Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best tire spec. for 17 rims.

First of all I used search box and couldn`t find any strong opinion. I just bought XXR 527 17x8.25 +25 offset for rear and 17x8.25 +35 offset for front. I just want to know what is the best tire spec. I have Eibach Sportline springs with 1.5 drop. I know some guy has 215/40/17 for these wheels. I just need your opinions, does anyone have these rims on ep3 ?

Most people running 17" wheels run 215/45/17, but with wheels that wide I would probably go with a wider tire than a 215. 235/40/17 would be a good fit, and still keeps you very close to OEM overall diameter.
    Last edited by Unknownally; 03-13-2009 at 08:42 AM.

Last edited by egul44; 02-19-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Don`t you think 235 is too wide for front because I believe front
    doesnt have much that space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Moments View Post
    Most people running 17" wheels run 215/45/17, but with wheels that wide I would probably go with a wider tire than a 215. 235/40/17 would be a good fit, and still keeps you very close to OEM overall diameter.
    Last edited by egul44; 02-19-2012 at 12:41 PM.

With a more reserved offset, 235 would be ideal. I'd say get some 215 45 if you're not looking for any kind of stretched look, 225/40 if you want width. I'm only estimating, you'd need to do some concrete measuring to really know if it will fit. You'll probably need a slight roll though with whatever you end up doing.

It will be close, but I think it will work. I run that size on my car as a track tire, but did have to roll my fenders some. My wheels are 17 X 7.5" +35 so not the same as yours.

I want a little stretched look. But I am little nervous about it. People say stretched tires blow up easily. I drive my car daily, So If stretched tires are good as normal tires. I will probably go with little stretched but not too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    With a more reserved offset, 235 would be ideal. I'd say get some 215 45 if you're not looking for any kind of stretched look, 225/40 if you want width. I'm only estimating, you'd need to do some concrete measuring to really know if it will fit. You'll probably need a slight roll though with whatever you end up doing.

215/40 would be the best for what you're looking for then, or 205/45 for taller sidewall.

Does anybody use stretched tires as a daily drive. Do they really blow up easily. Here in PA we have so many potholes. What is your opinions guys ?

Quote Originally Posted by egul44 View Post
    Does anybody use stretched tires as a daily drive. Do they really blow up easily. Here in PA we have so many potholes. What is your opinions guys ?
    Plan your daily routes, drive carefully and MOST of the time you won't ever have a problem. 205/45 and 215/40 won't be any extreme stretch, just keep your tire pressure checked and avoid potholes. People blow tires even on stock rims.

I will probably go with 215/40 but 40 is make me think it will look little small. I dont want huge space between tire and fender. Does anybody have picture of ep3 with 17`s in 40 and 17`s 45.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    Plan your daily routes, drive carefully and MOST of the time you won't ever have a problem. 205/45 and 215/40 won't be any extreme stretch, just keep your tire pressure checked and avoid potholes. People blow tires even on stock rims.

Nikon D3100 Car Photoshoot by C. Campbell, on Flickr

Heres mine on a 17 with 7.5 wide wheel and the tires are 215/ 45 Im on buddy Club RSD's and am not sure how low I am. A 45 will absorb some of the road bumps better but a 40 is better racing/turning wise.

I know you pm'd me for a picture Ill get that for you tomorrow night after I get out of work...Hopefully my chief or LPO doesnt keep me after to swab the decks again smh. But with the 215/40 there really is very very minimal stretch. And keep in mind my car is not lowered yet its at stock ride height so I have a ton of wheel gap....some will go away the end of march beginning of april.

Thanks man No rush for pics. I know your car is stock ride. I am looking for little stretch that is why I wanted to see them wrapped with 215/40. I was planning to go with 215/45 but it may cause rubbing. Also can you take pictures from back so I can see how wide they look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powers View Post
    I know you pm'd me for a picture Ill get that for you tomorrow night after I get out of work...Hopefully my chief or LPO doesnt keep me after to swab the decks again smh. But with the 215/40 there really is very very minimal stretch. And keep in mind my car is not lowered yet its at stock ride height so I have a ton of wheel gap....some will go away the end of march beginning of april.

Quote Originally Posted by egul44 View Post
    First of all I used search box and couldn`t find any strong opinion. I just bought XXR 527 17x8.25 +25 offset for rear and 17x8.25 +35 offset for front. I just want to know what is the best tire spec. I have Eibach Sportline springs with 1.5 drop. I know some guy has 215/40/17 for these wheels. I just need your opinions, does anyone have these rims on ep3 ?
    You are asking for opinions, so here's mine.

Honestly I think the 'look' you are going for isn't going to be obtainable with those springs. Those springs offer a very conservative drop, so if you pair that, with some rubber band tires (215/40's or 205/40's) it will more than likely look, well....goofy.

When you start getting into such an aggressive size and offset, you almost need a set of coilovers, to help get everything dialed in (ride height/camber, etc) and have it look good. Otherwise you might end up with (and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, lol) a 4x4 with some 'mexi-poke'. And let us not forget with an offset of +35 and lower, you are going to need to start thinking about some fender modification, roll, pull, etc...

Just my .02. Good luck nonetheless and post some pics when you get everything on!
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information