Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question a2 Head+RBC on ep3 block ?

friend of mine is parting out his car and i can get the k20a2 head for a pretty decent price.
    i already have the RBC, adapter and K-pro. (rbc not installed yet) i am also spraying a 75 wet shot and the basic Bolt ons, and 1000 Rc injectors also not installed yet. (bought them from a friend of mine for dirt cheap)
    so my Question is: should i go for it and swap the a2 head, RBC manifold in to my a3 block? yay or nay?
    i know the way to go will be to get a k24 block and do a Frank and as always all the replies are : wait and do the whole swap at once... but i just dont want to do that at the moment.

so what do you guys think on the a2 head swap? anybody else running a similar set up?

Hell yeah swap the a2 head and RBC. Youre definitely gonna have more air... and at different times (two lobe VTEC versus a three lobe VTEC crossover)... so make sure you have everything tuned on the safe side.

Yea I remember one of the OG forgot who made 190 whp with just I/h/e, kpro, and a2 head

As long as he keeps his AFR's in check... and watch his ignition advance and RPM's... its should be a fun lil bitch to wheel.

The bad thing about nitrous... its like that effing hot chick with STD's... you wanna hit it but are afraid of the consequences. lol

Sorry... old joke but always makes me laugh.

[QUOTE=Ba82Ep3;938702]As long as he keeps his AFR's in check... and watch his ignition advance and RPM's... its should be a fun lil bitch to wheel.

The bad thing about nitrous... its like that effing hot chick with STD's... you wanna hit it but are afraid of the consequences. lol

Sorry... old joke but always makes me laugh.

Hahahahha

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    Yea I remember one of the OG forgot who made 190 whp with just I/h/e, kpro, and a2 head
    That would have been Gearhead Geek and Anjapower. Both were over 190whp back in 2005. Six years later, there's more efficient cams, larger CAIs, bigger tbs, better IMs, and much better tuning options out there...

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    That would have been Gearhead Geek and Anjapower. Both were over 190whp back in 2005. Six years later, there's more efficient cams, larger CAIs, bigger tbs, better IMs, and much better tuning options out there...
    Yea those are the guys.. The tuner saved that one guys life lol

alright guys one more Question: whats all i need to do this a2 headswap? so far i have on my list:

a2 head
    RBC manifold & Hondata IMG
    Hondabond
    ARP head studs
    exhaust gasket

anything else im missing? or something else you guys reconmend?
    Last edited by EDU; 12-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.

also does anybody have a link of "how to" on this headswap?
    any help will be really appreciate it.
    i did a lil research and some ppl says that i can do the head swap without pulling the timing cover? just to make sure that the chain doesnt come off on the bottom? if that happens then ill be fucked and have to pull the cover to fix it. somebody used a bongie cord to hold the chain "up" while he did the swap.
    and also: will my exhaust bolt straight up to the new head? i have DC header (for the a3 head of course)
    once again thanks for reading guys.

Quote Originally Posted by EDU View Post
    alright guys one more Question: whats all i need to do this a2 headswap? so far i have on my list:

a2 head
    RBC manifold & Hondata IMG
    Hondabond
    ARP head studs
    exhaust gasket

anything else im missing? or something else you guys reconmend?
    Don't forget the head gasket.....just get OEM or Toda/Mugen/Spoon (for a .4 compression bump). In either aspect, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EDU
    i did a lil research and some ppl says that i can do the head swap without pulling the timing cover? just to make sure that the chain doesnt come off on the bottom? if that happens then ill be fucked and have to pull the cover to fix it. somebody used a bongie cord to hold the chain "up" while he did the swap.
    and also: will my exhaust bolt straight up to the new head? i have DC header (for the a3 head of course)
    once again thanks for reading guys.
    It's a 100% straight forward job. Have you downloaded a RSX or Ep3 Helms manual? If not, check my sig and get your .pdf for both.

Take off your timing cover so you know 100% that everything is matching up correctly and your timing is dead on. Also, while you're in there change to a NEW timing chain and PM chunky to get a new upgraded RAZ timing chain tensioner. It's crucial that you don't skip a tooth, especially when considering we have VTC which could lead to catastrophic problems. There are a few DIY timing guides floating around online to help you with putting the chain on correctly. I also have a part number at home for a simple tool that you can buy from your local Honda dealer that will help you. I'll make sure to find it when I get home after leaving work.

Your header/exhaust will be fine.

Don't forget the head gasket.....just get OEM or Toda/Mugen/Spoon (for a .4 compression bump). In either aspect, you should be fine.

that was my next question: should i get a2 head gasket? a3? or are both the same?
    thanks for the reply.

You have to remove the timing cover if youre doing a head swap. The forward timing chain guide is bolted to the head and you cant get to it without removing the timing cover. You can only get away with leaving the cover on if you swap cams... either gasket will work.

It's a 100% straight forward job. Have you downloaded a RSX or Ep3 Helms manual? If not, check my sig and get your .pdf for both.

Take off your timing cover so you know 100% that everything is matching up correctly and your timing is dead on. Also, while you're in there change to a NEW timing chain and PM chunky to get a new upgraded RAZ timing chain tensioner. It's crucial that you don't skip a tooth, especially when considering we have VTC which could lead to catastrophic problems. There are a few DIY timing guides floating around online to help you with putting the chain on correctly. I also have a part number at home for a simple tool that you can buy from your local Honda dealer that will help you. I'll make sure to find it when I get home after leaving work.

Your header/exhaust will be fine.
    ^^Good info.

I just did head studs on a K24A2 and it's way helpful to have a manual for the order of the studs, torque specs, and so on.

We took the chain cover off. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it seems like it would be very difficult to do without taking the chain cover off, and honestly it's one of the easier steps of the process. Hondabond the shit out of the cover when you put it back on.

When you're putting the chain back on, you will see black links indicating where it needs to be on the gears. I believe there are two sets of 2 black links for the cam gears, and one single black link for the crank gear if I remember correctly. All of that should be in the manual though.

We took the rocker assembly, cams, etc. off in one piece and the hardest part was keeping all of the rockers up off of the valve springs when putting it back on.

I haven't worked with any upgraded chain tensioners, but the OEM one is a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by gtolio View Post
    ^^Good info.

I just did head studs on a K24A2 and it's way helpful to have a manual for the order of the studs, torque specs, and so on.

We took the chain cover off. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it seems like it would be very difficult to do without taking the chain cover off, and honestly it's one of the easier steps of the process. Hondabond the shit out of the cover when you put it back on.

When you're putting the chain back on, you will see black links indicating where it needs to be on the gears. I believe there are two sets of 2 black links for the cam gears, and one single black link for the crank gear if I remember correctly. All of that should be in the manual though.

We took the rocker assembly, cams, etc. off in one piece and the hardest part was keeping all of the rockers up off of the valve springs when putting it back on.

I haven't worked with any upgraded chain tensioners, but the OEM one is a pain in the ass.
    P.S. Buy this guys^^^^(always been a standup honest guy on here) JRSC and add it to the K20a2 head and install everything together in one fell swoop. You won't regret it and will have more power than you know what to do with. I also have two .kals for you if you do buy his JRSC, since I have this exact setup on my black Ep3.

P.S. Buy this guys^^^^(always been a standup honest guy on here) JRSC and add it to the K20a2 head and install everything together in one fell swoop. You won't regret it and will have more power than you know what to do with. I also have two .kals for you if you do buy his JRSC, since I have this exact setup on my black Ep3.
    Thanks a lot man. I appreciate the kind words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information