Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by vividk20 View Post
    I'm with the original poster...when I blow up my a3 I'll be doing a motor swap, just can't explain to the wife why I should swap the motor if it's still running fine. Good luck and keep us posted on how the car's running.
    Just do what I did take the k20a3 up to redline in 5th gear and wait till you snap a rod -_- too easy

let us know how much you got away with when you do it.

I need a new map sensor and the boost by gear solenoid before I up it, but hopefully later this summer. My wife is in nursing school, so we're trying to save as much as we can right now.

The car is still running like a champ though. The other night, I was coming home from a local meet at 1:30 in the morning. A C6 (non Z06) wanted to play on the highway. We did 5+ pulls and it pulled hard on the Vette each and every time, even when they got the jump on me. 60 or 70 to 120.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Shoot Tai from Corsport a PM. He was running pretty much exactly what you are asking, had a good tune, and EVENTUALLY (not as fast as other did) blew the a3, but it was around quite a long time that way from what I recall. I'm sure he'll be able to answer most of your questions.
    ya and that motor is still on display in the shop too lol love tai

Has anyone been able to update this thread with their respective K20a3 endeavors?

i know its been ages since the thread has been updated, but i would love to imagine there are still ppl out there on boost for yrs

How are they holding up?

I have a good friend of mine that has a boosted a3 still and motor is still holding up just fine. He doesn't beat on it everyday and hardly drives it but still going strong

I'll let you guys know how i go in 2weeks when i get my ecu back and i take it to get tuned. I live in new zealand so gotta wait for my ecu to get back here from the USA, sooner the better lol, if i make 350whp i will be so happy, its only my daily driver so i wont be taking it to the track or anything, is 12psi safe on the A3?

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    I have a good friend of mine that has a boosted a3 still and motor is still holding up just fine. He doesn't beat on it everyday and hardly drives it but still going strong
    looking forward to hearing similar reports as yours. any idea of the power he is maintaining?

If memory serves me correctly, from this forum back when I had my 1st ep, back in 06, I'd read that one of the weak links in the a3 was the oil pump, which can't keep up with revs above 6900 rpm. Its a problem unique to the a3, and it doesn't take much imagination to come up with the list of problems that can cause

Quote Originally Posted by dcjive View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, from this forum back when I had my 1st ep, back in 06, I'd read that one of the weak links in the a3 was the oil pump, which can't keep up with revs above 6900 rpm. Its a problem unique to the a3, and it doesn't take much imagination to come up with the list of problems that can cause
    The oil pump is the same as the A2 so I’m pretty sure it can keep up oil pressure at those RPM. Don’t believe me, get part numbers for both model cars and you will see that it is the same.

I got a stock k20a3 turbo making about 275HP at 15psi of boost. Issues that arose was stock clutch and stock fuel system limiting the Potential Horsepower that it could make. Changed to stage 4 clutch and now have a return fuel set up with regulator to run E85 with injectors and fuel pump. The HP gains per pound of boost is about 7.6, my set up is rated for about 300-400 horses before I run into turbo problems, but for the build that’s plenty. Raising boost to about 25psi and adding E85 which is automatically a 50HP gain in most cases. The car would make about 400 theoretically. Or use 5psi less and be at 20psi and be about 360HP. Sounds realistic to me given what the car has achieved already, and having cooling properties from running E85 let’s hope the engine can last.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information