Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Serpentine Belt/Idler Pulleys

What's up guys,

My ep is getting near the 100k mile mark and I wanted to change the serpentine belt. I've read on other threads that changing the 2 idler pulleys is also a good idea as with time they can start to make whining noises.

Based on diagram, are we talking about parts #4 and #7?

S5S4E0600.jpg

7 is correct, 4 though is just the pulley for the auto tensioner. When the auto tensioner goes bad or makes noise, it is usually because the tensioner spring gets weak. I would suggest 2, which is the whole tensioner and pulley.

yeah, get a new idler pulley. that bitch is about to go out.

Cool. Thanks for the help.

Mine is doing this same thing, and I am planning a swap here in the next month. The engine I'm getting doesn't come with the alternator/pulley's, so I was going to use mine. So just getting #2 on the parts list will be everything I need?

Quote Originally Posted by iDom View Post
    Mine is doing this same thing, and I am planning a swap here in the next month. The engine I'm getting doesn't come with the alternator/pulley's, so I was going to use mine. So just getting #2 on the parts list will be everything I need?
    #2 looks like it covers the whole tensioner assembly so I would day you're safe.

Within a two day period my idle pulley went bad the washer/bearing bent up and it was making a horrible sound. That night I drove slow home and about 4 miles from a family members house the noise went away but to find out the belt snapped especially since the battery light came on since the alternator quit spinning and the temp gauge shot up since the water pump had no rotation. I ordered a new idle pulley and hardware and a new auto tension system. Since they were the originals and my EP has 193k on it. I'm replacing all that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 02_epdriver View Post
    Within a two day period my idle pulley went bad the washer/bearing bent up and it was making a horrible sound. That night I drove slow home and about 4 miles from a family members house the noise went away but to find out the belt snapped especially since the battery light came on since the alternator quit spinning and the temp gauge shot up since the water pump had no rotation. I ordered a new idle pulley and hardware and a new auto tension system. Since they were the originals and my EP has 193k on it. I'm replacing all that tomorrow.
    Did.it sound like this

~§kareKrow
    »»{":;,,,;:"}«« using HTC Evo 4G!

^ That's what mine sounds like.. Not that bad though, only around cold idle RPM's (1,500ish) and when I slip the clutch from a stop and start accelerating. I am going to replace mine as well.

Oh yea, I have 170k on mine.. So, I can't say i'm very surprised.

^ That's what mine sounds like.. Not that bad though, only around cold idle RPM's (1,500ish) and when I slip the clutch from a stop and start accelerating. I am going to replace mine as well.

Oh yea, I have 170k on mine.. So, I can't say i'm very surprised.
    lol. Im at my 2nd one at almost 170k :-D

~§kareKrow

Quote Originally Posted by SkareKrow View Post
    Did.it sound like this

~§kareKrow
    Yes, similar almost sounded like a group of people smashing pop cans. It was worse in the lower rpms. I had to order my belt today but otherwise I got all the new auto tensioner and new idle pulley and bracket installed. I wish I would have taken pics. The idle pulley was so bad it crumbled right of the bracket. Plus the bracket was chewed up pretty good. My idle has been whack for awhile. I bet this will cure the problem as well because I have pretty much done everything else possible to fix any idle problems and that didnt work

Yes, similar almost sounded like a group of people smashing pop cans. It was worse in the lower rpms. I had to order my belt today but otherwise I got all the new auto tensioner and new idle pulley and bracket installed. I wish I would have taken pics. The idle pulley was so bad it crumbled right of the bracket. Plus the bracket was chewed up pretty good. My idle has been whack for awhile. I bet this will cure the problem as well because I have pretty much done everything else possible to fix any idle problems and that didnt work
    I always thought it almost sounded like a table saw.. That's how I described it, and that's about exactly what it sounds like in that video.

Let us know what happens after you replace it!

I always thought it almost sounded like a table saw.. That's how I described it, and that's about exactly what it sounds like in that video.

Let us know what happens after you replace it!
    I should have the belt tomorrowand be able to put it in by tomorrow or the next day or so.

I should have the belt tomorrowand be able to put it in by tomorrow or the next day or so.
    Im going to be doing it soon also

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Even with the changes, the belt itself is not the best or quietest belt. I changed tensioner and pulley and installed a new belt, still have occasional noise. I wish I could find a gatorback equivalent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information