Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy smoke!!

Crazy smoke!!

Well got my new turbo setup back in December and put about 1000 miles on it. Here I am 5 months later and haven't driven my car in like 3 weeks. One day I was leaving work and pulled out on a main road 4 lanes and got on it and hit 2nd and the car felt strange when I gave it gas. Then while I was sitting in traffic the car started to smoke burning oil smell. It was a cloud since I had the e-cut out open it was coming out from under both sides of the car and under the hood. So I shut the dump and got home without getting on it at all I live like 10 minutes from my work. Now I have no clue what it is I got valve seals like 6 months ago never installed them and wonder if its them or some fried rings in one of my cylinders. How can I tell what my problem is? Help please!

Compression test will tell you if it's the rings. Also, when you pull the spark plugs, look into the cylinders and check for oil pooling on the top (or coolant/water).

What turbo are you using? Cheaper turbo's will have cheap thrust washers that will cause a leak once they are overburdened.

Valve stem seals will not create a cloud of smoke that you are experiencing so you can scratch that off.

Last time I had a friend have this symptom it ended up being an incorrectly gapped and clocked oil control piston ring.

It is a precision 5252e.

My motor has 67,000 on it.

I've had an issue with this in the past, so I'll try to help.

Easiest and cheapest fix is to try a thicker oil. If the motor is built a bit loose, run 15-50 Mobil 1. Don't listen to the haters, it works, and works perfectly. If its not built to a looser spec, I would still try it, won't hurt anything, just let it warm up a bit longer after a cold start.

If you are running a side mount manifold, most of them mount the turbo at a slight angle, and this allows oil to collect after a cool down. Oil will sit in the turbo, and not blow out until you really get on it.

The next most probable cause is a bad turbo seal, or not letting the seal warm up. What I mean by this: newer Precision turbos use a "dynamic" seal, that isn't effective until after the turbo has reached full operating temperature, and all the excess oil has been blown out/drained back into pan via return.

Last thing I would worry about is the rings. A compression check will let you know what's up with that. Any engine builder worth his salt will try to make it consistent as much as possible across all cylinders, but sometimes one may be a bit wide, causing oil to blow by. I don't believe that is your issue, as it would more than likely smoke all the time.

Best of luck.

My motor is all stock and I am running a top mount manifold.

check your IC piping for oil. thats a sign your turbo seals have gone bad. not sure if that works on both sides of the turbo but i imagine it would be safe to assume that if theres oil on one side, its leaking on the other. or sucking it up through the intake... check your wheel for play?

one part that got me was my return line coming loose (i didn't want to overtighten the AN fittings) and then also the cheap gasket blowing out somehow. try looking there.

Thanks I'll look into that also.

Blown turbo??? I Think so!!

Wow

That sucks man. Time to go with a more quality turbo!! Garrett or Borg Warner I would recommend

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    Wow
    That's what I said when I removed the v-band clamp!

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    That sucks man. Time to go with a more quality turbo!! Garrett or Borg Warner I would recommend
    The turbo is only 4 months old it's still under warranty... lol

Still Precision is cheap compared to the other companies. They outsourced all their bearings and internals to be made in China. They used to be made here but not any more.

Like I tell everyone man, you get what you pay for, lol. Pretty pathetic that it's only 4 months old and it went to shit.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    Still Precision is cheap compared to the other companies. They outsourced all their bearings and internals to be made in China. They used to be made here but not any more.

Like I tell everyone man, you get what you pay for, lol. Pretty pathetic that it's only 4 months old and it went to shit.
    I hear what your saying I want to see what they are gonna do about it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information