Close

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Current set-up is 17x8 +38 with 245/40 square.
    Camber at -3.5°F and -1.5°R
    Rolled rear quarters
    Front is still with liner
    Feel's AST DC5R custom-valved adjustable coil overs

The wheel specs are usually stamped on the back side of the wheels. Look for markings around the hub and on the spokes.
    You should see one stamping with the wheel size and witdh (ie 17x8) and the other stamp is the offset (ie 35 JJ) or something similar.

Got it, thanks. Looks like I have 17x7 j 43. Anybody notice a drop in mpg with the increased tire diameter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are more factors than just diameter. Rolling resistance and tire/wheel weight will also play into that calculation as well.
    Same diameter tire but wider would be heavier thus affecting the mass that needs to be rotated.

That offset with 215/45 and 5mm spacers would look really nice IMO. Might have to roll rear quarters though if you dont want to add any camber
    The HFP wheels are 17x7 +45 and left plenty of room so 5mm spacers should be nice.
    You can even go 225/45 but that will increase diameter slightly and be heavier which will affect MPGs a tiny bit

Quote Originally Posted by nhbpa3 View Post
    245 is massive. Whats your offset?
    Actually, I wouldn't even consider less that 225s for a performance oriented EP. 245s are close to perfect without lots of hp, however our wheel wells don't know this.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyMETHOD View Post

Current set-up is 17x8 +38 with 245/40 square.
    Camber at -3.5°F and -1.5°R
    Rolled rear quarters
    Front is still with liner
    Feel's AST DC5R custom-valved adjustable coil overs
    Looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbpa3 View Post
    Got it, thanks. Looks like I have 17x7 j 43. Anybody notice a drop in mpg with the increased tire diameter?

Yes, although there are other factors such as structure, compound, weight, diameter, etc. My RA1s give up 2-4 mpgs, 34 mpgs compared to 37, but I also drive more aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyMETHOD View Post
    That offset with 215/45 and 5mm spacers would look really nice IMO. Might have to roll rear quarters though if you dont want to add any camber
    The HFP wheels are 17x7 +45 and left plenty of room so 5mm spacers should be nice.
    You can even go 225/45 but that will increase diameter slightly and be heavier which will affect MPGs a tiny bit
    The new tires going on the 17x7's are 225/45/17 Dunlop ZII's. Ive heard that they run wider than average 225's with beefier shoulders. So I might check fitment and then add spacers for that extra beef if I can. I'm guessing the 5mm spacer wont require extended wheel studs?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't even consider less that 225s for a performance oriented EP. 245s are close to perfect without lots of hp, however our wheel wells don't know this.

Looks sweet!

Yes, although there are other factors such as structure, compound, weight, diameter, etc. My RA1s give up 2-4 mpgs, 34 mpgs compared to 37, but I also drive more aggressively.
    Are you still using the a3 motor or did you swap? Those are pretty decent mpg numbers. I think my best was 360 mi on a tank with summer blend gas. Which I believe is ~ <30 mpg.... And that was on 215/45/17's (shitty General brand summer tires)

Still the A3 with Reflash. 34 mpg is with 30/32 psi and RA1s don't roll well, anyway (they are slower than other track tires on the straights by as much as 4-5 mph!) I've always gotten higher than average mpg and once did 42.5 on one tank when really trying and 60-70 psi and all stock. I don't launch hard and hardly use the brakes in corners, preferring to coast in and accelerate in the corners. Not something I'd recommend but lots of fun and easier on the motor, tranny, axles, brakes, etc. And only if by myself - it would scare the crap out of a passenger.

Is that the intake re flash for like 5-10 hp?Hold your speed in corners, can't agree more. There's a website called Eco modder; people get crazy about efficiency from proper driving to throttle de-dent springs to hideous but effective aero mods. There's a guy pulling 90 mpg with an eg hatch using aero, engine off coasting and a throttle spring. Not to go all vegan in a thread about beef, but efficiency is appealing. I'll take grip over a few mpg tho.

Last edited by talonXracer; 05-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Yeah, I'm a member there. It's very interesting, especially the aero stuff. I've been playing with some street legal single seater layouts in the 800+ lb. range. 100 hp, mid engine, 10 lbs/hp, 42-45" height, 50-55" wide, 80-85" wheelbase, fairly softly sprung with 4" travel, skinny tires but handles great, terrific mpgs and very quick. A cross between a 30s racer, formula 600, and a Lotus Seven.

Sorry to thread jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Yeah, I'm a member there. It's very interesting, especially the aero stuff. I've been playing with some street legal single seater layouts in the 800+ lb. range. 100 hp, mid engine, 10 lbs/hp, 42-45" height, 50-55" wide, 80-85" wheelbase, fairly softly sprung with 4" travel, skinny tires but handles great, terrific mpgs and very quick. A cross between a 30s racer, formula 600, and a Lotus Seven.

Sorry to thread jack.
    Playing with? Like you have a couple laying around?! lol. I wonder if the CTR wing has any mpg advantages, since it's similar to a "kammback" shape.

Back to tires, I'd like to try and compare the 225's to the 185 blizzaks I have on stock wheels right now and see the variance in mpg. Obviously a lot of variables to be considered. But just straight up look at how much + or - results. It's negative one million degrees right now though, so I'll painfully wait for summer tire weather.

Bump for some updates wheel/tire packages.

Sadly emphasis has been on getting ready for my first year back to school since HS in 2007 and my audio install I've been updating on in Facebook.

Someone local posted some fresh powder coated evo VIII 17X8 for 450 but I don't have the cash for the tires... Just got new 205/55 Indy's for my stockies.

I'm still torn if I want the easy to clean evos or Konig Ultraform 7 spokers which are only 16-17 lbs... Either way, whatever I get will be 245/40 or 235/45. Just a matter of upgrading my income to the level of my project dreams haha

Currently running SSR MS3R's 4x100 17x8 +36 with 235/45 17 Yokohama S-Drives.
    Rears are rolled, fronts are fine.
    i will be downsizing maybe to a 225/40 as i want the car to sit a bit lower and to avoid rubbing as much as i do currently on my S**T roads.

will add a few more pictures to show clearances when i have time to take them.

***WILL BE SELLING SSR'S WHEN I MOVE TO 5 LUG SOMETIME NEXT SEASON***

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread Information