Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5 to 6 Speed Feedback

I'm very close to replacing my 5 speed with an 02-04 RSX-S 6 Speed. I have a DC5-R LSD in my 5 Speed and would swap it over with the 4.764 final drive.

Before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure this is worth doing so I'm looking for feedback from those that have done it. To make comments more relevant, below is my current setup.

K24a2 - 200whp
    5 Speed / LSD
    EMM inserts
    General use is daily driver and autox

AKA Purple94coupe Euro-Yellow-Ep3's Avatar
    In for info

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

From what I have read the 6 speed is just better for gas mileage, I have the 5sp with my k24a2 and would never change to a 6sp

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP0801 View Post
    From what I have read the 6 speed is just better for gas mileage, I have the 5sp with my k24a2 and would never change to a 6sp
    The FD will be 4.764 and the RSX-S 6th gear is the same as 5th on the 5 Speed -- so they will be the same. Acceleration in each gear looks like it will be much better but will require more shifting.

Closer gear ratios are better for acceleration, of course but yes will require more shifting. People start to talk about the TSX 6th gear when they start talking gas mileage.

The k20z3 (06-11) Si transmission is ideal from everything I've ever read up on. I believe it has the same exact gear ratios as the DC5-R, and the OEM LSD, but cheaper cause it's not JDM as fawwk. Yea, you have to convert a few things, but from what I heard it's easy. I know you already have a LSD, but i'm just throwing out some info.

The boosted guys like the 5-speed with the longer gears, mainly the 3rd gear in the EP3 trans.

I'm not sure which transmissions have which FD, but.. The general rule of thumb is this: Boost = 5 speed, NA = 6 speed. Again, not in ALL cases, but this is what I've seen most commonly. It also makes sense, so I would have to agree with it. And of course, the 6 speed is ideal for track/autoX.

Quote Originally Posted by iDom View Post
    Closer gear ratios are better for acceleration, of course but yes will require more shifting. People start to talk about the TSX 6th gear when they start talking gas mileage.

The k20z3 (06-11) Si transmission is ideal from everything I've ever read up on. I believe it has the same exact gear ratios as the DC5-R, and the OEM LSD, but cheaper cause it's not JDM as fawwk. Yea, you have to convert a few things, but from what I heard it's easy. I know you already have a LSD, but i'm just throwing out some info.

The boosted guys like the 5-speed with the longer gears, mainly the 3rd gear in the EP3 trans.

I'm not sure which transmissions have which FD, but.. The general rule of thumb is this: Boost = 5 speed, NA = 6 speed. Again, not in ALL cases, but this is what I've seen most commonly. It also makes sense, so I would have to agree with it. And of course, the 6 speed is ideal for track/autoX.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Ok, yea, 4/5/6 are a little different, but not anything that'd be noticeable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by iDom View Post
    Ok, yea, 4/5/6 are a little different, but not anything that'd be noticeable IMO.
    Different from what? The 5 Speed?

No, the DC5-R compared to the 06-11 Si

Definitely do the 6 speed swap. Just remember that swapping the FD means you need to change out the countershaft AND the ring gear. So if youre gonna do that, you might as well swap out the syncs on 1/2 gears and be sure to order new countershaft bearings and the retaining bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Definitely do the 6 speed swap. Just remember that swapping the FD means you need to change out the countershaft AND the ring gear. So if youre gonna do that, you might as well swap out the syncs on 1/2 gears and be sure to order new countershaft bearings and the retaining bolt.
    Oh? Good to know. When I spoke with the transmission shop they asked me similar questions but I wasn't sure how to answer. I assume the countershaft and ring gear come out of the 5 Speed and go into the 6 Speed?

The transmission I have a line on has barely 10,000 miles on it so do I need to replace the bearings or syncro's?

why not keep the 5 speed and make it to a 6 speed to save gas? or you doing it for faster acceleration?

heres a link for the conversion.
    http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    why not keep the 5 speed and make it to a 6 speed to save gas? or you doing it for faster acceleration?

heres a link for the conversion.
    http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html
    although the 6th gear would be nice, I rarely drive on the highway. My goal is better acceleration, especially for 3rd gear.
    Last edited by zzfinaldropzz; 04-24-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add more sales

oh i seen daily driven so i put it

Im on my Droid so this will be brief but the EP 5 speed has triple synchros on 1/2 gears only. If you can upgrade to any native 6 speed you will end up with a better trans for sprited driving.

Ill respond on the rest a lil later today...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information