Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cruise control for aftermarket wheel?

so i dont wanna lose my cruise control if i get an aftermarket wheel and was wondering if anyone has taken off their cruise control and mounted it onto the dash?

i've seen it done on 240's but has anyone done it on an ep?

cant u put a cruise control switch from a ek or something on the dash and wire it up to it

AKA Purple94coupe Euro-Yellow-Ep3's Avatar
    this is a great idea, if u do this make it a diy

Shouldent be to hard. Also depending on what wheel you get. You could drill and mount it to the actual hub of the wheel. When you drill make another hole to run the wires if there is room.

I've been kinda wanting an aftermarket wheel myself but didn't want to loose cruise. Would be awsome if someone mounted it somewhere else. Mabye on the steering column cover??

its been done before. theres a diy on zilvia.net where the ts took the module off the wheel and mounted it under the dash on the right side. i'll do it after i get my wheel for christmas haha

Losing air bag not a concern but no cruise control zomg

Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    like a boss

Anyone ever get around to this?

I'VE DONE IT!!!

Everthing works after i did my aftermarket wheel, Horn and cruise works like a champ. DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES!! <----- This is vital!!

in a nut shell:
    you'll have to CAREFULLY remove the "clock spring" from the hub (it's a real bitch to get it off, but you have to be super carefull not to break anything), then you'll have to trim some of the electrical tape thats wrapping the wires together off a bit, to get the stuff to reach underneath.

You will have to relocate the clock spring to under neath the dash. This clock spring allws you to use the cruise, and when it's oem, it allows the horn/cruise connection so that when your turning the wheel, the wires wont bind up, SO DON'T CUT ANY WIRES. You'll be using all oem plugs and conections. Just unplug what you need to, to make shit fit, then reconnect.

So after you've found a spot to but the clock spring, you can look into relocating the buttons. I moved them to the left pocket under the dash on the left for ease of access and to look cleaner. It's not secured in, because it's easier for me to grab it when i'm strapped in.

It will be a bit tight to try and fit all that shit underneath, but i guaranteeing that it will fit.

before buttonning everyting up, take it for a drive to see if it works, if it does then youre good to go. If not then there is probably a plug you missed. If the clock spring is broken, and your horn is hooked up properly, the horn "should" stop working, so that could be helpful if you run into troubles.

**do this at your own risk, i'm no pro.**

You can also search google, I probably did a solid 10 hours of reearch on how to get everything to work properly, with out hacking shit up. I always like to have the option of going back to oem if need be.

Note: DC5 write ups are virtually the same, and you;ll probably have much more luck finding a thread for the dc5 than the ep3.

Hope this helps dude!!

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask me, I feel yourpain ;)

and i just realized the op asked this like ayear ago hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rd02SiR View Post
    I'VE DONE IT!!!

Everthing works after i did my aftermarket wheel, Horn and cruise works like a champ. DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES!! <----- This is vital!!

in a nut shell:
    you'll have to CAREFULLY remove the "clock spring" from the hub (it's a real bitch to get it off, but you have to be super carefull not to break anything), then you'll have to trim some of the electrical tape thats wrapping the wires together off a bit, to get the stuff to reach underneath.

You will have to relocate the clock spring to under neath the dash. This clock spring allws you to use the cruise, and when it's oem, it allows the horn/cruise connection so that when your turning the wheel, the wires wont bind up, SO DON'T CUT ANY WIRES. You'll be using all oem plugs and conections. Just unplug what you need to, to make shit fit, then reconnect.

So after you've found a spot to but the clock spring, you can look into relocating the buttons. I moved them to the left pocket under the dash on the left for ease of access and to look cleaner. It's not secured in, because it's easier for me to grab it when i'm strapped in.

It will be a bit tight to try and fit all that shit underneath, but i guaranteeing that it will fit.

before buttonning everyting up, take it for a drive to see if it works, if it does then youre good to go. If not then there is probably a plug you missed. If the clock spring is broken, and your horn is hooked up properly, the horn "should" stop working, so that could be helpful if you run into troubles.

**do this at your own risk, i'm no pro.**

You can also search google, I probably did a solid 10 hours of reearch on how to get everything to work properly, with out hacking shit up. I always like to have the option of going back to oem if need be.

Note: DC5 write ups are virtually the same, and you;ll probably have much more luck finding a thread for the dc5 than the ep3.

Hope this helps dude!!

If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask me, I feel yourpain ;)
    Any pics? I definitely want to see the finished product... :)

Quote Originally Posted by el_puncho View Post
    Any pics? I definitely want to see the finished product... :)
    you can see it in my members ride link in my sig.

Kind of hard to see the relocation in the pics...awesome ride though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information