in the future. So many choices in the k series world.
    From the description of the JRSC on http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/Vie...eIndexID=39967 it sounds like they provide a reflash of your ECU. Does that mean you require KPro prior or can go without KPro?

The budget is not necessarily tight, but I wanted to do as much myself as possible. A full engine swap is out of my league personally and paying a shop to do it defeats the experience I want to get learning my own engine.

I've considered getting some k20a2 cams/head/springs/valves to drop into the k20a3 block as I've seen some others successfully do. It didn't sound like you'd "need" to pull the engine out to do that work. I could be wrong there. That I know will require a KPro to manage.

What is attractive about the JRSC onto the k20a3 is that I should be able to do it myself. I was also hoping to avoid having to send my ECU away as this is my DD. A week or more without it being drivable would be tough. A weekend of that while working on the JRSC install would be manageable.

Alright Kpro would be a must at all times. Ive been told that you have good chances to be running lean on the reflash. Also kpro and reflash, you have to send your ecu into Hondata. They reflash the ecu to pretty much a different map, so it's still not tune-able which can cause lean that you can't fix unless you got kpro instead.

You can also buy k-pro off of another member on here or k20a.org, so you won't have to mess with the shipping to Hondata.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah1219 View Post
    You can also buy k-pro off of another member on here or k20a.org, so you won't have to mess with the shipping to Hondata.
    Okay so k-pro should be in place prior to the JRSC so you can tune it after the install. You don't want to run untuned for the reason you stated, possibly too lean.

If you buy k-pro used from someone else, do you still have to send away your ECU? It was my impression that k-pro attached to the existing ECU unit.

Back to the topic, k-pro installed first and then you can install the JRSC (and any bolt-ons) and get tuned. I know it would be easier to do the boltons all at the same time to limit the number of times you need tuned, but can you install the JRSC without the other boltons while still aquiring/selecting the boltons I want?

Yes k-pro and reflash attach to the existing ecu, but you can get another k-proed ecu and swap on the ecu's. You would have to study more apon that. I dont have much knowledge about kpro. I stray away from all eletrical bullshit.

Yes you can get the supercharger on your stock bolt on's, but you would be holding back massive ponies. I don't even want to know what power you would get with a stock intake/ exhaust system. It almost sounds like a waste. I would at least get a race header (even if it's just a dc or obx) and an intake.

Shoot I even have a brand new dc ceramic race header in my room. About to put it up for sale for a more expensive race header.

you can get your bolt on first then kpro and fun with it untill you buy your jrsc. kpro is a must and u can push out atleast 210whp depending on your bolt-on. i made 218 on jrsc/dcrh(typeS) magnaflow exhaust and im getting around 23-26mpg. goodluck with your build.

It sounds like for $3k ish (kpro + jrsc) it would get me to the target. The more I look around it seems that I could get a k20a2 for $1600 and have it installed for less and get to my target.

The only thing I don't like is that I wouldn't be doing the work myself.

Tough decisions need to be made. I wish I could get away with not having to get kpro for the street jrsc. It seems like you shouldn't do anything to the k series without it.

yeh it shouldn't be more than 3,000$ for jrsc+kpro+ tune. If your not in a rush take your time looking for kpro, i found mines for 700$ I remember some a few selling for 800-900$ off k20a.org and jrsc should be around 1800 depending on the seller. Take your time.

shoot good info. never really thot about power/motor wise gains for my ep. as soon as I'm done with exterior stuff I'll jump into tht section. hmm turbo or jrsc? dnt kno yet

but nonetheless good luck with ur build man. keep us posted.

you'll still be disappointed with the k20a3 and will become more power hungry. Do it right the first time by swapping and that way your money will be worth it. There should be some ephatch members in ohio that can help you swap the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Virus View Post
    you'll still be disappointed with the k20a3 and will become more power hungry. Do it right the first time by swapping and that way your money will be worth it. There should be some ephatch members in ohio that can help you swap the motor.
    yup a k24a1 tuned has more pull than my a3 jrsc but im not really power hungry, if was i would buy a Evo or Sti

Quote Originally Posted by willy_akino View Post
    yup a k24a1 tuned has more pull than my a3 jrsc but im not really power hungry, if was i would buy a Evo or Sti
    LoL...Willy, I don't think you'll go Evo or STI anytime soon..I think the next set up you'll go for after your A3 JRSC will either be a Vtec Killer or K24a1 or K24A2 with that JRSC...hehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Virus View Post
    I really want to learn as I go and get satisfaction that way. Getting more power is just a bonus. A full swap may cost about the same but I can't do that myself and I can't be down my DD for long.

It sounds like I will be starting out with standard boltons while I try to get a fair price on a kpro. I will also need to find a tuner in Columbus since the only one listed in Ohio is 2 hrs away from me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information