Close

Strut/spring combo vs coilovers

So I need to redo my suspension cause my stock suspension is starting to get bad and I also would like to upgrade and lower it too haha. But I was pricing some set ups out there and the koni yellow/spring or koni yellow/ ground control set up was the same price as some progress coilovers so I'm asking which one would be the bed quality since they are going to be about the same price?

If I get struts I'll probably go with the koni yellows and either lowering springs or the GC sleeves. This brings me to my next question: would it be that much more beneficial to get the GC sleeves instead of just springs since I can adjust the ride hight with the knob on the konis? Or am I just way off on this? I want a good quality and long lasting set up that has a fairly and decent ride for a 2 inch or so drop but without paying for a koni red set up haha. The drop is more for look than performance, but thanks for the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper27 View Post
    So I need to redo my suspension cause my stock suspension is starting to get bad and I also would like to upgrade and lower it too haha. But I was pricing some set ups out there and the koni yellow/spring or koni yellow/ ground control set up was the same price as some progress coilovers so I'm asking which one would be the bed quality since they are going to be about the same price?

If I get struts I'll probably go with the koni yellows and either lowering springs or the GC sleeves. This brings me to my next question: would it be that much more beneficial to get the GC sleeves instead of just springs since I can adjust the ride hight with the knob on the konis? Or am I just way off on this? I want a good quality and long lasting set up that has a fairly and decent ride for a 2 inch or so drop but without paying for a koni red set up haha. The drop is more for look than performance, but thanks for the help guys.

I'm not going to input too much on this, but I did want to clear something up
    Turning the knob on the koni's do not adjust height, AT ALL.
    It adjust the dampening.
    The height adjustment would come from the Ground Control sleeves.
    And you have to physically jack the car up, and turn the spring perch to adjust height.

I'm on Koni yellows with Ground Controls.
    I like them.
    If you buy it all new, I believe they carry a limited life-time warranty.
    I know the Ground Control's do. I'd check on Koni's if they have one.
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

Ok, I see now. I was a little confused about that. But u guess I'm still wondering what would be better? The koni yellow and GC sleeves or full coilovers? I mean the price it really the same so is there a difference in performance or is it just a preference thing? Thanks for the input guys, if you've ran both let me know your experiences. I'm dropping around a grand on something I want it to be right the first time haha

Someone else will have to chime in here as I don't lower for looks but I don't think Koni Yellows can be lowered as much as other coilovers. 2" might be a reach. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper27 View Post
    Ok, I see now. I was a little confused about that. But u guess I'm still wondering what would be better? The koni yellow and GC sleeves or full coilovers? I mean the price it really the same so is there a difference in performance or is it just a preference thing? Thanks for the input guys, if you've ran both let me know your experiences. I'm dropping around a grand on something I want it to be right the first time haha

This is a very very debated subject.
    here's the not personal stuff: I've read many many many times again than Koni's strut/shock performance, out does almost every other company.
    Other than Biltstein that I can name off specifically.
    But time and time again I'm told by reputable shop tech, race teams, etc. that Koni has superior dampening performance over your budget coilover's ($800-1500)

Ground Control/Eibach collab coilover sleeves are designed to fit perfectly per strut/shock.
    When you order the GC sleeves, you order them to the specific strut/shock you have. Unlike the cheaper ones which use rubber rings that attempt a snug fit.
    Also they have a life time waranty on the Ground Control component (sleeve and perch), also the Eibach component (spring)

You can order the GC sleeves in custom spec meaning, spring rate and size.

Here's my personal experience:
    I like them. Install was easy.
    They have treated me quite well, but I do feel they are noisy and that they creak
    but I do not know if that is specifically the Koni's and GC sleeves, or if it's something else.
    I've gotten custom spring rates for them which was easy.
    Their customer service was great.
    What I like about my set up is that if a shock blows, and I need to get it rebuilt, I can replace the single shock with a stock, or a cheaper replacement (tokico blues, monroe).
    If I have a full coilover, essentially I'd have to replace it with stock suspension throwing my ride height all out of whack in a single corner.
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

I've also heard a lot of the same things for the koni line but was wanting to get some more opinions on it. I'm not really sure how the spring rates and all work but what are you running and how does that all tie in together with handling, drop, etc? Also, is anyone using the koni sport pack? It comes with the yellows and koni lowering springs
    Last edited by Reaper27; 03-12-2012 at 06:38 PM.

There's plenty of info on here about spring rates based on performance and/or drop. Look in the track/autocross sections if you are looking for optimal performance, or the "pictures of your slammed EP" thread if you want to lower/dump your car. There's a lot of options, so choose what your goals with the car are to narrow it down.

Here's the thread on spring rates, post #50 I start talking about the Koni Sport Kit that I have on my EP with my initial reaction, setup, and cost of installation. After two years, I can say I am still very happy with them, it is a 2" drop so the car looks good, and with fiddling with the dampening front to back, the performance is nice. The springs are progressive rates (so you won't find an exact number for the Sport Kit) and not overly stiff, which makes a liveable sporty daily driver, but can get really stiff when you crank the dampers all the way down. In my opinion the Sport Kit is a fantastic all rounder and definitely more fun that stock, but when I get a little more seat time in auto-x and want to start focusing on the car, I will be getting stiffer springs to pair with the Koni's for more auto-x focused performance (and ride height).

Also! At you 2" drop you WILL need camber kits front/rear to correct your alignment.

Here's the thread on the spring rates, go to post #50 for the Sport Kit:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...koni+sport+kit

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
    Someone else will have to chime in here as I don't lower for looks but I don't think Koni Yellows can be lowered as much as other coilovers. 2" might be a reach. Anyone?
    Koni Yellows will work at any ride height but ride and handling will quickly suffer at lower heights due to diminished suspension travel and increasing suspension geometry problems. I'm running Koni Yellows with Hotchkis RSX springs (most similar to Eibach Sports probably). An excellent all around setup. Just enough drop to not look stock and adjustable shock are a must after you've tried them! I'm glad I went with Konis and not Racelands...

I want to change out my struts, tirerack is having a sale on Koni Yellows, how do I know which one to get 50mm or 55mm? I have a 04 Si

I'd personally go with the stiffest springs possible for our car, which I believe are the H&R springs. To my understanding, alot of spring companies don't actually manufacturer with high enough spring rates cause people will complain about the harsh ride. From what I remember H&R springs are the best match, designed for what the car needs, and not designed for rider comfort.

Registered User Her-Name's-Ally's Avatar
    so the GC sleeves do fit on stock struts/shocks although it is not rocommended?

ephatch member
    yes

Hi guys im a noob so i dont understand how coil sleeves attach ( bolt on whatever) to the koni yellows. Like i see there is koni yellows specifically made for the ep3 but the only coil sleeves im seeing is skunk2. But i was wantin to do koni yellows on my ep with the ground control coil sleeves. So what exactly would i have to buy specifically to get this setup?

Thread Information