Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tuned my k24a2 ep3 (Graph, picture, and 1/4 time)

A little background;

I had Hybrid-Racing's first k20a2 Ek in 2003, and my 5th k-series setup. There were many other cars along the way, as well, haha. Although I have raced Hondas, Nissans, and Fords, I always have at least one Honda because of the tuning options. This is my daily.

People post graphs on here but don't say much about the process. I figure I will help a bit with those searching for what a basic bolt on k24a2 may want.

Rundown of the mods. Runs were done in 4th gear (k20a2 trans)

Cut up short ram intake for RBB
    k20z3 intake cam and 50deg vtc.
    The cheapest ep3 ebay shorty header. Previous owner put it on the car with what looks like the stock cat.
    Greddy Evo2 2.36in
    K-pro
    Hybrid-Racing Green/Black Ep3 mounts (Only set in existence, lol)

Nothing crazy.

I found the car liked a lot of cam angle, and a LOW vtec point. The lower I put it, the better torque it made down low. I stopped at 3k, but I'm sure it could make power even lower. Cam angle: 45 degrees to around 4k tapering to 30 degrees at 5k to redline. Its where it made the best torque/power overlay. The dip at 4800 was as good as it gets with this setup, I assume its the crap ass header combo. The a/f sensor in the graph was at the tailpipe, but I am tuning from the OEM sensor location.

The car went 14.1 at 95 two days after the tune, with a nasty headwind and a +1300 DA. It went 13.98 at 97 before the cam/vtc swap, so it should run a lot better in cooler weather. I have a few more things lying around for the car, we will see where it goes.

The civic.

For fun, a dyno run of my Mustang.

was that 14.1 on slicks?

Yep, the 13.9 was on slicks.

That header sure is choking it up! What are your plans in terms of upgrades? Nice car.
    Your most reliable source for K24 swap help and warrantied/papered K24 longblocks. Serving the K-community since 2004.

The Evolution:
    2003 Ep3 - K24A1/K20Z3 Hybrid - currently under the knife
    2001 S2000 - Stock and loving it
    1987 Buick T-Type WE4 - The BEAST

agree nice ep3... switch to a race header and you will be over 200whp for sure.

also what size slicks were you running??

Quote Originally Posted by 1GR8EP3 View Post
    agree nice ep3... switch to a race header and you will be over 200whp for sure.

also what size slicks were you running??
    Thanks! I have used both 22x8's and 24.5's. All on a stock clutch, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    That header sure is choking it up! What are your plans in terms of upgrades? Nice car.
    Appreciate it. I have a couple transmissions from you in my garage (if you're who I am thinking of). I know a different header at minimum. The one on the car leaks slightly, which is pretty annoying. Nitrous probably, as I already use it on another car (and get bottles filled). I have and have everything I need already, I just need time to install/setup/tune it. Maybe a JRSC much later down the road. I don't really race this car much, so its all up in the air.

I still have the turbo setup from one of my k-swapped cars, but I would rather not deal with all that on the ep3.

why did you go with the k20z3 intake cam? i thought the best oem bump sticks for a k-series were the +06 TSX cams.

on that note, i think the z3 cams give better dd mpg than tsx cams. the vtec lobes are the same from what i read.

Quote Originally Posted by PAPITUYO326 View Post
    That header sure is choking it up!
    The header/cat, along with the RBB and the k24a2 head is where his TQ is coming from... and one reason the xover can go that low. The FD in his trans is hurting his 1/4 times. Im surprised he got that much cam advance to work on the RBB mani...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    why did you go with the k20z3 intake cam? i thought the best oem bump sticks for a k-series were the +06 TSX cams.
    I had a set of the cams lying around from one of my old turbo cars motors. I planned on a better header, so threw it in while I put in the 50' vtc.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    on that note, i think the z3 cams give better dd mpg than tsx cams. the vtec lobes are the same from what i read.
    Mostly mixed city nets 28mpg. I never have to go above 1800rpm. Have not done much highway driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    The header/cat, along with the RBB and the k24a2 head is where his TQ is coming from... and one reason the xover can go that low. The FD in his trans is hurting his 1/4 times. Im surprised he got that much cam advance to work on the RBB mani...
    I have a dyno of each full sweep locked at 45, 40, 30, 25, and 20 degrees. I may post a few when I get home. The difference is significant. I doubt my torque will go down with an actual header, but now I have a baseline to show the difference. I'll be sure to post a before/after graph. This is also why I posted this graph, so those with set notions of what "should" work can see what actually does with a specific setup.

Why would you say the k24a2 head contributed to the torque?

Not sure where the comment on the FD comes from. The car has a k20a2 trans, which beyond first gear is pretty short. I ran the car on 22 in slicks and slowed down vs 24.5's. Furthermore, I was crossing the traps at 7400rpm in 4th on the 22's. There is no room for improvement there.
    Last edited by ebrow21; 03-13-2012 at 12:20 PM.

K24a2 head has smallish ports versus a k24a1 or k20z3 head for example. Smallish ports would support the runners of the RBB mani for TQ. Velocity versus flow.

K20a2 6 speed has a 4.3 FD. Plenty of room for improvement with a 4.7 FD. A 5.0 FD would be overkill IMO.

1800 rpms sounds alittle rough on her. I've always taken it to 2.9 - 3.1k. I was told you are working your engine more by shifting at such a low rpm. Especially with our high reving engines.

Quote Originally Posted by ebrow21 View Post
    I have a dyno of each full sweep locked at 45, 40, 30, 25, and 20 degrees. I may post a few when I get home.
    Did you just do a pull on each cam angle and then overlay them... or did you actually TUNE each cam angle (ignition and fuel), and THEN overlay them?

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Did you just do a pull on each cam angle and then overlay them... or did you actually TUNE each cam angle (ignition and fuel), and THEN overlay them?
    this guy

hahaha

btw i like this car. and hybrid racing FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
    this guy

hahaha

btw i like this car. and hybrid racing FTW!

It makes a big difference though... thats the only reason i ask. No harm intended...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information