Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EP3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)

Might as well be huh? Now that I have your attention...how many of you have tranny crunch/grinds? ie. 1st to 2nd or the the infamous 3rd gear grind/pop out. It seems to me along with the weak motor mounts in the EP3 (even the JDM review video of the EP3 the guy says EP3's have weak motor mounts but thats another isssue) that our EP3s have crappy transmissions. Most people, specifically Honda/Acura enthusiasts will concur that Honda for the most part makes good motors, but sh!tty transmissions. I was on 8th gen civic and those people with the FA/FG Si Civics complain about the same issues of 3rd gear grind/pop out when shifting spiritedly. Now when I drive like a grandma shifting around 3K, I am good. Now sometimes I will open the car up/go WOT and bam I get the grind and cringe. And yes I am depressing the clutch all the way to the floor and not doing anything sketchy such as speed/power shifting which btw I think is a cruel and idiotic method of rowing through the gears. Now what I ask is for most if not all of you with the grind issue, what did you do about it? I keep hearing/reading rave reviews about this GM synchromesh fluid, anyone vouch for that? Also just for your information if you didnt know, most of my friends have DC5s and they to have the 3rd gear grind/pop out. Well for my car/situation I cant remember when I ever had a pop out, just the grinds. But its not just...we drive Hondas dammit...they shouldnt have poopy trannies. BTW our 2002 Acura TL has been through 2 trannies.

i think its the way people treat them. I have 185 000km on my tranny and it has no real grinding issues. I dont baby it. hell, i downshift without the clutch while left foot braking on a somewhat regular basis when im driving spiritedly. Last winter I did an endurance night nav rally where i was shifting constantly up and down through the gears for hours while only using the clutch when i found a straight piece of road (which was rare where we were). I wasnt doing it to torture the car. It was slippery as hell and i really needed to play off the throttle an brake constantly to maintane average speed through the twisty, icey logging roads.

Years ago when i was all into suzuki swifts (my first car, first love. haha) we all bitched about them having glass trannies. I put 3 trannies in mine in less than 2 years.

a few years after that I had an rx8 and tracked it regularily. Everyone complained those trannies were junk/made of glass too. I never had problems with mine. I learned my lessons from the suzuki.

All the 350z guys we knew that tracked with us bitched about their trannies too.

What you have to realize is that ep3s arent porsches. they are built economically to be economical and somewhat fun to drive. While they are able to handle redline shifts when they are new. they cant do it forever. Things where out. Its the drivers fault. get over it.

Dear TS,

All of the information you posted about the 'weaknesses' and known issues of the k20a3 trans makes me ask one question...

Why did you post this thread?

If you are aware of the issues, as most of us are, then why did you ask the question... "EP3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)". Its not like its even in the transmission section, so if you DID uncover some unknown fact, it would be easily visible in the proper area for interested users.

I know im not a mod, nor does my opinion really matter but... a lot of your threads belong in the Off Topic section. All this does is clutter up useful information that is supposed to be easily found when looked or searched for. Its useless threads like this i hate scrolling through when i DO search for something useful, and a BIG reason new people DONT like to use the search feature because they DONT wanna filter through endless BS threads.

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user

Quote Originally Posted by ba82ep3 View Post
    dear ts,

all of the information you posted about the 'weaknesses' and known issues of the k20a3 trans makes me ask one question...

If you are aware of the issues, as most of us are, then why did you ask the question... "ep3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)". Its not like its even in the transmission section, so if you did uncover some unknown fact, it would be easily visible in the proper area for interested users.

I know im not a mod, nor does my opinion really matter but... A lot of your threads belong in the off topic section. All this does is clutter up useful information that is supposed to be easily found when looked or searched for. Its useless threads like this i hate scrolling through when i do search for something useful, and a big reason new people dont like to use the search feature because they dont wanna filter through endless bs threads.

Please stop,

EPHatch
    ftfy
    PSN: theehuggybear

I get a third gear grind at high rpm shifting. But i'm at 202k miles on stock clutch and trans for christ's sake. My 08 civic on the other hand does not like to go into second gear, some times it takes 3 trys. some times first is just as hard. I have read that the clutch MS has allot to do with it. But as far as the 06-up 6 spds. they have faulty syncro's every one knows it and honda fixes them if they are under warranty. If you dont like your grinds then shift sooner, going all the way to redline really isnt making you any faster. Also take time to shift properly, give the trans time to catch up. Our gear boxes are not sequential. If your that worried about it by carbon syncro's from a s2k gear box.

I swapped my k series trans for a t56. Haven't had any issues

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    fuck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Dear TS,

All of the information you posted about the 'weaknesses' and known issues of the k20a3 trans makes me ask one question...

If you are aware of the issues, as most of us are, then why did you ask the question... "EP3s have glass transmission? (gear grind woes)". Its not like its even in the transmission section, so if you DID uncover some unknown fact, it would be easily visible in the proper area for interested users.

I know im not a mod, nor does my opinion really matter but... a lot of your threads belong in the Off Topic section. All this does is clutter up useful information that is supposed to be easily found when looked or searched for. Its useless threads like this i hate scrolling through when i DO search for something useful, and a BIG reason new people DONT like to use the search feature because they DONT wanna filter through endless BS threads.

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

rebuilt it with new gears and sychnros and cleaned out the garbage left in the case, then only used AMSoil synchromesh specifically for hondas. butter.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    joke? kinda funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Dear TS,

Please stop,

Concerned EPHatch user
    because he likes seeing himself post. have you seen his other posts?

and his infamous, "have you tasted your own jizz?" thread on clubrsx.

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by powdbyrice View Post
    because he likes seeing himself post. have you seen his other posts?

and his infamous, "have you tasted your own jizz?" thread on clubrsx.
    hahahahaha link?

Its to bad we dont still have that 30 plus page of names of users who have tranny issues. Im guessing none of you remember that? cars were brand fucking new built with horrible transmissions.

With that said im at 74k boosted for 10k+, stock clutch, original tran fluid,DD, spirited, autocross, onramp racing lol, you name it and knock on wood not one problem, minus not always getting into reverse but what Honda isint like that lol, ts its really just a hit or miss.

who knows. after that amsoil and synchros though i swear its better than brand new.

honda mtf, and dont powershift 97k no problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information