Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    thanks for all of the input gents!
    Last edited by Unknownally; 03-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.

my turbo is way louder than my n/a k20a2 was even with the open headers... but i run 3" straight and an atmosopheric dump...

i think i saw a video of an ep with open downpipe from the turbo, sounded like a mini cooper a little

You need to look into how many bends and resonators and the quality of the metal being used with the exhaust.

Mild steel when compared to stainless steel exhaust have a more "tingy-ness" sound to them because the different metals resonate at different frequencies as the exhaust gasses pass through the pipes and heat the pipes up.

There's a TON of information and variables when it comes to exhaust sound. I did some reading awhile back on how higher end companies such as Porche, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc put a lot of R&D into their pipes to make them sound a specific way.

Performance on the other hand is literally how straight and unrestrictive you can make the gasses escape..this is why you really are paying for the sound when it comes down to the price of exhaust piping.

If you have to ask, and are worried about it, you probably shouldn't go turbo. You should go stock Prius. I hear (pun intended) they are very quiet. The horrible truth is......... 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell its not an ep3.

* chuckle *

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    If you have to ask, and are worried about it, you probably shouldn't go turbo. You should go stock Prius. I hear (pun intended) they are very quiet. The horrible truth is......... 90% of people wouldn't be able to tell its not an ep3.

* chuckle *
    this guy

It's the truth. Tell me you haven't looked in the rear view, got all excited and it ended up being a Prius, or a Focus hatch. I know what the the fuck I'm talking about. Guys that own ep3's know what they are. No one else does, lol. Mods, sorry for cursing. It's the only way I know how to communicate.

It's the truth. Tell me you haven't looked in the rear view, got all excited and it ended up being a Prius, or a Focus hatch. I know what the the fuck I'm talking about. Guys that own ep3's know what they are. No one else does, lol. Mods, sorry for cursing. It's the only way I know how to communicate.
    Ford Five Hundred headlights look surprisingly like an EP3 at night.

* chuckle *
    Honestly, I am worried about it, and given the information that has been posted in this thread I'd like to know why you feel I shouldn't go turbo? My car had DC racing headers on it and a 3inch exhaust before and I hated how loud it was. Given the info in this thread, if I do a 2.5" exhaust setup with a good dumptube I should be much quieter than that setup.

The ep is my daily driver and I'm a young guy. I don't want to be looked at like a 16 year old ricer, even if my car would be capable of smoking 80% of cars on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    You need to look into how many bends and resonators and the quality of the metal being used with the exhaust.

Mild steel when compared to stainless steel exhaust have a more "tingy-ness" sound to them because the different metals resonate at different frequencies as the exhaust gasses pass through the pipes and heat the pipes up.

There's a TON of information and variables when it comes to exhaust sound. I did some reading awhile back on how higher end companies such as Porche, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc put a lot of R&D into their pipes to make them sound a specific way.

Performance on the other hand is literally how straight and unrestrictive you can make the gasses escape..this is why you really are paying for the sound when it comes down to the price of exhaust piping.
    Great info. Thanks!

if you want to be quiet, get something like the greddy se. i have that installed with the revhard kit and a test pipe. exhaust is very quiet until you floor it and hit boost, then all you hear is the external dump

Quote Originally Posted by pdubski View Post
    Honestly, I am worried about it, and given the information that has been posted in this thread I'd like to know why you feel I shouldn't go turbo? My car had DC racing headers on it and a 3inch exhaust before and I hated how loud it was. Given the info in this thread, if I do a 2.5" exhaust setup with a good dumptube I should be much quieter than that setup.

The ep is my daily driver and I'm a young guy. I don't want to be looked at like a 16 year old ricer, even if my car would be capable of smoking 80% of cars on the road.
    With turbo, it will be much quieter than your current setup. I remember when I took my turbo out and left the exhaust on, it was horribly loud (and slow). I see this thread is super old but thought I would tell you my input anyhow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information