Close

Post EPS differences?

Ok so I have heard in multiple places that when Honda updated (facelift) the ep3, among other things they changed something with the EPS "based on Honda literature, this facelifted (FL) model was targeted at addressing customers' and critics' feedback such as understeer on the limit (due to the front Macpherson strut setup), numb steering response and lack of low end torque."

So I have done a little searching but to no avail. What is different between the 02-03 and the 04-05 EPS? I am also surprised that no one has worked on swapping parts either from old to new or new to old to supplement this "Criticism". I personally think the EPS is almost indistinguishable from standard (traditional) power steering in other cars under daily driving and some spirited driving (havent had enough experience autox with the EPS yet to really make a personal decision). Unfortunately there is no way to compare an ep3 with EPS vs an ep3 with traditional power steering to get a real comparison. If anyone with some experience could chime in I would appreciate it. I will post similar threads on H-T and cep3 seeking knowledge as well. Thanks for your time

CLIFF NOTES:
    What is different in EPS between EP3 gens?
    Can parts be swapped between generations so for example a pre-facelift model could have these benefits of better p/s?
    Would it even be worth the time, money, or effort to swap/source such parts?

I love the EPS in my 05. My steering is quite responsive, plus it doesn't have the parasitic losses that a traditional power steering system has.

I've heard of people using it in RSXs before, but never changing an 02-03 unit for an 04-05. Not sure if there is a difference or not.

Ya I honestly love mine in my 02' and love the fact there is no parasitic drag as you mentioned. I could be biased tho going from a Crx for the past three years I'm just glad to have this "luxury" with no performance draw backs. I wish I knew someone with an 04-05 locally I could try to compare the two. I have heard from several places that the eps was changed during the facelift but nothing specific :-/ hopefully someone can shed some light. I there is a beneficial difference I'd like to find one from a facelift and swap stuffs . Oem parts ftw

I had never heard that the steering rack was revised.

I don't know any of this from first hand experience, but I dug through Majestic's catalog and these were the differences I saw.

First off the whole steering rack assembly has different part #s.
    02: 53606-S5T-A61 011 001 RACK ASSY., POWER STEERING
    04: 53606-S6A-G31 011 001 RACK ASSY., POWER STEERING

So then if you look at the steering rack components these are the part numbers that differ:
    02: 53602-S5T-G01 011 001 MOTOR
    04: 53602-S6A-G31 011 001 MOTOR SET

02: 53611-S5T-G32 015 001 HOUSING, SLIDER
    04: 53611-S5A-G61 015 001 HOUSING, SLIDER

Obviously different part numbers only tell you so much.

If it truly is an upgrade the motor would be trivial to swap, but the housing would be an involved job.

hmmm interesting, I am wondering if the teeth on the cog in the motor is larger or actuates quicker. I know that may sound dumb as I have almost zero knowledge to the workings of the EPS system, but I imagine that something response related would be the cause of an upgrade

Thread Information