Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Oh I will for sure, I'm undecided on injector choice, I have Siemens 650's now and I hate the drivability of them and the idle quality but I can't afford new ID1000's so I'm gonna try and source a used set, and I'm doing everything off the wastegate. No boost solenoid/controller, so it's not like I can turn it down to 9 and say I lasted 100000 miles on 12psi lol

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post

What we really need to see is a dyno numbers for the Si, RSX-S and S2000 from an independent dyno. Furthermore, we need to see a dyno from the Si with the hondata flash tuned for an intake, header and exhaust.

My question: Is it possible to maintain the good low RPM characteristics of the K20A3 while simultaneously improving the high RPM characteristics? A Hondata flash seems like it would help, but a change in cams may be in order. It doesn't look like Toda makes cams for the K20A3, so it looks like we're out of luck.

Why do I ask? Simple. You can get a Civic Si for well under MSRP. My friend picked one up for $17K out the door. Compared tto a RSX-S at $24K, you have about $7K to work with (assuming that you like the look of the Si ;-)). Anyway, if Toda made their engine kit for the K20A3 (or if you could use the K20A kit) and sold it for $2400, you'd still have $4.6K to work with. Is it possible to make a Civic Si perform as well as a similarly modded RSX-S?
    I would think that the reason that the power is greater down low is because the fake vtec begins at around 2800 on the a3, to get it moving.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    I would think that the reason that the power is greater down low is because the fake vtec begins at around 2800 on the a3, to get it moving.
    It's not "fake" VTEC. VTEC = Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. Doesn't matter if it's two lobe or three lobe or any lobe. VTEC is VTEC. Also, it engages at 2200 RPMS on K24A1/4/6/8 and K20A3/Z2. Quoted from Wiki:

"VTEC was initially designed to increase the power output of an engine to 100 HP/litre or more while maintaining practicality for use in mass production vehicles. Some later variations of the system were designed solely to provide improvements in fuel efficiency."

And yes, it makes power faster below 6000RPMS because the profile for the secondary lobe is larger than the primary lobes on the three lobe VTEC engines.
    Last edited by USAF EP3; 05-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Also flips over at 2200rpms....

All that was repostings that were posted almost 10 years ago when the 02-03 Si came out.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    It's not "fake" VTEC. VTEC = Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. Doesn't matter if it's two lobe or three lobe or any lobe. VTEC is VTEC. Also, it engages at 2200 RPMS on K24A1/4/6/8 and K20A3/Z2. Quoted from Wiki:

"VTEC was initially designed to increase the power output of an engine to 100 HP/litre or more while maintaining practicality for use in mass production vehicles. Some later variations of the system were designed solely to provide improvements in fuel efficiency."

And yes, it makes power faster below 6000RPMS because the profile for the secondary lobe is larger than the primary lobes on the three lobe VTEC engines.
    I was joking. Most people think of vtec as increasing horsepower, not improving fuel economy. Hence the "fake" word.

Why try to push the a3 to 350 whp and worry every time you go wot... well you have plans already if it blows so why not just test it out and prove us all wrong.. they just mention swaps cuz its gonna be more reliable than the a3..

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    if anyone were to attest to the struggles of the a3 i can testify to that.. i bought my car with 38k on it, drove it untuned with bolt ons to 50k, bought kpro.. beat on it some more .. turbo'd at 60k made 263 on 7psi, ran the car at 10psi on the street.. drove it half way across the country and back, took the turbo kit off at 75k, beat on it some more til 90k, and went vtec killer with six speed trans after that up til 106k when i pulled the motor, still strong, sold it to a friend who is gonna put it in a civic coupe. the motor is def strong in terms of taking a beating, i think the biggest thing on why people have seen soo many fuck ups is because of tuning. tuning makes everything legit and if you dont have an on point tune you're just gonna be motherfucking the motor even more and more.. seeing that the OP has been boosted for 4 years alone puts that talk to rest, and i've heard of stock blocks making excess of 380whp.. i'd say to give it a go, i know Dan is gonna try the same and see what happens

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    Why try to push the a3 to 350 whp and worry every time you go wot... well you have plans already if it blows so why not just test it out and prove us all wrong.. they just mention swaps cuz its gonna be more reliable than the a3..
    if you read the thread u would realize why.. its not to make the power its to prove that the power can be made... it's called venturing lol

Quote Originally Posted by gtimportfanatic View Post
    if you read the thread u would realize why.. its not to make the power its to prove that the power can be made... it's called venturing lol
    Venturing is fun but not on a daily driver, unless you have a back up engine. I had to worry too much on my setup when i was venturing.

Quote Originally Posted by gtimportfanatic View Post
    I did read the whole thread and I understand what he is trying to do. Of course he will make the power but how long will it last? If its my dd, I wouldn't think twice wasting my money to prove a point. Well good luck on it if you go.

i went through a couple a3's when i was on a turbo setup.

it is a very underrated torquey motor when on boost. however the rods are a definite weakpoint when moving into the mid-300s. low 300hp and a safe tune though you should be good to go no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by stepintoliquid View Post
    i went through a couple a3's when i was on a turbo setup.

it is a very underrated torquey motor when on boost. however the rods are a definite weakpoint when moving into the mid-300s. low 300hp and a safe tune though you should be good to go no worries.
    Careful. Any attempt to bring logic into this thread by stating oem a3 parts are sub-par will result in ridicule.

wait, a3 parts are sub-par though...

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    wait, a3 parts are sub-par though...
    Shhhhh! They will hear you. The A3 building money wasters that have to prove to the forums and the world that the a3 can handle 300+ hp, forever.

I'm with the original poster...when I blow up my a3 I'll be doing a motor swap, just can't explain to the wife why I should swap the motor if it's still running fine. Good luck and keep us posted on how the car's running.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information