Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So how many of yal still use the K24a1?

So how many of yal still use the K24a1? I see alot of people using the k24a2, what you all got no love for the a1 anymore?

k24a1 is a great motor. That's what I plan on using when I switch over. From what I recall, people first using K24s were all using the A2. It was only after that people started using the A1.

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    most people use a k24a1 if they're planning on b00sting it. k24a2s are a better engine for all motor IMO:)

Thats what i figured, that it was a excelent motor and superb for boost. Its been a while since i last did some research on whats the current new swap hype these days. Last thing i remember, everyone wanted to do the k20/k24 hybrid (k20a2 head/k24a1 bottom). Indeed i did read at one point on the k24a2, i found it was more of a motor preference for an all motor setup but we got these turboed a2s running around now days which is still cool. I was currious as too if people were getting rid of their a1s and going for these a2s now days for a boosted set up.

*Side note*. I plan on getting the k24a1 and comparing it with AKEP's a2 in the boosted realm of performace. Just something to look forward too. I wouldnt mind starting a friendly debate on which motor is better for boost and which is better for all motor.

I would say a k24a1 with a killer vtec setup. You have that big lobe effect to kill some of that monster turbo lag at low rpms. Maybe throw in some k24a2 rods/ crank to maintain that power but have that k24a1 pistons for a semi low and safe cr.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah1219 View Post
    I would say a k24a1 with a killer vtec setup. You have that big lobe effect to kill some of that monster turbo lag at low rpms. Maybe throw in some k24a2 rods/ crank to maintain that power but have that k24a1 pistons for a semi low and safe cr.
    Thats exactly what AKEP just told me, he said "the A1s 2 lobes are going to suck." I prob wont swap out cams till later after the comparison unless he adds cams to his. The A1s block is going to remain stock though.

I'd say stock A1, ARP headstuds and boost the shit out of it. Don't worry about the head or anything else. The displacement will spool it up just fine unless you're running something crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by gtolio View Post
    I'd say stock A1, ARP headstuds and boost the shit out of it. Don't worry about the head or anything else. The displacement will spool it up just fine unless you're running something crazy.

Thats the master plan!!!!!!!!!

500whp all day.

Whats your setup? Are you swapped also?

Cams way way before head work. K-heads flow like crazy out of the box. However, I'm building a K24a2. But the k24 bottom end regardless is amazing for boost.

Quote Originally Posted by gtolio View Post
    Not necessarily. Depends what turbo. Even k24's have a bit of trouble spooling with gt35/precision 62/62 or larger. I guess it all depends what what you want out of it. My 62/62 takes a second to spool, but when it does, it's pretty instant.

honestly best turbo all around that i could find is a gt30r variant. 35r is a bit too big but runs the best efficiency, on paper anyways.

pat i got some plans for you.

id run a lightly reinforced (type s oil pump/ arp head studs) k24a4 on boost for a budget boosted motor. the motors go for like $400 so blowing it up wouldnt be the main concern, more like traction. with 500whp and 400wtq it would be pretty solid.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63867

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    Not necessarily. Depends what turbo. Even k24's have a bit of trouble spooling with gt35/precision 62/62 or larger. I guess it all depends what what you want out of it. My 62/62 takes a second to spool, but when it does, it's pretty instant.
    Yeah, I guess it depends on what you define lag as. I'm running a Turbonetics 60-1 (granted, a little bit smaller than a 6262, but still a mid-sized turbo) and it takes a second too, but I think that helps me hook up a bit better as well. A friend of mine had almost the exact same setup with the same turbo on his B16 and it took all day for it to spool compared to mine. I'm sure a K24 would spool it that much faster than my A3. It's all relative and displacement certainly puts it a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by differentK View Post
    id run a lightly reinforced (type s oil pump/ arp head studs) k24a4 on boost for a budget boosted motor. the motors go for like $400 so blowing it up wouldnt be the main concern, more like traction. with 500whp and 400wtq it would be pretty solid.

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63867
    Ha! That's so funny, I'm friends with that guy. When you were describing it, I was like "that sounds just like Mo's car..." lol Then I clicked the link.

It was fucking fast, let me tell you. I still wonder about the K24A4 rods, but he ran it like that for years (literally years) with no issues. I think he just got something new though.
    Last edited by gtolio; 04-12-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information