View Poll Results: Install New Cat or Keep Old One

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Put the new one on... It'll give ya 35 more whp

2 100.00%
  • Sell dat shit bruh.. it'll ruin all your midrange power

0 0%
    ephatch member

Thought my CAT was bad.. now not sure. What would you do?

Here's the situation.

I've been having an off and on CEL for a few months now. I take it into the stealership and they say the problem is a bad Catalytic Converter, something about the battery, and an electronic load detector. 1300 for the Cat installed, HA! 400 - 500 for the electronics....

I go to get a second opinion and they say the same thing.. ELD and Cat need replacing. They quote me 700 for a new cat - installed.

So I do some research and see cats that are a lot cheaper and figure I can install it myself or shop around for a cheap place that will do it for me, and throw a new shorty header and midpipe on at the same time. So I order the Cat.. it got here today.

I went into the stealership today to buy the ELD. They told me OVER AND OVER AGAIN that you have to replace the whole fuse box "on the Si model." I say "no I have heard that the CRV part will work on the Si. It's a 30 dollar piece. I have been told not to let the dealership try to convince me to replace my whole fuse box for 500 dollars under any circumstances."

That shut them up

I install the ELD according to the directions on the DIY thread (thanks whoever posted that!) CEL light goes off, electronics work better, car feels good. As the CEL stays off... I suddenly realize that maybe the CAT wasnt bad at all, but the ELD was just fucking that up for some reason giving me a false reading. SO now I have a brand new Cat in my living room and I'm not even sure if I need it. I have 30 days to replace but have to pay return shipping and restocking fee that would be expensive...

So, what would you do? Install the new Cat, because the stock one might go bad sooner rather than later? Would I see some gains? As I said I will be installing a shorty header and aftermarket midpipe all at the same time...

Or should I keep the OEM one on and sell or return the new one?

Anyone want to buy a Catalytic converter??

Install the new one think of it like maintnance

sell old cat. profit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    sell old cat. profit.
    Yup like he said sell the old one pay for the install of it with the money u make from it

Im interested in your OEM cat, how many miles on it?

ephatch member
    round 95k on stock cat unless was replaced previously. I'm actually thinking about selling the new untouched cat since my CEL is nowhere to be found after installing the ELD, thinking about the californians who can't get knock off OEM replacements shipped to them. I'm kind of pissed I have a brand new CAT in my closet when I don't need it ..... plus I figure a test pipe is better since I need more HP's for the a3 and texas is lenient on emissions. we shall see though, if I don't get any interest in the new cat I'll install it anyway and sell the original

How long/how many miles since the CEL was last on?
    Sometimes it takes a little while for the codes to pop again, of you haven't put too many miles on since the ELD replacement, you might give it a little more time just to make sure you don't need that new cat.

Also, way to not let the stealership bend you over man!!! EPHatch FTW!

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    How long/how many miles since the CEL was last on?
    Sometimes it takes a little while for the codes to pop again, of you haven't put too many miles on since the ELD replacement, you might give it a little more time just to make sure you don't need that new cat.

Also, way to not let the stealership bend you over man!!! EPHatch FTW!
    Yea it's been probably 300 miles since it was on. We shall see. I'm gonna need a new battery too because the broken ELD fucks with the battery.

BUT YA EPHATCH >>>> STEALERSHIPS

300 miles should be plenty of time for a bad cat to throw a CEL. You're probably in the clear.
    As for the battery, swing by an Auto Zone or Advance Auto and get it checked out, never know, it might still be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by StockTexasEP3 View Post
    thinking about the californians who can't get knock off OEM replacements shipped to them.
    Actually Cali is one of those states that can get almost anything shipped to them
    Except some guns..
    BUT, cali people always always need CAT's
    Sell to a Cali person!
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    300 miles should be plenty of time for a bad cat to throw a CEL. You're probably in the clear.
    As for the battery, swing by an Auto Zone or Advance Auto and get it checked out, never know, it might still be fine.
    Gratzi.
    Last edited by BlackHatchSnatc; 02-26-2009 at 12:59 AM.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJamesYu View Post
    Actually Cali is one of those states that can get almost anything shipped to them
    Except some guns..
    BUT, cali people always always need CAT's
    Sell to a Cali person!
    The Cat that I bought, and almost all the OEM knock off replacement things couldn't be shipped to cali due to laws about the emissions and stuff.

I'm thinking of getting a downpipe anyway since I just found that there's no sniff test here.

Quote Originally Posted by StockTexasEP3 View Post
    The Cat that I bought, and almost all the OEM knock off replacement things couldn't be shipped to cali due to laws about the emissions and stuff.
    They can still be shipped to cali, for off road use
    But I believe there is a user who just started a thread about needing a new cat
    Sell it to him!

edit:
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...tic-converters!
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

I need a cat! Lol pm me a price if u willing to sell. Zip 90002

Thread Information