Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Weak points on turbo K20A3

What's up guys.

As some of you know, I'm currently running a bone stock (head and block) K20A3 with a 60-1 Turbonetics Cybernation kit. The car is currently making 322whp/268tq at 8.5-9lbs of boost. I have the fuel cutoff set at 7600rpm (8k readout on the stock tach), because I'm concerned with the stock valvetrain keeping up beyond that.

What I'm wondering, from the people who actually know and HAVE EXPERIENCE, is what would the weak points of that motor will be if I was to turn the boost up (10-12 range) and update the tune. I want to know so that we can plan the tune around these issues as much as possible.

It is my opinion and has been my experience that the A3 is a highly underrated motor. People regularly say that they can't handle more than 300whp, but I have been doing that all day for 4 years with no issues (recent compression test came up fine) To me, it's all in the tune. I have a feeling that a lot of people have blown them because of bad tunes or other issues

If/when this thing blows up, I'll do a K24A1, but I want to see what it can do in the mean time, so please spare me the "just swap it" comments. I'm well aware of what other K-series motors can do.

Sorry for the dissertation, just wanted to give as much info as possible.

ephatch member
    the usual response and past results have shown that it is usually the rods that are the weak link. I watched Ebizzle blow his motor at the track with 338hp on his a3. The rod made a big a$$ hole in the block.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    the usual response and past results have shown that it is usually the rods that are the weak link. I watched Ebizzle blow his motor at the track with 338hp on his a3. The rod made a big a$$ hole in the block.
    I assume the root cause was the rods themselves and not the rod bearings? What was he revving to? Was there any sign of detonation?
    Last edited by gtolio; 04-23-2012 at 12:20 PM.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    What type of dyno were u tuned on?

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    What type of dyno were u tuned on?
    Dynojet

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Shoot Tai from Corsport a PM. He was running pretty much exactly what you are asking, had a good tune, and EVENTUALLY (not as fast as other did) blew the a3, but it was around quite a long time that way from what I recall. I'm sure he'll be able to answer most of your questions.

Rods, rod bolts, valve springs.
    You're welcome

Valvetrain is deff a weak point on a3s....I blew my stock motor at 39000 miles after having the hondata reflash for about a year and a half. Junk

I'm unsure of any detonation. I am sure that it ran awesome at 307hp for a while, then we put meth on it and retuned it and made the power stated above and didnt run for very much longer after that. I think the rev limit was set at 7600, if that. Dont really recall. But it ran hard after the tune. Then slung a rod. Didn't inspect too much beside the fact that a rod broke. I say, if you have plans for that k24a1, then turn the boost up and have fun. Do some testing for yourself and see what the results are. maybe they'll be better for you. Then when it happens, which I ASSUME it will, put that a1 in there and have some more fun. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Thanks guys.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    Yeah by the time you upgrade the number of internals in the A3 that would need attention, you'd be at least halfway to the price of a K24a1.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

I'm not going to upgrade the A3 long block when I can have a K24A1 in my car for $600. The plan is just to know where the weak points are so that we have an accurate assessment of what it can handle going forward and to know what kind of things to avoid in terms of the tune.

Push it man, if we got these old school D16 fuckers pushing over 300whp with stock bottom ends and slightly built heads why can't the A3 do it too?

i think 10-12psi should have you set, keep your rev limit or hell lower it if your worried and go for gold, if you have a good tuner than you have nothing to worry about, just make sure you stress to him you want to keep it conservative lol

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    i think 10-12psi should have you set, keep your rev limit or hell lower it if your worried and go for gold, if you have a good tuner than you have nothing to worry about, just make sure you stress to him you want to keep it conservative lol
    He's pretty good about knowing where the limits are. I think it'll be fine too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information