Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    K20A is riddled with stock engine high hp builds. I have nothing against that. If you want quick power, the K delivers. Maybe it's be, working at an automotive shop with nothing but "no replacement for displacement" guys, maybe it's just seeing too many bolt on, quick power goal, half ass builds that bring the "ricer" world 2 steps back from respect (by this I'm talking universal muffler, ebay CAI, cheap shit, not bashing the bolt on 300whp guys as I was until recently one of them)

My theory is, once you cut a corner and realize you can get away with it for a while, the whole car ends up that way. I'm in the mindset that my ep is a PROJECT car that won't be ready this summer. May not be ready next summer. But the summer after, you better believe it will be out and about, pushing 650+whp burning all the corn this country can grow. And there will be a smile on my face the whole time because I know in my head that I didn't spare a dime, and I set out to build what I wanted the first time.

I don't care if your goal is 300hp. If you put everything you got into making that the best 300hp that can be built. Then you've earned respect. If you slap on parts from used old builds from 8 different forums, purely to have your car hit the 300hp mark to impress everyone by ASAP. I say, to each his own, congrats on your dyno sheet but the 4 ft of rubber vac hose zip tied to the trans mount and back around behind the headlight to your HKS BOV just says "I like the Pssssh"

Quote Originally Posted by AttarixEp View Post
    Pm sent.

That's how I feel. I think if I didn't care about pushing the limits, all those pics would be of turbo parts, and I would have a dyno printout posted already. But it's only a matter of time before I post a "WTF happened to my engine" thread.

Also I hate the feeling of, "wonder how hard I'm pushing this engine? I'm 40 miles from home, how much is a flat bed going to cost if it blows up right now?"
    It's not always the engine block that breaks....I'm testament to that.

I've researched it. The blocks are strong and almost always the rods will go first. I'm just a firm believer in building beyond your goal. It's still never 100% safe no matter what at that power range, but it's easier on the mind to have parts that can handle 800hp and only throw 600hp at them.

Even then, it's never for sure "safe," parts can fail no matter what the brand, material, etc. It's the risk you take.

nice, i feel ya. wish i had the dough to throw down on some rods and sleeves. its nice to know that your motor wont pop at random or in case of overboosting.

one day.

I got to a point where I can throw some cash here at this point. Then again in a couple months while I take care of the cheaper little projects of the build. Which is why it will take time. And I'm ok with time when the end result is nice.

build sounds good- im heading to see D-Rob for a re-tune next weeknd.

Quote Originally Posted by differentK View Post
    build sounds good- im heading to see D-Rob for a re-tune next weeknd.
    Thanks, you might see my block and parts there if he hasn't shipped it out to Benson by then! lol

Thanks, you might see my block and parts there if he hasn't shipped it out to Benson by then! lol
    good stuff- ill keep an eye out.
    Last edited by DRP967; 01-16-2010 at 06:20 PM.

I've researched it. The blocks are strong and almost always the rods will go first. I'm just a firm believer in building beyond your goal. It's still never 100% safe no matter what at that power range, but it's easier on the mind to have parts that can handle 800hp and only throw 600hp at them.

Even then, it's never for sure "safe," parts can fail no matter what the brand, material, etc. It's the risk you take.
    I wasn't knocking your decision. It's definitely a better idea to do it this way. I don't remember who's sig it was, but it said if can, can, if no can, no can. If you can and should, then you should. Good luck with build, can't wait to see the full build thread.

New part while I wait for the block and parts to get finished and shipped back

BluePrint Racing 40* VTC limiter. The $30 part that makes the $15,000 engine much safer.

K20A is riddled with stock engine high hp builds. I have nothing against that. If you want quick power, the K delivers. Maybe it's be, working at an automotive shop with nothing but "no replacement for displacement" guys, maybe it's just seeing too many bolt on, quick power goal, half ass builds that bring the "ricer" world 2 steps back from respect (by this I'm talking universal muffler, ebay CAI, cheap shit, not bashing the bolt on 300whp guys as I was until recently one of them)

My theory is, once you cut a corner and realize you can get away with it for a while, the whole car ends up that way. I'm in the mindset that my ep is a PROJECT car that won't be ready this summer. May not be ready next summer. But the summer after, you better believe it will be out and about, pushing 650+whp burning all the corn this country can grow. And there will be a smile on my face the whole time because I know in my head that I didn't spare a dime, and I set out to build what I wanted the first time.

I don't care if your goal is 300hp. If you put everything you got into making that the best 300hp that can be built. Then you've earned respect. If you slap on parts from used old builds from 8 different forums, purely to have your car hit the 300hp mark to impress everyone by ASAP. I say, to each his own, congrats on your dyno sheet but the 4 ft of rubber vac hose zip tied to the trans mount and back around behind the headlight to your HKS BOV just says "I like the Pssssh"
    very well said GL with the build

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle n Dimin View Post
    very well said GL with the build
    Thanks. Longblock will be assembled and completed this summer and ready for mock up to get ready for the turbo parts, and tube front end this winter.

Right now is the nickle and dime bs while I wait for my block to come back home!

Got in some new parts from Honda
    RBC manifold, and TSX head gasket. Going to start shaving and cleaning up the manifold tomorrow.

what turbo kit/ setup are you going to go with? Derek and IMW do awesome work- he did a great job with mine

Quote Originally Posted by differentK View Post
    what turbo kit/ setup are you going to go with? Derek and IMW do awesome work- he did a great job with mine
    Probably full race manifold for the warranty, and basically following that style set-up, with the vertical flow intercooler and such. Once the time comes, I will definitely be in contact with Derek about some custom work. We talked a little and both agreed full race turbo manifold for sure, but eveything else can be done identically or more fitting for how my front end will be set up for cheaper I'm sure. Turbo, I'm going with the Forced Performance HTA3586. Long block assy will be sent out to IMW this summer so I can get the tube front end mocked up and done this winter.
    Block should be back to me soon too. Derek shipped it out to Benson's the second week of march with about a 5 week turn around. I'm patiently waiting.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information