Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will this manifold fit?

I would have to guess that's a negative. With our high mounted steering racks I'm pretty sure there would be issues.

Why may I ask would you even want that? Its a $1400 ram horn????

Look in the FAQ for the kit for installed pictures.

OMG! Sexxay! I dunno about an EP but it looks like it will fit my EJ!

for that price that's not a sidewinder I'd rather purchase a turbo mani from *cough* a company in arizona (who will be nameless) that sells a EP3 specific manifold.

im sure u can find a sidewinder much cheaper even on this forum...i have a sidewinder rsx manifold and i had to modify some hose to make it run right..

i never said i was paying $1400 for it. i just wanted to know if it would fit the ep. the pictures in the faq don't show it installed in an ep, just mounted on the motor outside of the car. i had one in my hands a few hours ago but it wasn't for me. it looks like it would fit but i didn't have the ep with me so i couldn't gauge it. im guessing it would come down to snail size and all that, but it does fit an fg/fa at the least. its a bottom mount like cybernation, but tubular.

Here are some clearance pictures for our chassis and my manifold for reference. As you can see the steering rack and rear engine mount may pose clearance issues. Also keep in mind the manifold in the pictures is much more compact and uses smaller diameter high velocity primary's.

thanks ctd. does your manifold creep with the wastegate mounted like that? are you able to clock the outlet down in that direction?

The wastegate inlet had a full "Tear drop" to ensure the best possible flow. I really put quite a bit of time and effort into the wastegate position and flow design.

K series engine flow very very well and creep is something we have to deal with when trying to run low boost on large very efficient turbos (ie 35rs and PTE 62's+). This can be solved by running a softer spring and I am actually looking into trying to fit a 60mm gate.

Here are two dyno graphs so you can see what the powerbands look like. Both setup did have a small amount of creep but both running 650+ hp capable turbos. Both guys will be receiving lighter springs for their gates for tuning boost by gear.

Ginger's stock K20A2 with CTD top mount and Garrett ball bearing 35r with 0.82 housing. Crept about 4 psi

Andy's K24A2 with CTD top mount and PTE ball bearing 6262. Crept about 5 psi it looks like from the vid.

As far as wastegate performance goes with manifold and K series it works pretty well. I have personally seen Full Race K sidewinders creep from 5 to 15+psi, and even creep on 60mm gates! lol Creep isn't the end of the world as long as it is manageable. It actually has a really nice side effect on the powerband, it smooths everything out which equals more control and traction.

The housing cannot be clocked down due to the position of the gate.

A couple people have asked about this and I do have a solution. IMO I would rather have my piping as far away from heat sources as possible. Function > fashion
    Last edited by Ctd-fab; 10-14-2011 at 08:16 PM.

fasho. was hoping to point down, but that wont stop me. just trying to hide the snail as best i can from the cops. but i guess it doesn't matter, i don't have to pop my hood for anyone anyways. is that a gt30 or 35r?

interesting. Is that a twin scroll manifold?

I wouldnt mind getting a hold of a tubular twin scroll manifold. now thats beastly!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    fasho. was hoping to point down, but that wont stop me. just trying to hide the snail as best i can from the cops. but i guess it doesn't matter, i don't have to pop my hood for anyone anyways. is that a gt30 or 35r?
    35r with a 0.82 housing. Power is down because of the intake manifold, 2.5 inch exhaust, and running out of fuel due to stock return.

Quote Originally Posted by playap07 View Post
    interesting. Is that a twin scroll manifold?

I wouldnt mind getting a hold of a tubular twin scroll manifold. now thats beastly!!!!!!!!
    Lol, nope THAT one isn't but.......

this one is. Still in top secret prototype phase 1. This WILL be the Ultimate street torque monster setup.

now before people start jumping ship, im not disproving ctd's manifold or anything. for the general knowledge of ephatch, i want to know if that full race fa/fg manifold fits. someone might ask it one day, and we can refer them here whether it does or not. that is all.

Here is the reason a full race fa/fg manifold will not work in an Ep3/Rsx

Notice the difference in the rear engine mount compared to ours.

If you were able to fit the manifold I highly doubt that wastegate location will work. Also I doubt you would be able to squeeze a finger in between the compressor intake and rear mount.

Technically I would say anything will fit. Its how much time you are willing to invest to make it fit. Re-engineer the rear engine mount and re-fabricate the wastegate location, just might have to convert to a low mount steering rack, custom rack and pinion??? and modify your struts for your new steering setup. Maybe just convert over to the whole FA/FG subframe somehow?

Anything is possible. And I am not trying to say at all that one manifold is better than another. I am trying to say that anyone that wants a reliable hassle free turbo setup should buy products build for their chassis. I have an Ep3 and I designed my turbo setup specifically for an Ep3. I design/build manifolds for a living and have assembled probably 2000+ to date....you kind of get an eye for what works and what won't.
    Last edited by Ctd-fab; 10-18-2011 at 02:45 AM.

For the sake of knowledge I thought I would also add this little tidbit.

Since you asked about creep earlier I thought you should also know the full race fa/fg manifold have been known to creep. One guy had a 35R creep to 14psi on a 4.3psi spring. The problem is that they only gate off of one cylinder on the collector + with the high flow engine characteristics I talked about before.

Last edited by Ctd-fab; 10-18-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information