Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I second (3rd or 4th) the OEM option.

I have the stock clutch and flywheel setup still at over 70k miles. I've been boosted and over 300whp for maybe 20k. Mine still feels like the day I got the car.

It has so much more to do with how you drive than anything else. I've seen people blow through stage 2 and 3 clutches at the strip just as easily as a stock setup.

Well I have never once dropped the clutch, EVER.. Even at the strip, I always just slightly let out of it til I feel the car move then I let it go. My clutch doesn't slip and I don't drive my car hard or anything, but I am rolling on 170k and I would SHOOT myself if I didn't put something new in there and have to drop the trans to do it after the new motor is in.

However, I don't know if it's my clutch or motor mounts or what, but when it rains and I first drive my car, it kinda shakes/shudders.. I don't know how to explain it. Feels almost like wheel hop with the way the car bounces?

Quote Originally Posted by iDom View Post
    Well I have never once dropped the clutch, EVER.. Even at the strip, I always just slightly let out of it til I feel the car move then I let it go. My clutch doesn't slip and I don't drive my car hard or anything, but I am rolling on 170k and I would SHOOT myself if I didn't put something new in there and have to drop the trans to do it after the new motor is in.

However, I don't know if it's my clutch or motor mounts or what, but when it rains and I first drive my car, it kinda shakes/shudders.. I don't know how to explain it. Feels almost like wheel hop with the way the car bounces?
    Yeah, I hear you. I'd probably do the same if I already had the tranny out.

My 242k mile eg does something very similar to what you're describing. When it's cold and I first drive it, the clutch shudders as I'm letting it out and hit the friction point. If I ride the clutch a little or wait until it warms up, it goes away. I don't know if it's because it's an old clutch and the springs or pressure plate are worn out or what. None of my other cars or anything else I have driven does that.

Quote Originally Posted by gtolio View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. I'd probably do the same if I already had the tranny out.

My 242k mile eg does something very similar to what you're describing. When it's cold and I first drive it, the clutch shudders as I'm letting it out and hit the friction point. If I ride the clutch a little or wait until it warms up, it goes away. I don't know if it's because it's an old clutch and the springs or pressure plate are worn out or what. None of my other cars or anything else I have driven does that.
    Yes that's exactly how it is. When it's wet or cold and I first drive it around, I'd say for a few miles or so, it does that. But it goes away until the car sits for a long period of time (hours)

So, I figure what the hell.. I'm just going to go with the 'light' flywheel, and not the 'ultralight'.. I don't know why it reving faster is bad for DD.. I mean, I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, but that's ok.. So will the extra TQ and Power :)

I think I can manage.. Unless it's a bad quality clutch, then that's what I'll probably go with. But for the most part, I don't hear bad things about CC and I know several people that have them and use them with no problem. Oh and the 75A Innovative MM's.

Yes that's exactly how it is. When it's wet or cold and I first drive it around, I'd say for a few miles or so, it does that. But it goes away until the car sits for a long period of time (hours)

So, I figure what the hell.. I'm just going to go with the 'light' flywheel, and not the 'ultralight'.. I don't know why it reving faster is bad for DD.. I mean, I'm sure it'll take some getting used to, but that's ok.. So will the extra TQ and Power :)

I think I can manage.. Unless it's a bad quality clutch, then that's what I'll probably go with. But for the most part, I don't hear bad things about CC and I know several people that have them and use them with no problem. Oh and the 75A Innovative MM's.
    Let me know when you take it apart what you find. I'd be curious to find out what is wrong with it so I know what it might be on mine.

Will do. It's not going to be for a while though. It's about 20 degrees here and I don't have access to a heated garage so it won't be until about March/April/May that it all ends up happening.. I have the money for the Mounts and Clutch, but still shopping around for the Engine. I didn't feel a need to tie up money on the Clutch and Mounts since those can be bought any day without having to worry about waiting around for them.. Biggest concern is the Header/Exhaust/Swaybar clearance at this point..

:/

Revving quick is annoing when trying to get started in 1st or when downshifting, IMO. The throttle is just real touchy when the clutch pedal is pushed in. Harder to rev match or prevent over-revving from a stop. Maybe just takes some getting used to.

Maybe your clutch is getting wet from water splashing off the road? I was surprised that the clutch area isn't really sealed from below, there's just a small sheetmetal guard. When it's cold I'd imagine that the friction material is less "sticky" so it's more likely to slip.

Will do. It's not going to be for a while though. It's about 20 degrees here and I don't have access to a heated garage so it won't be until about March/April/May that it all ends up happening.. I have the money for the Mounts and Clutch, but still shopping around for the Engine. I didn't feel a need to tie up money on the Clutch and Mounts since those can be bought any day without having to worry about waiting around for them.. Biggest concern is the Header/Exhaust/Swaybar clearance at this point..

:/
    Should come take a look a my setup before I tear it down for the turbo build!

Quote Originally Posted by RhINoX^ View Post
    ^ Why to stay away from exedy ?
    because they make the OEM ep clutch. which a lot of people break through hub failure (much sooner than the clutch life would have lasted) i think im about to hit my second hub failure after 20k of boosted k24 on a brand new type s oem clutch. I don't blame it, but i've really been easy on it. i've yet to drop the clutch at all. right now it drives fine but i've already pulled out a couple pieces of metal i heard bouncing around in my clutch housing. just a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaney View Post
    I've got a CC stg2 with typeS fly on my setup. I've heard the lightweight flys rev pretty quick so I wanted to stay away from them for a DD build.
    I DD mine. it's not bad, i don't notice it from stock during DD stop and go. it's def sensitive if your heel-toeing your way back down through the gears. a lot LESS effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtolio View Post
    I second (3rd or 4th) the OEM option.

I have the stock clutch and flywheel setup still at over 70k miles. I've been boosted and over 300whp for maybe 20k. Mine still feels like the day I got the car.

It has so much more to do with how you drive than anything else. I've seen people blow through stage 2 and 3 clutches at the strip just as easily as a stock setup.
    this. mine doesn't slip at all, believe it or not. most of us got good clutches from daiken. the rest, not so lucky.

you should def replace it, god knows how many miles it actually has. im not saying to NOT get an oem clutch, just not from daiken/exedy, else try your luck at a reliable hub.

i think it has to do with the pressure plate or warped surfaces. my ranger had this same problem untill it too, suffered from a hub failure driving down a mountain. (just my luck) had a burnt up flywheel and pressure plate. 115k on it.

also, if my friends asked me about which flywheel to pick, i wouldn't hesitate to tell them to get a prolite (8.8lbs). the only "adverse" effects is it might kill the motor if ac compressor is on after a fresh ecu start (erased through power loss) - otherwise, it feels normal to me. my noob driver wife can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by AKEP; 01-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.

I appreciate all the input guys, but yes I definitely am going to pick up those motor mounts and that CC Stage 2 clutch combo for an RSX-S when I get my tax return money.

AttarixEp- That doesn't half bad. It will be a while for me though before I put everything in, I need some warmth haha. Perhaps sometime in middle spring.

I appreciate all the input guys, but yes I definitely am going to pick up those motor mounts and that CC Stage 2 clutch combo for an RSX-S when I get my tax return money.

AttarixEp- That doesn't half bad. It will be a while for me though before I put everything in, I need some warmth haha. Perhaps sometime in middle spring.
    When my JRSC sells I will be pulling the motor so I can get the head shipped to SM for machining!

Quote Originally Posted by AttarixEp View Post
    When my JRSC sells I will be pulling the motor so I can get the head shipped to SM for machining!
    Yea that's who is going to be tuning my car for me once I get everything done. Looking forward to it for sure.

Yea that's who is going to be tuning my car for me once I get everything done. Looking forward to it for sure.
    Awesome! Can't wait to see it start coming together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information