Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Difference between Honda OEM Oil Filters and HAMP

Did a little research on oil filters since it was time for a change and I needed to source a filter. Turns out Honda has (2) filters for our cars - 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02. The differences between the 2 are illustrated below (not my pictures, just pictures I found on google). The A01 is what dealers used to sell, which is superior to the A02. The A02 is made by fram and the A01 is made by Filtech which is a subsidiary of Toyo Roki (who makes the HAMP filters).

Also shown is the HAMP oil filter and the similarities between it and 15400-PLM-A01. There are also (2) filters HAMP sells, the 1540-PLC-505 (Made in Japan by Toyo Roki ) and the 1540-RTA-505 (Made in the USA by Filtech).

Cliff notes:

Honda OEM Filter - Part #15400-PLM-A01 - Made by Filtech/Toyo Roki, superior filter to the A02, replaced by the A02
    Honda OEM Filter - Part #15400-PLM-A02 - Made by Honeywell/Fram, sold at most dealers
    HAMP Filter - Part #H1540-RTA-505 - Made by Filtech/Toyo Roki in USA
    HAMP Filter - Part #H1540-PLC-505 - Made by Toyo Roki in Japan

I ended buying the OEM A01 filters since they are about 5 bucks a pop online compared to the 10 or 15 bucks for a HAMP filter.

Last edited by .colin; 10-12-2012 at 07:24 PM.

interesting. anyone know can honda get the a01s still?

I always get honda OEM filters because i like the seal on them. i find any of the aftermarket filters have a square seal that leaks where as the honda ones have a round seal that never leaks. But if im going to the dealer anyways, i'd much rather get the a01....not like it matters much, if at all. it just makes you feel better inside to use better parts. haha.

My mobile one oil filters never leaked at all. Wow those A01s look soo close to a hamp filter. One is blue and one is green. Nice to know. I might just start getting OEM filters.

FYI you can get the A01 filter on eBay as well as several online dealerships. Make sure to specifically ask for the A01, they will list the A01 but will sell the A02 instead.

Seems like A01 has better quality, still have couple A02 left and recently just ordered only one A01, will order more. Good info. Thank you.

Good to know. Fram filters are garbage. Ive used the oem filters a few time but have always heard good things about WIX so thats what Ive used for awhile now.

Good info to know!

Post up links to the best source to buy from!

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk

in my last 2 oil changes I've been using this filter Brand Union Japan, in my opinion looks good quality. It is made in Japan.

Do you think guys?
    Last edited by Yomimito; 03-27-2012 at 07:59 PM.

I got a bunch of A01s from handa-accessories.com

If I ever run out I'll have to look into HAMP

what about the Mugen filter??? lol
    http://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-355...il-filter.aspx

I'll stick the Purolator Pure1 filter. I use 2 per oil change, one with fresh oil then replace the filter by itself with a top off after 3k miles. Full oil change every 5k.

A clean engine is a happy engine regardless of how you keep it there.

My car has been swapped with a K20a1 or a2. I am getting ready to change the oil but I dont know what filter to get. Do all the K20's use the same filter?

I could be wrong, but I think the A2 and K24 variants use a different part #.

I swapped to an A2 within a couple of months of buying my EP and did a bunch of maintenance on my other cars at about the same time so a bunch of parts are jumbled in my mind into one giant 14 cylinder 56 valve turbcharged VTAC'in high compression engine with an exhaust note that sounds like Godzilla is very pissed and very hungry coming after me cause I ate the last cookie.

Or you can go with an S2K oil filter. I believe it helps bump the oil pressure a bit.

i have been using the hamp filter for years now and i cant complain. im pretty sure all the k's run same filter.

I've been using K&N filters for the past year and a half to two years and I can't complain. The model number is HP-1010 I believe and I like it because it has a 1" sized hold on the front that you can use a 1" rachet to get it off if it gets put on too tight. They are kinda pricey ($12-$15) but I really like them and have never had an issue. I use it with Royal Purple 5w-30 oil and a skunk2 magnetic drain bolt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information