Close

Question k20a3 w/ type r Cams? Go or no go?

While at my mechanic replacing the alternator, his friend who blew his motor was selling type r cams for the k20. I have a stock k20a3 with injen mega ram intake. Will this install require anything more than the cams? If so what? And is this safe to run? I have looked around on this forum and h-tech but found no direct clean cut answer. Mechanic says i can just drop them in, but not every source is saying the same. Also price is 175 for type r cams (obv. used) good or no good?

I am fairly certain they are not just a drop in replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
    I am fairly certain they are not just a drop in replacement.
    So springs retainers etc needed? Some one shut me up with the truth please.

it can be done but its not worth it in the a3. also you would need to have kpro and possibly a tune. for the money you would spend you might as well save and swap. or do what some ppl on this site and do the vtec killer and lock it out. but i kno you would need a tune to see any gains. and thats a pretty sweet price on those cams

Quote Originally Posted by o2ep3 View Post
    it can be done but its not worth it in the a3. also you would need to have kpro and possibly a tune. for the money you would spend you might as well save and swap. or do what some ppl on this site and do the vtec killer and lock it out. but i kno you would need a tune to see any gains. and thats a pretty sweet price on those cams
    Thanks, I may just pick them up and hold on to them while I save for K PRO :). This "vtec killer" thing is new to me. Heard it a few times on here but havent looked into the specifics. ill do some research and see what all the fuss is about and how to go about it.
    Last edited by TakeNotes; 01-15-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typos

You can use them but you have to do the VTEC killer as mentioned or reverse the pins in a traditional 3 lobe VTEC rocker assembly. Click on my sig below and read (there are pics too). If you want even more info you can hit k20a.org and find it there. I dont spend to much time on HT to know if there is any reliable info over there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    You can use them but you have to do the VTEC killer as mentioned or reverse the pins in a traditional 3 lobe VTEC rocker assembly. Click on my sig below and read (there are pics too). If you want even more info you can hit k20a.org and find it there. I dont spend to much time on HT to know if there is any reliable info over there...
    I saw the reversing of the pins last night on a search here. Is anything else required besides changing the first and middle pins? Thanks. Because for the price im getting them for, Id do it till I get kpro to get some power out of it

i'd serisouly wait to put them in until kpro at the least. the pin thing works i guess but its just funny. see if you can pull an a2 head or at least rocker assembly from a junkyard.

Whats funny about flipping the pins in the 3 lobe rockers? They actuate the same as VTEC in a normal 3 lobe head. Youre just altering what valves do what because of the lack of the lost motion spring assembly...

And you need KPro... or some sort of legitmate tuning source.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Whats funny about flipping the pins in the 3 lobe rockers? They actuate the same as VTEC in a normal 3 lobe head. Youre just altering what valves do what because of the lack of the lost motion spring assembly...

And you need KPro... or some sort of legitmate tuning source.
    Thanks. I will pick these cams up and set them aside while im saving for kpro. Thanks everyone.

glad to hear your picking those up i would def wait till you got kpro. it would be the only way to make power off that setup and have it run properly.

Thread Information