Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by StockTexasEP3 View Post
    Yea the tabs are quite hard to get out, but I have them mostly burned out. The difficult bushings so far have been the ones on the brake assembly. Those you need a threaded rod but I'm not 100% sure what to do for that. I used a Clamp which got the out a bit, but not all the way.
    http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sion/17359.pdf

Essentially, you clamp it in a vice, Threaded rod through the bushings, and the nuts on the inside, Washers big enough on the other side, and as you turn it pushes them out. But Like I said, I haven't done it, and I'm not convinced it's 1 2 3.

Burn the bushings out sure, just don't heat the arm up too much. You don't want to weaken it. :) Then again, the bushings should burn out a lot quicker than steel. :)

I've heard someone use a small drill but and chew up the bushings before trying to take them out. But he's on a different website...

ephatch member
    Well the first one I burned to fuck where there was no bushing left, but still wouldn't come out even with two big dudes putting on wrenches and breaker bars and twisting the fuck out of it. So, I tied ropes to both ends and hooked them up between my brother and dads car and drove opposite directions... LoL. Finally, it snappe in two. But its designed where there's the tab on one side, connected to the bar that goes all the way through which is then oppoxied or welded on to just the lid of the other tab. So it's not like they meet in the middle. I just don't know if I need to epoxy the two tabs together before I put the bushing on. Energy Suspension's directions are criminally bad especially considering how hard of an install it is. I got the two bushings on the brake hub out using something a guy on a bimmer forum was using. A balljoint press. It was the perfect tool for th job to press them 50% out then a pipe and hammer got the rest out. I think I'm just gonna burn the fuck out of the other arm like I did the first.

Wow that's rough. From what you're saying, I may even take mine to a shop, it just sounds too hard.

ephatch member
    It's not hard per se. Just time consuming and there are barely any good write ups out there.

ephatch member
    So I broke the trailing arm pin ... any ideas on what to do. It looks like it could be welded back together but idk if thats the best idea. Also hardrace sells new trailing arm bushings with the pin installed but I don't know if its still even a running company. Idears?

I bought an extra set of trailing arms to swap the front bushings out on. I now have a set of es1 arms that are basically unsellable due to not having sway bar mounts. If you need another pin I might be able to help.

I threw my arms on the bbq to get rid of the rubber. I screwed one side of the pin into the vice an used a large crescent wrench on the other and twisted while applying heat to the center collar while avoiding heating the ends. Seemed to help out a bit. Neither of the pins broke.

ephatch member
    Yea thats clearly the way to do it. I tied ropes around both ends of the pin and hooked it up to two cars and drove opposite directions... Yea no the smartest idea. And I didn't realize for a while that the pins were supposed to disconnect in the middle. It really sucks. I'm actually looking at HardRace rear trailing arm bushings because they have pins already in them but it seems impossible to get in touch with anyone in that company. Do you have the pins out of the trailing arms? I'd totally buy them from you for a reasonable price.

I think those pins are for the upper arms

I don't know where you'd find the ones for the trailing arm...without buying a new trailing arm.

The pins aren't out but I'd be willing to get them out.

ephatch member
    I got hard race bushings for the rear trailing arm that includes new pins.

I got hard race bushings for the rear trailing arm that includes new pins.
    Really...Really? Oh...I mean...yeah of course they come with them.

Glad to hear you got them.

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1d View Post
    Really...Really? Oh...I mean...yeah of course they come with them.

Glad to hear you got them.
    I don't get it... These are the only bushing on the market with the pin in them and were expensive too.

I don't get it... These are the only bushing on the market with the pin in them and were expensive too.
    How much did it cost from the "only game in town?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information