Close

K20z3 oil pan question and not about the mount

Ive been having my z3 swap for a while and I've cracked 2 oil pans since it cracks easier than the ep oil pans. Has anyone else had this problem?? Im all the way lowerd on 17s and don't plan on raising the car because I like the way it looks. The z3 oil pan sits a little lower than a3 oil pans it actually lools like its the lowest point of my whole car and that's not good thanks for any help

Dumb questions is dumb... Slam car then bitch about cracked oil pan?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device

Slammed on tien basics isn't even that low, my actual car isnt lOw just my oil pan.

Swap to a stamped steel k24a1 or k20a3 oil pan (same pan). There is plenty of clearance in the pan for the pump and you wont have to worry as much about the cracked aluminum pan. You will need shorter bolts and the two bolts that lock the pan to the trans will no longer be needed...

Just get some bigger bumpers and side skirts and you can drop it to the ground without worrying about the oil pan.

Thanks ba82 ill try to pik up one of those pans.

Blah maybe ill put a huge molded body kit that actually glides on the floor and won't need to drive my car at all :)

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    Last edited by montrealcityboy; 03-10-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k20z3ep!!! View Post
    Thanks ba82 ill try to pik up one of those pans.
    No worries. Theres a sticky thread on k20a.org that has a cutaway comparison of the stamped steel pan and the cast pan (k20a2... similar to k20z3). It shows there is plenty of oil pump pickup room, and while the stamped pan isnt pretty... nor is it fun to remove... it is cheaper to replace in case of an accident, and it does offer more clearance.

If you have a k20a2 pan I can trade you aluminum for steel!

I have both k20a2 and k20a3 pans but their in storage in a differant state -___-

Quote Originally Posted by k20z3ep!!! View Post
    I have both k20a2 and k20a3 pans but their in storage in a differant state -___-
    30 shipped for the k20a2 oil pan :))

I'm not anywhere near the pan and don't know when I will b sorry

This is a good thread for reference to the z3 oil pan. My pan is practically sitting on the subframe and I've been wondering if this is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by typeflex View Post
    This is a good thread for reference to the z3 oil pan. My pan is practically sitting on the subframe and I've been wondering if this is normal.
    100% Fine.

The subframe has a rubber stop on the lip that "looks" like is touching the bottom of the oil pan where you're concerned. It's there to absorb any shocks/vibrations from engine movement. You're fine.

I have the K20Z3 shortblock from pan to pistons. No issues here. It's a deep pan, considering it's housing the best OEM K series pump you can get without going ERL S2K pump..

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    100% Fine.

The subframe has a rubber stop on the lip that "looks" like is touching the bottom of the oil pan where you're concerned. It's there to absorb any shocks/vibrations from engine movement. You're fine.

I have the K20Z3 shortblock from pan to pistons. No issues here. It's a deep pan, considering it's housing the best OEM K series pump you can get without going ERL S2K pump..
    I really appreciate the follow up comment. I was going crazy searching and searching for a thread with this infor because I didn't want to start a thread when there were already alot of k20z3 threads.

Truth be told, I haven't checked that lip on the subframe to see if mine still has the rubber lip intact. I hope so because I'm going to regret not putting on the steel pan before putting in the z3.

Thread Information