Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steering Wheel Emblem Installation ?

Guys, bought one of those red JDM badges, and NOT THINKING, removed the OEM steering wheel emblem....sort of had to, once I pried one corner, realized it was metal I had to finish since it looked like crap. The red JDM emblem won't work, too small.

Bought a replacement black OEM style emblem to put back on.

Has anyone ever put one on? There's metal tabs, and I'm wondering if I just push it in place and that's that, or does the cover need to be pulled off and the tabs bent from the inside.

Can you even remove the cover? Hesitant to "f" with an airbag.....

Thanks!
    N

you can remove the airbag, one torx screw on each side in the back of the wheel. I never knew you were even able to take off that H. You realize the JDM badges are for the outside of the car not the steering wheel? Corsport sells a red sticker overlay that goes over the H on the wheel

Ive never heard of someone doing this, most just buy the sticker.

yeah, I thought the steering wheel emblem was just double sided taped on, it's actually metal, and held in with tabs....

Not sure if removing the airbag will be my choice. Taking it off is easy, but how to get the frontcover separated from the guts of the bag?

Looking at the wheel, it appears that the tabs will be forced to splay outwards if I gently push the piece in. It was a beyatch to get it out!

Here's what I bought

Here's the wheel now

Here's the JDM emblem...smaller, plastic...

macro photo really shows my fingerprint!

word to the wise? buy the sticker which fits over the OEM one!

Quote Originally Posted by NateCox View Post
    word to the wise? buy the sticker which fits over the OEM one!
    well yea lol, I think your the only one in the history of the site to take an emblem for the outside of the car, pry the stock steering wheel emblem off and try to put that on

Once you have the air bag off, you need to take the ignitor out also since that sits right behind the emblem. Even after that is out I'm not sure you will be able to see the back of the emblem. You might have to disassemble the guts of the airbag including all the brackets

So the JDM emblem for sale on ebay is smaller? Can you just stick it on the OEM one? I was planning to buy that. I'm currently have the sticker on, but just want make it look more legit.

you can't stick it on the oem emblem because it is an emblem itself

if you put the sticker on right, you will not be able to tell the difference between an actual emblem and a sticker

it was listed in eBay as a steering wheel emblem, NOT an exterior emblem.
    Not taking the airbag off, don't feel like holding a BOMB in my hand. And you're right, I don't think there's really any way to get to the back now.

Planning to gently pushing the new emblem back into the open spots for the tabs. I think they'll just pop in, or either trimming the tabs off, and adhering it with double sided tape. The bag cover I think is designed to split around the emblem, or the whole assembly just pops up...either way, I think it'll not hit me at 200 mph if the bag goes off.

And to be sure I double checked the ruined part, got all the metal and tabs out, there's no piece of metal in there now, loose waiting to be expelled should the bag go off.

I'll post pics when the new part arrives, bought it today, so I'm hoping by Friday to have it.

eBay

And I got a message from eBay a day after the part came in, saying they were delisting that from eBay...not sure why, but the emblem is smaller than the steering wheel emblem, same shape, but 95% the size.
    Last edited by Holeshot; 03-04-2009 at 12:53 AM.

The thing is it looks like the rear jdm h, do you have a shot of the back of it?

the back of the red one? It's just flat plastic with a sticky tape on the other side...very clearly (NOW THINKING OF IT) for an exterior use. I just thought the OEM H was a flast plastic piece too... but it's metal, and tabbedd into the steering wheel cover.

New part should arrive this week, until then, it's all black!

Ya now im very sure that red H is for the rear next time you go to your car check to see the size compaired to your rear stock rear H. If so now you only need the front red H haha.

sell me that red emblem with the huge fingerprint lmk 19140

put some double sided tape on the old one and push in the tabs it should click right in my man

fixed...I can post now
    Last edited by NateCox; 12-21-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I had the "parse" option checked in posts...that screws up posting!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information